Lightning

JDM Flip Chip question if you will >>

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile JDM Flip Chip question if you will >>

I have the JDM Flip Chip burned for street (switch to the driver-side position) and track (switch to the passenger-side position).

When I was at JDM the week before last, Rich mentioned briefly that after switching between modes (engine off, ignition off, of course) that it may take a few miles for the computer to relearn the new mode. I had so many things going through my mind that it flew right over my head and I didn't ask for a clarification.

My question is..does anyone know a guesstimate as to how long this could actually take? Or an average # of miles it takes for the 'relearn' process to take place?

Appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 07-03-2002, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Dan,

Flipping the switch instantly changes which physical EEPROM chip inside the Flip Chip the ECU is taking it's instructions from (you already know that), but it's still going to take some miles & drive cycles for the ECU to pick up certain changes, a bit longer in 2001 & up L's. This happens anytime you clear the ECU or change it's programming. How long? That depends in part on the exact differences between the 2 programs, and whether we're talking about the performance difference at the drag strip, or in just day-to-day driving. With your combination, which is in use by a lot of Lightnings in terms of that type of dual program setup (street & track) it can be anywhere from as long as 50 to a few hundred miles. The basic 'relearn" happens very quickly, usually not much more than about 20 miles & a couple of drive cycles (and can be less), and then it takes longer to see the effect of adaptive strategy on tuning, usually about 300-350 miles for tuning purposes.

When you change programs from the street prog. to the more aggressive prog., you'll generally pick up some power & ET right away, on your first pass (clear the ECU after changing programs when testing performance). Your quickest times as a result of the program change will usually take at least take a few passes, as Rich mentioned. I think that's the basic answer you were looking for.

If you ever want to do back-to-back "testing" of the performance difference between the 2 programs, clear the ECU to begin with (before the first 1/4 mile or dyno run), as well as after each program change, so that each time you run you're starting from scratch, so to speak, with regard to the basic relearn cycle & the adaptive strategy adjustments that will occur as you accumulate miles. Allow a 20-30 minute cooldown time between runs to stabilize powertrain temperatures as well. Some people like to do a 3-run format, with the first pass being on the stock or least aggressive program, the second being the aggressive program, and 3rd run again on the least aggressive program. That generally works best for a stock-chipped-stock type of comparison, for example.

I hope that helps a bit, maybe Jim will drop by and give us his take on this in a bit more detail.

Old 07-03-2002, 01:50 PM
Thanks, Mike! That was a lot to take in. I'm going to re-read it a few times and if I come up with any other questions, I'll post.

Thanks again!

Dan

Old 07-03-2002, 05:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
don't know about superchips, but the autologic chips take right away,

each of the 3 programs i have are good for almost exactly .12 in the 1/4, i can go up back, run a couple then switch, and it's always the same

Old 07-03-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Superchips_Distributor
Hi Dan,

This happens anytime you clear the ECU

(clear the ECU after changing programs when testing performance).

If you ever want to do back-to-back "testing" of the performance difference between the 2 programs, clear the ECU to begin with (before the first 1/4 mile or dyno run), as well as after each program change, so that each time you run you're starting from scratch.

By 'clear the ECU'..what exactly do you mean? How is that done other than shutting off the ignition and flipping the switch? Pardon my ignance.

Thanks again.

Dan

Old 07-03-2002, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disconnect the battery and turn on the headlights to "drain" any remainding power

Quick Reply: JDM Flip Chip question if you will >>