Lightning

G-Tech Pro.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-Tech Pro.

I was wondering how accurate the G-Tech Pro is to the real thing. Is it a pretty reliable source for 1/4 mile times? Is it worth getting?

Old 07-01-2002, 09:43 AM
Do a search.........I took one to the track with me and ran something like 13.11 at 106 mph and the gtech on that run said, something like 13.10 at 111 mph. The times are very reliable but the mph is not. They are also good for 0-60 times. My best was a 4.4 second.

Old 07-01-2002, 09:45 AM
I just got the G-Tech Pro/Competition this weekend from my wife for our 5th anniversary. The literature says it's accurate to 5 100th's. When I run at the track I'll post on how it compares to my timeslips.

It's kind of cool - I had to calibrate the accelerometers yesterday, and key in the vehicle weight, and do an RPM calibration. This thing is way different than the old POS version.

Old 07-01-2002, 02:30 PM
SO, i guess they are pretty reliable.

Old 07-01-2002, 03:07 PM
I might actually make it out to the track for our Car Club Bash this month. If I do, I'll post timeslip-to-G-Tech comparisons.

Old 07-01-2002, 04:03 PM
My buddy took his G-Tech Pro to Beech Bend and did timeslip comparisons in his WS6. The times were *consistently* .5 sec off and 4mph off. (Actual trap speed faster and actual ET lower.) As long as the G-Tech is consistent, then great!

The units seem to vary one to the other.

Old 07-01-2002, 04:18 PM
Holy crap! .5 seconds off? Did he have all his calibrations done properly?

Old 07-01-2002, 11:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Madhouse
Holy crap! .5 seconds off? Did he have all his calibrations done properly?
1/2 second is only 4% off on a 13 sec run. That's not bad at all. Dynos, speedos, and even tachs are off by more than 4% all the time. The other gauges on the car would be lucky to get anywhere near 4%.

As noted above, the benefit of the $140! GTech is its consistency, not its absolute accuracy. Its primary use is to get rid of the butt dyno in gauging effectiveness of modifications. I have the Pro and love it. But I recently ordered the Competition for the enhanced user interface and, hopefully, better absolute accuracy. Looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Old 07-02-2002, 12:45 AM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
when you calibrate these things... don't you have to put in your vehicle weight with driver... maybe it's not accurate as some people guess their weight and it's not close... that will screw things up.

Old 07-02-2002, 01:33 AM
I have used a g-tech on my truck and found it to be less than .1 second off every time. The MPH will be off, by roughly 4 - 6mph on a stock L, and probably by more the faster you go.

The only thing you need to set for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times is you need the road to be level, which it will be at the strip, so you just set it to read 0.0 G's and you're set. To calculate HP is the only time that you need to enter the weight of the vehicle (that's weight of the truck plus you ) For $140, its a great buy, really useful in determining the effectiveness of your mods!

-Mike

Old 07-06-2002, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by '00WhiteLightneeen
I have used a g-tech on my truck and found it to be less than .1 second off every time. The MPH will be off, by roughly 4 - 6mph on a stock L, and probably by more the faster you go.

The only thing you need to set for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times is you need the road to be level, which it will be at the strip, so you just set it to read 0.0 G's and you're set. To calculate HP is the only time that you need to enter the weight of the vehicle (that's weight of the truck plus you ) For $140, its a great buy, really useful in determining the effectiveness of your mods!

-Mike
I agree. Plus, while the trap speeds are "off" in the sense that they read higher than the track, that is not a weakness is the GTech. Tracks calculate top speed by measuring the time between two sensors 60' apart (the finish line and a sensor 60' towards the start line). The GTech gives you true MPH as you cross the line. The track MPH will always be lower, assuming you are still accelerating over the last 60'.

Old 07-06-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Talleywacker
when you calibrate these things... don't you have to put in your vehicle weight with driver... maybe it's not accurate as some people guess their weight and it's not close... that will screw things up.
True that, luckily I know mine from weighing in at the track - 4710 w/ my big azz in it.

Quick Reply: G-Tech Pro.