Lightning

Intake oil good news & bad news

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake oil good news & bad news

I installed the little oil trap many have tried. Initially it caught quite a bit of oil. I decided to pull my blower and clean the I/C now that the oil problem was under control. Well as I disconnected all the PCV lines I found oil after the trap. Some how the oil is getting puller past the trap. I plan to try Jay's set up next with a much larger trap.

The good news is once I got the blower off everything looked clean. No build on the I/C at all. Also zero teflon flaking from the impeller rotors.

Back out to re-install everything.

Old 06-30-2002, 01:29 PM
You can thank the oil for the clean rotors. You should see the ones that don't get any oil in them after a while. The teflon is burnt to a crisp. The oil seams to keep everything nice and lubricated and smooth running. IMHO
Hey, but what do I know?

Old 06-30-2002, 05:47 PM
Silver- Bolt, I showed the oil filter to Marcus at the Venom dyno day. I pulled off the output pipe and showed him. 6 weeks, and not any vapor has accumulated there.

I don't think that he filter size has anything to do with the oil going through it. Rather, it's the port size.

The PVC lines are 5/8" OD. that makes them about 1/2" on the inside. The smaller Home Depot type of filters have 1/4" ports.

When you take the airflow through a 1/2; opening and squeeze it into an opening about 1/4" in dia., you increase the velocity of the airflow. The liquid that is suspended in the airflow will have a tendency to stay in suspension, and flow through the filter.

Old 06-30-2002, 10:09 PM
Jay,
You may have something there.

Quick Reply: Intake oil good news & bad news