Lightning

Flip chip working????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flip chip working????????

Anyone else experiencing this?

Got a flip chip. installed it. Checked 5 times on the pin connections to make sure there was contact and that they were clean... that part I KNOW is fine.

Chip was programmed (according to documentation) with Side 1 being 93 octane street perfomance, and side 2 being Stock program.

Disconnected the neg batt term & installed the chip, taped it in and set it to side 1. Went out and played...

worked great... shifts firmer, revs higher, pulls harder, etc... definate performance increase. Block heater seal blows and blows coolant everywhere... time to take it to dealership, so I pulled the battery and took the chip out just to avoid and potential issue with the dealership.

They repaired, got it back. Re-installed chip in the proper manner and re-taped. Side one now seems to be stock, and side two is performance 60% of the time!?!!?! I'm drawing this conclusion based on SHIFT RPM... much higher on performance mode... but how/why are things opposite and not reliable? I checked the switch 5 times for continuity and for side labeling. I'm not getting the two sides confused.

Anyone care to attempt this one? I feel like such a tard asking this as it seems like a case of contact problems or mistaken switch sides. But I have checked it all over and over...

Old 05-03-2002, 02:20 PM
beefcake2002L

Check the contacts again, both on the PCM AND on the chip. This is ALMOST ALWAYS the problem.
A couple of more things:
When you installed the chip, did you remove the metal bracket (two screws) which the PCM is clipped to and the flatten out the bracket edge where the it meets the chip?
If not, the bracket gets wedged between the chip and the PCM can cause the chip to become loose enough while driving re sulting in intermittant contact with the PCM. This happens even when the chip is securely taped to the PCM.
The other thing you should know is that the 01-02 chips need time to "learn" for optimal performance.
After you straighten out the bracket and clear the PCM, put your chip back in and leave it in your street program for 50-70 miles minimum, with several key/on, key/off cycles.
If none of this helps, contact Jim when he gets back from Texas next week. Give him the numbers on the back of your chip and have him verify how it is programmed.
A question for you,
Why would you want one side to be "stock" anyway?
You can remove the chip to get that in about the same time as it takes to flip the switch.

Lightning Bob

Old 05-03-2002, 03:29 PM
Lightning Bob

I did modify the bracket.

I will check contact and run for a while and see if it changes...

You have a good point about the stock switch... the only reason I wanted it was to flip if I was valet parking or if I had a minor warranty issue...

I guess I see your point... I didn't really see any other programs I wanted at this time, but wanted to flexibility of a flip chip for down the road.

Thanks for the advice... I'll puts around tonight and see what I can come up with...

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Flip chip working????????