Lightning

Are Cut outs good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Cut outs good?

I was thinking about getting some cut outs done on my L Is this a good idea? If so where do I get them put in before or after the cats? I also thought about going with strait pipes after the cats. What do you guys think?

Old 05-02-2002, 10:18 PM
From everything i have seen so far on the forum i would have to say NO. There great if you want to make alot of noise but ive read that some ppl loose power with them due to a decrease in back pressure.

Old 05-03-2002, 12:31 PM
Llightning02- i have cutouts before the my magnaflow.

is it loud? very

i loose a little bottom end torque, but it sounds mean.

i rarely un cap them because after about 30 minutes on the road it gets old, i cant hear the radio and i get a headache.
but it still fun on the weekends.

would i do it again? i think i would put the money toward a full exhaust system that is louder than my magnaflow but less than the cutouts.

if you are looking for that screaming loud race car sound for the weekend, then this is the perfect way to go.

i got mine from summit racing 2.5 inch $27 each + shipping, $80 to install.

thats just my 2 pennies.

kevin

Old 05-03-2002, 01:59 PM
I kinda had cutouts before I changed my exhaust.

Many times I had my muffler blow off down the 1/4 strip. A few times it helped out, and a few times it hurt the trucks times. All depended on where it blew out.

At lower RPM's these trucks need back pressure, at higher rpm's you will see a slight benifit from cutouts.

Old 05-03-2002, 03:33 PM
Apparently the Lightning is one of the rare vehicles on the planet that doesn't benefit from a Cutout (according to the members of the L' boards). I have ran cutouts on all of my past Mustangs and I currently run one on my SS....all with spectacular results. On the Dyno the SS shows a small torque loss below 2900 rpms, but after that I pick up power/tq all the way across the board....gaining 10-12 hp and and 12-13 tq in most places. Does the loss of power/tq below 2900 rpms bother me?? Hell NO!! Because at the track I spend about .02 seconds below 2900 rpms. That's the amount of time it takes me to pass it as I get my revs to 4500 before I launch. During the run, I only drop to 4400 or so, I never even come close to 2900....that means that the Cutout only helps me at the track.

Now around town, it's a different story. When you're just cruisin', I could see why the loss of lowend torque would possibly matter. But for me...it's worth it.

I would love to see some actual dyno graphs of an L' with a cutout. I'm very curious to see what the ENTIRE rpm range looks like.

Quick Reply: Are Cut outs good?