Lightning

Tailgate Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate Removal

In preparation for this weekends festivities against the F-Body Boys (is it OK to say F-Body on this forum? OK, I'll whisper it then) Anywho...I wanna remove my tailgate. I got to looking at it and it seems there should be a quick way to slip it off without unbolting it. Please make my day and tell me how.

TIA,

Old 05-01-2002, 05:44 PM
Surely someone has removed their tailgate before...did you unbolt it or is there an easier way?

Old 05-01-2002, 05:46 PM
you dont unbolt it, undo the straps by pulling out the springy tabs, and then with it about 45deg open, pull out on the passenger side and carefully slide it off the driver side hinge. It will only come off in one spot, so you might have to move it a little more open or closed to get the passenger side to come off.

Old 05-01-2002, 05:52 PM
That's what I was looking for. Thanks Jeff!!!

Old 05-01-2002, 06:29 PM
Hylandr,
Consider this when you put it back on. If your top doesn't lock down over the gate then you know how easy it would be to steal. We see quite a few gateless trucks around here.
This isn't foolproof but helps a lot. Slip a 2 1/2" stainless hose clamp around the passenger side hinge. Turn the screw to the inside to make it hard to reach and tighten it down. Unless the thief came prepared with a nut driver he won't get your gate.
DW

Quick Reply: Tailgate Removal