Lightning

The proper way to check transmission Fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The proper way to check transmission Fluid.

This might be a stupid question but what is the correct way to check transmission fluid. I installed the Factor Tech valve body last weekend and I am giong to check today to make sure the level is still good. My question is do I check with the engine running or off and hot and cold?

Also to those that have the valve body do you get a real hard jerk on the 1-2 shift with normal in town driving? One more thing is when I am at WOT I do not get the jolt on the 1-2 shift but the rear tires do spin (most of the time they are spinning are on the brink of spinning at the shipt point). On the 2-3 shift I get the jerk but no spin that I can tell. Is this about right? I ask becasue I thought I might have some minor problems with the tranny before I installed the valve body. These might be some minor quesitons but I want to make sure the truck it in tip top shape this summer.

Old 03-08-2002, 11:45 AM
a. Car must be level. With a warm transmission (if you can drive it, go 5 miles or so, if not, let it idle for 10 minutes).

b. Set the parking brake and block the wheels. With the engine running, run the selector through all the gears, then put in in neutral.

c. Check fluid level

Website
PhotoGallery
Mods to date

Old 03-08-2002, 06:50 PM
Exclamation

b.While going through each gear stop long enough for it to engage each one.

Old 03-08-2002, 07:32 PM
Normally the F/T valve bodies don't shift that hard at light throttle. Check with your tuner and if necessary have them back the line pressure down. let the valve body do the work rather than through the chip.

Old 03-09-2002, 10:36 AM
I told Sal to cut the line pressure back to normal but I will check with him when he gets back. I installed the F/T valve body before the reburned chip and it did not shift as hard at light throtle as it does now with the chip. I might pull the chip and do some normal driving in town to see if there is a big difference. If there isn't could this be a sign of a bad transmision?

Quick Reply: The proper way to check transmission Fluid.