Lightning

Feedback on 3" rear drop springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback on 3" rear drop springs

Wanting to go with the 2/3 drop on my L maybe 3/4. I was wondering if anyone has tried the 3" rear drop leaf springs instead of air chiseling or cutting out the rear front hangers. I would like to leave the factory hangers on in case wanting to go back to stock sometime later. Does anyone know how they ride? Richard, talked to you about this earlier.... Anyone? Also what shocks does everyone recommend? Only have 2" Belltech drop shackles now.

Old 03-06-2002, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If only the search worked... (nothing against the website dudes - I've read the tech posts regarding the search problem - sucks)

You could scroll thru about 20 pages of this forum. There's already lots of posts. Also, check out the Road Racing forum at NLOC.net. There's lots of info there too.

Yet, for starters check out CaptainOblivious' page on lowering:
(insert link to his page here)
If I had it, I'd post it!

BTW, what 3" leafs are you talking about?

Last edited by Spike Engineering; 03-06-2002 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:57 PM
For shocks, the '01 Bilstiens or Beltech Nitro Drop/Nitro Actives are fine (for street use). . .AutoXing is a diffrent story.

I am not sure about the 3" drop leafs. . .never tried (found?) them.

Rather than go through all that, why not just try a 1" extension on the beltech shackles you have. You'll get about 3/4" more drop, plus a more favorable pinion angle.

Later,

Old 03-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Thanks all

Right now my truck still sits waaaaay to high for me. I would like at least another 2 1/2 inches on the rear on top of the Belltech shacles i have installed. And would like 2 1/2 to 3 in the front also. Found some 3" leaf springs on some sport truck site. They also have 4" and 5" leaf springs. These 20" rims just need the body to be slammed to look right. Thanks all.

Old 03-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The '01 Bilstiens or Beltech Nitro Drop/Nitro Actives are fine, as long as you keep the same spring rates. If you lower the rear and raise the spring rates, those shocks will be oversprung, plus they'll be working out of their optimum range.

Last edited by Spike Engineering; 03-06-2002 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:56 PM
I to have not heard of 3" drop from rear leafs. I know there is the 2" Hotchkis rear leafs, and Metco has fiberglass 2" rear leafs but no 3".

Why not just do the hangers and shackles (set @ 1")

Link in sig for info on kits out there

Old 03-07-2002, 03:08 AM
Take a look at this site.

http://truckn-store.com/product.asp?3=2550

This site has the rear drop leaf springs I am talking about. I dont know all the specifics as far as ratings...but it says that it maintains factory ride.( yeah, they all say that...LOL) The price is what got my attention. Im not really looking for a autoX suspension...since this is a truck, not a race car.....just looking to lower to improve looks, while maintaining the factory ride quality. Ive had too many cobras and Gt's with many aftermarket spring sets ... (Eibach, FMS, etc.) ...they all rode too rough for daily use. Thinking about drop spindles for the front too..dont want to put stress on the tie rod ends, etc. and plus not throw the camber and caster all out of wack as much. Thanks for all that have replied!

Last edited by The Orphaner; 03-07-2002 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:47 AM
http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/supera-arms.html

This site also has the 2" lowering A arms to lower the front while maintaining the factory springs...hence the same ride. What are the benefits/drawbacks of the shorter coil ( with higher spring ratings) versus the drop lower control arms? Anyone know? I know that anytime you increase the spring rating your gonna sacrafice ride quality. ******* Plus this might be an expensive way of getting rid of that annoying clunk in the fron end! LOL ******** I was looking for drop spindles but havent found any yet.

Old 03-07-2002, 11:12 AM
I would suggest that for the front springs you look into the Eibachs. They are a progressive spring, so they will retain a good ride and still drop the front the end.

below is quote from this thread
Progressive springs will give you the best ride. Straight rate springs will give you the best handling.
Go read that thread, it has more info on springs.

As for the rear lowering, I would suggest you stay away from the Hotchkis springs, as they are stiff and without good shocks will not give a great ride.

I would suggest you maybe look into either the Metco springs b/c I think they have lowered ones that retain stock spring stiffness. You could always use those in conjunction with shackles, since the belltech shackles give you a choice of 1" or 2" drop.

Or you could just do hangers/shackles. I've had people say it's a bumpy ride, which I'm sure can be cured with shocks, but I am not the shock expert at all.

Old 03-07-2002, 11:32 AM
CaptainOblivious,

I, too, noticed that the ride was bumpy with just shackles, but when the swaybar geometry is corrected (with the end-links), all the bumpyness goes away without having to change the shocks or the spring rate.

I dropped the rear of mine 3" and even use solid aluminum end-link bushings and while the rear is much more solid and responsive, it is not jumpy and annoying like it was before the end-link mod.

Ya'll are probably getting tired of hearing me rant about the end-links, but I simply can't say/stress enough about the importance and effectiveness of this mod.

Later,

Old 03-07-2002, 12:01 PM
Ya'll are probably getting tired of hearing me rant about the end-links, but I simply can't say/stress enough about the importance and effectiveness of this mod.
I may have a big brain fart, or just lived up to my screen name, but I have no clue what your talking about with the endlinks?????

Old 03-07-2002, 01:00 PM
SO you guys dont like the idea of the drop lower control arms? I thought this would be a good choice since it will leave the factory springs in tact. And besides they look like a quality piece. Especially with the urethane greaseable bushings and sway bar links. I know most everyone goes the coil route....but isnt this the cheapest way to lower a truck? I know it gets the job done...but sacrifices suspension life and ride quality,no?

Quick Reply: Feedback on 3" rear drop springs