Lightning

"Hot Ticket" Ported and Polished Stock Throttle Body and Upper Plenum Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 05:43 PM
DL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up "Hot Ticket" Ported Stock Throttle Body and Upper Plenum Intake

Hey Guys,

I ordered a ported Stock Throttle Body and Upper Plenum intake yesterday at FFW.

I saw them at FFW this weekend at Orlando and had to have them. I got mine on order.

Order you one from http://www.metco-inc.com/ ASAP.

A guy from FL named Paul is making them. He is a well known Motorcycle "Fly In tuner" in the Motocross and Road Racing community. He has a lot of experience with using Dyno's to tune motorcycle and sprint cars. I think he is going to be a great asset to the L community.

Contact Aaron or Ron at Metco to purchase some of these high quality parts.

Sorry Don C, It wasn't your upper intake from JDM, but , you need to get you need to get one or both of these parts for your new motor.

Last edited by DL; 03-04-2002 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:49 PM
Lets see some pics!

Old 03-04-2002, 06:58 PM
Re: "Hot Ticket" Ported and Polished Stock Throttle Body and Upper Plenum Intake

Originally posted by DL

Sorry Don C, It wasn't your upper intake from JDM, but , you need to get you need to get one or both of these parts for your new motor.
HEHE

I want, I want, the only problem is my mod budget is shot to hell right now. There will be no more mods for a while, LOL

Old 03-04-2002, 07:19 PM
Re: Re: "Hot Ticket" Ported and Polished Stock Throttle Body and Upper Plenum Intake

Originally posted by Don's Bolt

HEHE

I want, I want, the only problem is my mod budget is shot to hell right now. There will be no more mods for a while, LOL
Yeah, RIGHT!! LOL No more mods! hahahahaha!!!

Old 03-04-2002, 07:33 PM
Where on the site are these? Can't seem to locate any Lightning parts. Help?

Old 03-04-2002, 07:36 PM
DL..I've had Paul's ported T.B. for a few Months now. When did he start to "polish" them??

Old 03-04-2002, 07:51 PM
Here are some answers to your questions as I am the the person doing the work..
The TB and upper plenum are not polished. After porting they are finished with a very fine sand roll to an almost satin finish,polishing on the intake side is a bit of a no no.....DL saw the parts that were delivered to metco and I don't think he meant to say "Polished"..A polished intake can cause a boundary layer of air to build up in essence reducing the size of the port, so it is NOT polished..

I'm sure that metco will have them on their site soon or I will post pics from the next batch, Unfortuneately I finished them friday morning, drove to FFW and they were sold by early evening so I didn't get to take a pic..

Paul

Old 03-04-2002, 07:51 PM
Uh... Grab your dremel and do your own...For free.

Old 03-04-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by TZrider
A polished intake can cause a boundary layer of air to build up in essence reducing the size of the port, so it is NOT polished..

How so? I don't understand how a smooth surface can create a boundary.

Old 03-04-2002, 07:59 PM
DL
Hey Logan,

OK, get the dremel and go at it.. We can do it ourself or buy one already done. Whatever you want to do..

It doesn't cost that much to buy one already done and you don't have to worry about whether you have ground to much off...

My bad Mondo1, I meant ported. Thanks for "porting" that out to me, we don't want incorrect info to get out on here..LOL

Last edited by DL; 03-04-2002 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by CornerCarver

How so? I don't understand how a smooth surface can create a boundary.
It is the same reason golf ***** have dimples. a slightly iregular surface helps to improve air flow.

Old 03-04-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Don's Bolt

It is the same reason golf ***** have dimples. a slightly iregular surface helps to improve air flow.
That's is the principle of "lift" not laminar airflow. I don't wanna lift my truck.LOL

Old 03-04-2002, 08:18 PM
Corner Carver
Lets see if I can explain this....Hmmm...Okay have you ever sat in a window seat on an airplane and watched a vapor trail passing over the wings, or watched a vehicle in a wind tunnel when a smoke generator is used so the engineers can watch the simulated effects of the wind?? If you have you'll remember that in both cases the smoke or vapor was a good bit off the surface, this is a boundary layer, air passing over a smooth surface tends to stick to it...Or how about this, put a drop of water on a piece of flat glass and gently blow on it, you'll see that the water tends to stay in a formed droplet. Now do the same test except put the droplet on a piece of fine sandpaper, in this case you'll see the drop break apart. this is what you want the air, and further down the air\fuel to do " Atomize".....hope this helps a little

Paul
p.s don't ever get in a plane with textured wings...lol

Old 03-04-2002, 08:22 PM
I ported mine out and gasket matched the intake with a dremel in about 3 hours. Looks great. I gasket matched Koochie Krook's intake to his oval bore TB in about 10 minutes. It got rid of some of the whistling.

Old 03-04-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by TZrider
Okay have you ever sat in a window seat on an airplane and watched a vapor trail passing over the wings, or watched a vehicle in a wind tunnel when a smoke generator is used so the engineers can watch the simulated effects of the wind?? If you have you'll remember that in both cases the smoke or vapor was a good bit off the surface, this is a boundary layer, air passing over a smooth surface tends to stick to it...

p.s don't ever get in a plane with textured wings...lol
Ok, I'll buy that. But then I'll ask this: what's the use for Extrude Honing intakes or porting and "polishing" heads? If this boundardy layer was significant it would seem counterproductive to polish anything on the INTAKE side of the combustion chamber.

BTW, most planes I've been in have a few THOUSAND riviets in eachwing, they are hardly smooth.LOL

Quick Reply: "Hot Ticket" Ported and Polished Stock Throttle Body and Upper Plenum Intake