Lightning

Shift Harder...Please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift Harder...Please?

Hey guys. No flame on JDM in this post becuase i have a lot of their stuff and it is absoloutely awesome. That said, what are all of you peoples chips shifting like? I asked them to make it shift as hard as it can so it snaps my neck in half and i lose control going into second gear, but it didnt make as much of a difference as i expected. I have seen people shift into second on the track with slicks and spin them, i cant do it on street tires. I have also heard, thogh maybe falsified information, that a chip will make you shift into 3rd and wiggle the truck a little. Just wondering if maybe there are different programs for the chip or something, and if a line mod valve or tranny rebuild is the way to go.

--BTW, mods are JDM The Following: Headers, Water Pump, 170º Thermostat, Chip, and oh yeah, a muffler if that matters at all. Still waiting on a 4lb lower and throttle body, maybe that will help my neck pain....

--Thanks for the info and sorry for the long post--L8er

Old 01-16-2002, 02:58 AM
Call your tuner,he should be able to help your lack of neck-snapping problem.Just let him know what you want.All I know is that my truck gets out of control,while shifting into 2nd gear and whiplash going into 3rd.By the way I have no tranny mods except the increased line pressure due to the tuning of the chip..Good Luck

Old 01-16-2002, 04:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't use a chip to control shift feel (duration), it causes "issues" with the pump and other things, break down and buy a mechanical shift kit. Check the article on Sal's website about shift kits.

G

Old 01-16-2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by nitrous63
Call your tuner,he should be able to help your lack of neck-snapping problem.Just let him know what you want.All I know is that my truck gets out of control,while shifting into 2nd gear and whiplash going into 3rd.By the way I have no tranny mods except the increased line pressure due to the tuning of the chip..Good Luck
Do you know if you have the engine cutout during shifts taken out? You know, where the engine doesnt shift on full power to save the tranny.

Jeff

Old 01-16-2002, 08:11 AM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
I asked them to make it shift as hard as it can so it snaps my neck in half and i lose control going into second gear, but it didnt make as much of a difference as i expected.
snap neck and lose control? make sure you keep those floormats securely fastened too

Options:

Line mod valve or shift kit

PSP/FT kit on the way

Old 01-16-2002, 08:49 AM
Vruhm
Once you get the 4# pulley your truck will feel like a whole new beast.

Old 01-16-2002, 09:48 AM
I don't believe we sholud raise the line pressures to High with the chip. however i run the Line mod that we sell for $40.00 and it's just fine! the 1-2 shift is nothing but Tire smoke if i want it to. and the 2-3 shift is not Too Hard at all but i can get a little tire spin if i'm in it all the way. and the 3-4 shift is perfect! JL

Old 01-16-2002, 11:09 AM
Rest In Peace
Talking

I currently only have the 2-1.5 upper pulley, PSP/Factory Tech's Valve body, and Bassani Cat Back on my truck. Rest of my mods from my sig were stripped off for my recent trip to the dealer that im pretty happy eveything that was wrong with the truck was fixed and got all the recalls done and she feels stronger and louder then ever. With out the Chip she still shifts at 5500-5600 rpms on WOT blasts with the mods i have on there now. As for you wanting neck snapping shifts well when i had all my mods on the truck i had Sal pump the tranny pressure up for the shifts and let me tell 2nd and 3rd shift my neck snapped hehe. But im getting the 20 inch boyd coddington rims and im gonna have him leave the tranny pressure at stock and let the valve body take care of the shifiting to save the tranny with those bigger tires. So i would suggest getting one of Sal's PSP/Factory Techs Valve bodies its a direct bolt inreal easy install and ask who ever is your tuner to pump the tranny pressure up. Also i suggest while you do the valve body get the deeper tranny pan.
Vin

Last edited by BadAzz516; 01-16-2002 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:35 AM
Yeah.......get the line mod valve...........they say it works......if you have the JDM chip.......ask Jim to install the most Aggressive street program that he has........we worked on mine for about a month........when she shifts now from 1st to second it leaves bout 5ft of black marks.......the JL diablo shifts the same.......i love the bang

Old 01-16-2002, 11:53 AM
What is the benefit of the "neck snapping" shifts? I just don't get it. Is it better to allow slip in the tires instead of the tranny clutches?

Thanks,
Edward

Old 01-16-2002, 03:49 PM
TruBlu02---Do you know if you have the engine cutout during shifts taken out?

Definitely not. If im going about 35 it downshifts, redlines, and 2 constipates the motor. Thanks guys for all the responses and keep em coming.

Old 01-16-2002, 08:34 PM
hmm

shift kit, line mod.....or both. Transmission upgrades will be one of my first mods to go in with my chip. Just wondering the best way to go?

Old 01-16-2002, 09:48 PM
Hey Johnny, whats the deal w/ the $40 line mod valve? You just sold it to me for $85. Maybe I could use the extra $45 as a deposit on your new airbox.

Old 01-16-2002, 10:27 PM
Old 01-16-2002, 10:41 PM
Flash,

That one is alittle firmer version of the Diablo hard shift one I think. I have the Medium in my truck.

MBrown,

Sucks that prices came down, but thats the joy of being on the edge. PAY TO PLAY!!!

Quick Reply: Shift Harder...Please?