Lightning

Towing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing

I have read prior posts on towing doing a search but I want to cast out a question.

I have bought a race car and trailer as a package deal. Trailer is a 24 foot Pace enclosed--new ones spec out at 3500 lbs with a 350lb tongue weight. Tongue weight is probably my biggest concern. I am hoping the old ones weighed less since they had less features on and in them. Car that will go in it is about 2400 lbs with 50/50 weight distribution on the wheels. It is a tandem axled trailer and I have installed trailer brake control in my Lightning for the electric brakes. Anybody towed with a similar configuration? My main dilemna is if I will need a load distribution hitch.

Old 01-15-2002, 06:19 PM
IMO, you should get a WDH.
Ideally, tongue weight should be 10% of the trailer weight. Your empty trailer is nicely balanced.
You might get away without the WDH, depending on how the car is loaded, but why risk it.

Old 01-15-2002, 10:30 PM
Sleeper, I tow a 25ft travel trailer. The tongue weight is about 425 pounds. On rough roads I did bottom out. I have just put on a set of Air Lift air bags. Also keep in mind these F1 tires cannot handle a lot of weght. The sidewalls are very thin and have known to blow. I got 16 inch steel wheels and tires just for towing. Bob.

Old 01-18-2002, 03:16 PM
Thanks guys, will probably put WDH on it next week. Still waiting for prior owner to fully unload it. I will advise on how it goes with and without the new hitch set up.

Quick Reply: Towing