Lightning

2000 Ford Lightning (New Project)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2000 Ford Lightning (New Project)

Hey guys, my name is Jimmy. I have wanted a Lightning since I was in high school, and I finaly got one. I have searched and found bits of pieces about modifying them here and there, but I really need someone who knows to tell me where to start and what all to do to keep from messing anything up. What is the max I can go on the factory bottom end? What about a 6lb pulley, cold air intake, headers and exhaust? Things like the MAF, and making all the computer ends jive is what really concerns me. Can you tune in all of these upgrades with a programmer, or is there anyweay to do it yourself, or do you have to have it tuned by a shop? Does the programmer completely shut down the speed limiter? If someone or multiple people can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. I just want to make sure this project is done right. I love this truck and can't wait to build it the way I want it. I will be posting pictures soon. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and post replies.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
- 6# or 8# pulley (with a properly ported Eaton and ported TB or a single blade)
CAI of your choice - th emost effective for the budget is the JLT
a valve body in the transmission
a SCT BA MAF or a MAFia on a stock 90mm
OBX long tubes are a great out of the box setup (just get new hardware for 'em)
there's a handful of reputable tuners around as you cannot trust just anyone
SCT or Diablo are the most common tuning devices used BUT remember the these trucks are different than mustangs as you'l soon learn, many tuners tune some quick mustangs and some turd slow Lightnings and the owners can't figure it out
don't forget about the NGK TR6 spark plugs and an oil seperator
a valve body in the transmission
and a set of slapper or long bars

the parts listed above are a proven recipe for a lot fun yet when tuned properly show zero effect on engine life...

since you have an '00, do you know if the cruise control recall has been handled? what about the intercooler core?

Old 11-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Valve Body:
http://www.a1jdm.com/product.html?id...ford-lightning

It says Stage 1. Is this what I need for all of the other upgrades? You also mentioned that the programmers are like a 50/50 shot at doing well? So, after installing all of these mods I can't tune them in myself? If I can't do it myself, do you know of any place in West Virginia that does tuning? There aren't any good garages in this area that I know of. The last thing that I want to do is hook up all these new parts and not be able to get it's maximum potential. I do have a laptop if that is what is needed to fine tune everything. How could I find out if the truck's recall was taken care of? And so far as going WOT with OD engaged, can you reach the trucks top speed without having OD engaged? Is a Air Fuel Ratio guage the only gauge I need to add to monitor my truck's running condition? Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I can't find anyone that is knowledgeable at all about the lightings. The only thing anyone has told me is that if I build this truck it will blow up and that person has just encouraged me to get rid of the truck and get a Toyota X-runner. That is what he has and I just want to blow his doors off. He is running 10 psi boost on his supercharger.

Last edited by damainman1983; 11-04-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 PM
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...raction-System

Are these long bars about the best route? What are you talking about intercooler core? Timing advance or no? Don't know anything about getting my eaton ported, or where to get that done. Also the stock 90mm throttle body is just as good as upgrading it as well? Would these upgrades be a waste of time if I was trying to hit a 10-11 second qurter mile? I saw this lightning and was amazed!!! Which I know my budget wouldn't allow me to put on my truck what this one has. http://www.9secondlightning.com/content/view/15/30/ Do you have any of these parts that I could use for sale?

Last edited by damainman1983; 11-04-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: forgot some things
Old 11-04-2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by damainman1983
Valve Body:

It says Stage 1. Is this what I need for all of the other upgrades?

You also mentioned that the programmers are like a 50/50 shot at doing well? So, after installing all of these mods I can't tune them in myself? If I can't do it myself, do you know of any place in West Virginia that does tuning? There aren't any good garages in this area that I know of. The last thing that I want to do is hook up all these new parts and not be able to get it's maximum potential. I do have a laptop if that is what is needed to fine tune everything.

look, I'm going to be brutally honest with you you are not ready for a pro racer pack from SCT or a Big Stuff 3 so you can do your own tuning

How could I find out if the truck's recall was taken care of?
there's a link on Lightning Rodder, post a picture of your engine bay and yank the eaton and post a picture of the intercoooler core

And so far as going WOT with OD engaged, can you reach the trucks top speed without having OD engaged?
nope, 3rd gear is 3rd gear OD is 4th however 3rd gear is usually faster than most people can go anyway

Is a Air Fuel Ratio guage the only gauge I need to add to monitor my truck's running condition?
many people add 'em BUT by time you notice something's wrong on the wideband it's usually too late to react and save the motor

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I can't find anyone that is knowledgeable at all about the lightings. The only thing anyone has told me is that if I build this truck it will blow up and that person has just encouraged me to get rid of the truck and get a Toyota X-runner. That is what he has and I just want to blow his doors off. He is running 10 psi boost on his supercharger.
if you can't smoke the idiot now then you need to do some maintenance now before you do anything

Old 11-04-2012, 08:01 PM

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...raction-System

Are these long bars about the best route? What are you talking about intercooler core? Timing advance or no? Don't know anything about getting my eaton ported, or where to get that done. Also the stock 90mm throttle body is just as good as upgrading it as well? Would these upgrades be a waste of time if I was trying to hit a 10-11 second qurter mile? I saw this lightning and was amazed!!! Which I know my budget wouldn't allow me to put on my truck what this one has. http://www.9secondlightning.com/content/view/15/30/ Do you have any of these parts that I could use for sale?
that truck sold for almost 30k before it dropped of the interwebs

in order to find decent parts for decent prices you have to get on an activev Lightning forum (such as lightninggarage.com, Lightning Rodder or NLOC)

Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
look, I'm going to be brutally honest with you you are not ready for a pro racer pack from SCT or a Big Stuff 3 so you can do your own tuning

there's a link on Lightning Rodder, post a picture of your engine bay and yank the eaton and post a picture of the intercoooler core

nope, 3rd gear is 3rd gear OD is 4th however 3rd gear is usually faster than most people can go anyway

many people add 'em BUT by time you notice something's wrong on the wideband it's usually too late to react and save the motor

if you can't smoke the idiot now then you need to do some maintenance now before you do anything
So, never go WOT in OD. Can you please describe to me how not to mess up? I haven't raced him yet. I have only got to drive my truck once since I bought it. I took it on the interstate to see how fast it would go, not knowing that there was cheap gas in it, and when it shut off and then kicked back in, I don't know what happened, but I know it bent the valves. Then I put it in the shop to have it repaired and got a DUI. So now I have 3 months left before I can get my license back. Perfect time to get done to my truck what all I want. I do know that he has outrun one lightning and says they are turds.

Last edited by damainman1983; 11-05-2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Forgot a question
Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valve Body:

It says Stage 1. Is this what I need for all of the other upgrades? You also mentioned that the programmers are like a 50/50 shot at doing well? So, after installing all of these mods I can't tune them in myself? If I can't do it myself, do you know of any place in West Virginia that does tuning? There aren't any good garages in this area that I know of. The last thing that I want to do is hook up all these new parts and not be able to get it's maximum potential. I do have a laptop if that is what is needed to fine tune everything. How could I find out if the truck's recall was taken care of? And so far as going WOT with OD engaged, can you reach the trucks top speed without having OD engaged? Is a Air Fuel Ratio guage the only gauge I need to add to monitor my truck's running condition? Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I can't find anyone that is knowledgeable at all about the lightings. The only thing anyone has told me is that if I build this truck it will blow up and that person has just encouraged me to get rid of the truck and get a Toyota X-runner. That is what he has and I just want to blow his doors off. He is running 10 psi boost on his supercharger.

Troyer Performance is over in Covington Virginia. About an hour and 10 minutes East of Beckley, or 20 minutes East of White Sulphur Springs. One of the best for your vehicle. In house dyno also.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Ported Eaton supercharger vs Whipple 2.3? How can you run WOT with OD engauged?

Last edited by damainman1983; 11-06-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: same
Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM

Ported Eaton supercharger vs Whipple 2.3? How can you run WOT with OD engauged?

whipple hands down as it's more efficient resulting in a cooler air charge...

to disable overdrive, simple press the button on the end of the gear selector - you will have a built bottom end with a solid tune long before you are able to run WOT with OD on

Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM

So, never go WOT in OD. Can you please describe to me how not to mess up? I haven't raced him yet. I have only got to drive my truck once since I bought it. I took it on the interstate to see how fast it would go, not knowing that there was cheap gas in it, and when it shut off and then kicked back in, I don't know what happened, but I know it bent the valves. Then I put it in the shop to have it repaired and got a DUI. So now I have 3 months left before I can get my license back. Perfect time to get done to my truck what all I want. I do know that he has outrun one lightning and says they are turds.

he probably raced a Lightning that has been neglected

I wish he was local to me so he could have a crack at racing my Lightning...

Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 AM
he probably raced a Lightning that has been neglected

I wish he was local to me so he could have a crack at racing my Lightning...
What do you have done to yours?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 AM

What do you have done to yours?
just a couple "bolt ons" and "bolt offs" (the mod list is pretty intensive let me gather it up and I'll post it for you)...

here's an engine bay picture though

Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 PM
just a couple "bolt ons" and "bolt offs" (the mod list is pretty intensive let me gather it up and I'll post it for you)...

here's an engine bay picture though

Sorry I haven't replied to your message. I haven't been online in a while. I got your messages about what you have done to yours.... SWEET. I bet that truck will haul ***!!! I just now got my driving license reinstated, and am about to start on my truck this week. Money has been tight and now Christmas...... Man, I can see now it is gonna take me some time to build my baby the way I want her. I will post some pics this week. I bought a Hypertech Power Programmer III from the guy I bought the truck from. It is from the year 2000, he bought it when he bought the truck. How would it stack up to the programmers listed above? How much power can I expect to gain? The only mod that I can see that is done to the truck and that is a JLP CAI. I can't wait to get it back on the road and start working on it and I want you there every step of the way with me. DUDE YOUR TRUCK IS AWESOME!

Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 PM

The hypertech is totally useless for your truck...

And my Lightning is a "bolt on" "Eaton truck", nothing crzy or super special for now, guys like Casey are running 8's on turbo's and Jim running 9's with a baby whipple (1/4 mile) making my Lightning seem slow

Quick Reply: 2000 Ford Lightning (New Project)