Lightning

Can cops arrest you for burnout marks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 11:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... How about this burnout?LOL! Does this qualify for a ticket?LOL!

http://members.nbci.com/85merk/movie..._Burnout-s.mpg

PS : You can also check out some other movies from that site. Thats my buddy's 85 MERK. You can see it and that movie of mine above at http://WWW.85MERK.COM/

-

Last edited by Neal; 03-14-2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2001, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tell the cop you have a picture of skid marks and ask him to drop his shorts to match the marks up

Old 05-27-2001, 11:45 PM
Howdy!

Sovich,

Here is what you should tell the cop who comes to arrest you. "Officer, please get on your knees so I can show my my marks." Just kidding, don't try it! He'll actually do it!

Have a nice day.

Old 05-28-2001, 11:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... Just BURN'EM and run!LOL!

Old 05-28-2001, 11:43 PM
Exclamation

Dont forget the Corvette runs almost the same exact tire. ( Slightly smaller ) It would leave a VERY similar pattern of wasted money on the ground.

Doug

------------------
Picked up Silver 2000 Lightning 2/28/00!!
1st run 13.9 sec 1/4 !! Best Run 13.025
Silver_2000@SVTLightnings.com

www.SVTLightnings.com

2000 Lightning, FMS 3.73 gears ( Expensive ), PSP 4 Way Chip, PSP Intake, Valentine 1, Snuglid, Bedrug, Lighted Ford Logos, Superchip R9, and 3m Panther Black nickel tint, Clear corners., Boston Acoustics 5x7s and Components, Alpine v12 5 channel Amp and JL Sub, Chrome SVT Rims and G Force R1a Autocross Tires, .
Link to my profile because the UBB doesnt support semicolons any more

Old 05-29-2001, 01:32 AM
Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

------------------
99 Black L
PsP Chip
JL Ram Air
Borla

Old 05-29-2001, 11:22 AM
sovich,

It's called “Intimidation” and "Abuse of Authority".

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass [sic] our People..."—The Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

An interesting article is at Harrasment by Laws and Law Enforcement on the recent SCOTUS ruling concerning the Fourth Amendment application in the Texas Atwater case.

The United States Supreme Court recently ruled 5-4 that the arrest and incarceration of Texas mother Gail Atwater for a seat belt violation that carried a maximum $50 fine was just okey-dokey with them. After terrorizing Atwater's children through his ballistic response to their mother's objections to his obnoxious behavior, Officer Bart Turek has had his bullying behavior "vindicated" by the highest court in the land.

One can only blink in amazement at the kinds of statements offered by the majority of justices to justify this soiling of the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution.

Majority Opinion, p. 26: "In her [Atwater's] case, the physical incidents of arrest were merely gratuitous humiliations imposed by a police officer who was (at best) exercising extremely poor judgment. Atwater's claim to live free of pointless indignity and confinement clearly outweighs anything the City can raise against it specific to her case."

Translation: Turek acted like a jerk, arbitrarily abusing his authority. Atwater's case is far superior to the City's defense...but we're going to ignore that inconvenient fact and do what we bloody well please, anyway. So there. Nyah.

Majority Opinion, p. 27. "It is not merely that we cannot expect every police officer to know the details of frequently complex penalty schemes,...('[O]fficers in the field frequently have neither the time nor the competence to determine the severity of the offense for which they are considering arresting a person'), but that penalties for ostensibly identical conduct can vary on account of facts difficult (if not impossible) to know at the scene of the arrest."

Translation: "Ignorance of the law" is no excuse for you, the average citizen, but, what the hey? It's fine if cops are too ignorant of the hundreds of thousands of laws strangling this country or too stupid to use common sense. What's a few excesses among friends?

You have the Right to remain Silent. Anything you say or do, can and will be used against you. Utilize your Fifth Amendment Right – Remain Silent

ACLU Bustcard

Skyhawk

[This message has been edited by Skyhawk (edited 05-29-2001).]

Old 05-30-2001, 12:23 AM
They can ticket you for burnouts and sqealing tires. Back when I was still driving my 87 Mustang GT, I got pulled over and ticketed. It read "Excessive noise by spinning tires on pavement" Oddest ticket I have ever got. It was a great second gear scratch though. hehe

------------------
Jerrod
<A HREF="http://www.haloclub.com" TARGET=_blank> </A>

Old 03-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Talking Cop asked for a burnout....

Today leaving an event. Traffic cops I guess are pretty bored. Second time this happened, last time was after a car show. Anything supercharged, cop asked for a nice safe burnout.. One nice side effect of driving an L.

HAHA - love it.. JR

Old 03-14-2004, 07:04 PM
In Colorado they have something like

Demonstration of accessive speed and power.

It is way up there in the points. Thats what kills ya.

I try to keep it real cool in my neighborhood or anywhere there are likely to be childeren playing.

Nothing makes a mother hit the speed dial to the cops faster than loud engines and sqealing tires. A few of those and then the cops start laying for ya. Now days with cell phones its worse.

I still remember one particular hot summer night in Denver back in about 1968. I was a junior in high school.
The windows were open and it was to hot to sleep. Any kind of breeze felt great. Back in them muscle car days you would hear them untill 2 am in the morning. Laying a patch or a couple guys going threw the gears getting scratch in 2nd and ounce in awhile 3rd.
Well, I am laying there wide eyed and then all heck breaks loose. This thing sounded like it was taching out at 8 grand. Tires screaming and it just kept going on and on. Then it would stop and then take off again.
The hair was standing up on my neck and I was all over the windowsil with my ear against the screen. I kept waiting to hear the engine let go but it never did.
Then there was one last pause and he must of been set to do a straight line whole shot chirping the tires in all 4 gears.
Then just as suddenly as it came it was gone. Prolly just a few minutes but I can still remember that it seemed like 15 minutes.

I could hear my mom and dad commenting on it in the next room and then there was the sound of police sirens echoing threw the night.
The next morning while walking to my buds house to pick him up on the way to school I came across the rubber marks in front of this elementary school.
The pavement was wider there and the assphalt was nice. There were black circles and donuts and marks going everywhere. We figured there were at least two of them at it.

It was very impressive even by todays standards.

All the motorheads at school were talking about it. Turned out to be some guys older brother who had a hopped up 62 vette with some real low gears with posi. His brother said he and his buddy were drunker than skunks and had just finished tunning them up earlier that night. I never did find out what the other car was but they sure roasted them tires.
Never got caught or even a ticket as far as I know.
Even before I was old enough to drive I liked fast cars and speed. I remember going to see Don Gartlits at the drags and he used to have a front engined supercharged dragster that would smoke them tires all the way down the 1/4.

Them were the days my friends, them were the days.

And we use to beeeetch about paying 34 cents a gallon for 98 octane. Hehehehe
Thanks for the post. That old memory aint been sparked in a long time.

Old 03-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Bottom line: the cop is being a jackass (there's a surprise) and is trying to intimidate you into admitting your own guilt, since he doesn't have any hard evidence against you. Don't let him do it!

Thousands of Lightnings are made every year, and without an eye witness (and short of involving a forensics unit, which isn't worth it for a traffic ticket), it would be virtually impossible to prove that you made the marks.

Short answer: Be polite; deny everything.

Old 03-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Everyone will have a different answer to that question... bottom line... cops can do whatever they want...

Old 03-14-2004, 07:59 PM
yup

In Calif it's an "Exhibition of Acceleration" ticket... 2 points,
Same in Mass......but i don't know about the points. They can't do **** with pictures though, they have to physically whitness you doing it.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by DreaminAboutL
In Calif it's an "Exhibition of Acceleration" ticket... 2 points,
I wonder if a cop could give me one for a "quick start" with my truck. Id juct go to court and be like. "uh your honor, I drive a v6."

Which brings me to my next thought. My supercharger has been making some funny sounds recintly so I have been trying to figure out under what conditions it makes it and sometimes this means driving slightly over the speed limit. You think the cop would buy, "I was trying to figure out what is wrong with my blower" as a reason for speeding.

Probably only if he is an L driver.

31C

Old 03-14-2004, 10:29 PM
WOW look at this, an old post from 2001 is brought back
from the dead, and people are still arguing about it

A long time ago I got pulled over on my bike, the cop walks up and says, how many people you think have a bike that looks like this
BTW
My bike had a custom multi color paint job, wheelie bars on it,
and slicks. I answer, oh Im sure there's a few around why ???
He says, because I saw some ******* yesterday go around
the train track gates cause he didn't want to wait for the train to pass, that wouldn't have happen to be you would it

I say of course not officer, well I would never...........bla bla bla
Point is, back then, they had to catch you red handed.

These days they can snap a pictures from a pole mounted camera, and mail you a frigging speeding ticket, but they still got to have a witness or picture of YOU doing it.

Quick Reply: Can cops arrest you for burnout marks?