Lightning

Are shift kits really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martyr - why don't you search around at 'milder shift kits' if your worried.

Factory_Tech - could you email me, dontblameme@yahoo.com

Old 05-24-2001, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what it's worth, my opinion is
1) shift kits DO help performance, in a noticable way
2) shift kits reduce wear on the friction parts by reducing duration, which is where most wear occurs.

I've built a more than a few 4R100s,(I work at Shronville Transmission Plant, where all 4R100s are built) so I've been around the block a few times on these.

Just what I think,

G

[This message has been edited by Factory_Tech (edited 05-24-2001).]

Old 05-24-2001, 05:32 PM
Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Factory_Tech:
For what it's worth, my opinion is
1) shift kits DO help performance, in a noticable way
2) shift kits reduce wear on the friction parts by reducing duration, which is where most wear occurs.

I've built a more than a few 4R100s,(I work at Shronville Transmission Plant, where all 4R100s are built) so I've been around the block a few times on these.

Just what I think,

G

[This message has been edited by Factory_Tech (edited 05-24-2001).]
</font>
I just got my Transgo shift kit in yesterday, and I'm waiting to install it w/ the deeper pan. Do you feel that the "middle" spring in the Transgo kit, along w/ raised line pressure from my Superchips tuning, will be too much? When I say middle spring, I'm talking about the one that is a "middle-of-the-road" spring that will give firm shifts without snapping your neck off.

------------------
'01 silver Lightning
Superchips flip chip, JDM filter kit
'67 Chevy II Nova
10.62 @ 125 MPH N/A

Old 05-24-2001, 07:02 PM
One question I have is for all of you guys that have shift kits installed, what do you plan to do if you ever have any transmission problems? You going to take the kit out before you take the truck in or what?

Sam

Old 05-25-2001, 08:59 AM
I would never reccomend using any chip or software to raise line pressure, it's poosible that the software could maintain line pressure to the accumulator at the expense of the lube circuit if there's a problem. If the same problem happens on a box with a modified accumulator you get really slow shifts, and this in theory lets you know something is wrong and you need to get it looked at. If you starve the lube circuit you'll know something is wrong when the output shaft siezes the rear case bushing and you need a new transmission.

G

[This message has been edited by Factory_Tech (edited 05-26-2001).]

Old 05-25-2001, 07:01 PM
Question

Can not find the accumulator on the PSP website. Am I missing something?

Old 05-25-2001, 11:52 PM
I just ordered a complete valve body shift kit to be shipped with my pully. The only real reason Im doing this is because I already wiped out a tranny by having my shfts hard through the chip and i dont know what the fault was but Im playing it safe on this one because i decided on keeping my truck.What im trying to accomplish is this.nice smooth shifts around town and tire chirping shifts at WOT. My experience with many different chips is they all shift a little/lot different.So far the best shift stradegy i have seen is SALS from Powersurge performance..His are real mellow and I believe untouched around town but nice firm at WOT.Another thing I have noticed with chips are there IS a big difference between firm shifts and banging shifts.This is what Im trying to accomplish with a shift kit.Some chips are bangish and otheres seem QUICKER and firm but not that line pressure bangingness.Its not just how hard things should shift but rather a quicker firm shift would probally be much more effective and better for the tranny.Im gonna send my chip back for a little detonation and have the line pressure returned back to normal so Im gonna rely on just the shift kit to do its job.The line pressure seems like subcontactor doing what a contractor should do.The valve body is around 200 and is cheaper than 1800 tranny....seems like the right thing to do for longevity of the tranny,u joints and rear end,

Old 05-26-2001, 12:45 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Factory_Tech:
The PSP accumulator kit is a good one, (disclosure, I designed that kit) but there are several brands that do the same thing.
G
</font>
I have a 01 L. Would this kit be ok for my trans? Is it easily installed? This 01 tranny shifts firmer stock than my 99 did. thanks Jeff

------------------
99.5 Lightning
Gone but not forgotten
01 picked up on 5/5/01
hud@mc.net

[This message has been edited by JeffsLightning (edited 05-25-2001).]

Old 05-26-2001, 08:59 PM
The shift kit will work fine with the '01 tranny, both the J1 model and the 5X. The 5X is darn near identical to the 1S, which is the 2000 model, but it has differnet matrial in the fiber plates, for better temperture.

Sal doens' have this accumulators on the web site yet, but if you e-mail Spiro at Sales@powersurgeperformance.net he knows waht you want.

G

Old 05-26-2001, 09:17 PM
Sorry about the valve bodies not being on the site, I am re-doing the site as we speak. I do have them and they are $200 plus shipping. Considering the Level 10 shift kits I was selling were $150 for a few springs and a valve, I think the extra $50 is worth it for a drop in valve body with no core exchange.

Gregg, I would like to chat on the phone, if you see this, let me know when is a good time.

------------------
SAL - TEAM PSP
web- www.powersurgeperformance.net
E-mail sales@powersurgeperformance.net
tech@powersurgeperformance.net
F-150 Online Supporting Vendor

Quick Reply: Are shift kits really worth it?