Lightning

porterfield brake pads review

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post porterfield brake pads review

Hi all,

I saw that someone else put a set of Portfield brake pads on the front of his G2 Lightning.

Being the late breaker that I am I also decided to try Portfield pads. I was the first to report almost 2 years ago that I thought the G2 Lightning sucked at braking; boy did I change my username fast that day. Now most at least think/dream about the Brimbos.

I got the pads from Portfield Enterprises LTD 949-548-4470. When I called they never heard of a Lightning so the back pad numbers were in question. This is one of the main reasons I'm creating this post.

The part numbers and prices are,

AP 702 R-4S $99 FOR BOTH SETS OF FRONT PADS
AP 711 R-4S $79 FOR BOTH SETS OF REAR PADS

Shipping $10.45

It took about 10 full days to receive the pads; the fronts are about 40% larger than the rears.

I had to shop around in DFW to find a place that would do the installation for $100, I know don't say it!

I saw the old ones and I would estimate that they where pretty much shot at 14,000 miles, they where starting to squeak pretty consistently.

Once the pads were installed I pumped the breaks for about 1 minute and took it easy for about 10 miles.

I found an empty road and did a few medium brake tests and one hard one, pretty much sucked, weak feel, almost wish I had put stock ones back on. I tool around for about 2 hours, getting the truck cleaned and placed an order for the Kenwood KVT-910, **** this Alpine MD player.

At this point I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but the brakes got real grabby. I found an empty parking lot and tried a few more brake checks and I'm very pleased to announce that these pads are GREAT A+++. They just take a few miles to break in.

This is the best bang for the buck minus a chip.

I read this from another user so he should get all the credit, other than the rear pad number, OK throw me a bone.

BTW I also got DSL today and I can download things up to 1.3 Meg per second, mind boggling.

Old 04-12-2001, 06:38 PM
They sound great. How is the brake dust?
Do they emit more or less than the stock units?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2001, 07:01 PM
Talking

After 34k my front brakes are shot. Definatley a must for me. Thanks for the info!

------------------
1999 Lightning
12.88 @ 104.5
JDM Chip(untested)
PSP Filter Kit
JL RamAir
3.73 Gears

Old 04-12-2001, 09:16 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD Lightning:
They sound great. How is the brake dust?
Do they emit more or less than the stock units?

Thanks
</font>
After 20 miles, with one car wash in between I can state that the brake dust is to a minimum.

Old 04-12-2001, 10:04 PM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Thumbs up

thanks for the info lg,

I'm about due for some new pads...

Broadband kicks A$$.

Old 04-12-2001, 11:38 PM
Cool

Just curious how you got those p/n's? Can't find anything Lightning specific on their web site. http://www.porterfield-brakes.com
Haven't looked at my brakes, but after 12k I expect I am due for a set. How long do you think these pads will last in normal driving, assuming that there is such a thing in an L? Longer or shorter than the oem's?

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.

'00 SVT Lightning, silver, built 2/9/00, #133 of 4966, G-tech Pro, JBA headers, 4.10 gears, Swanson chip, Pro-M, NGK plugs, carbon drive shaft, Roadmaster suspension kit, TransGo shift kit,
13.39 @ 102.5

2001 Kevlacat 2400, twin 115 Evinrude FICHT, Raytheon VHF, radar, autopilot and GPS chartplotter/fishfinder.
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=429389...4647875&idx=15

gmvye@pacbell.net

Old 04-12-2001, 11:57 PM
Talking

Sounds Great! Let us know about brake dust after about a week with no wash job. Can you go that long?
noelvm

Old 04-13-2001, 12:18 AM
KGM
lgogether...don't know how different the R4S is from the R4 but here is there bedding in procedure. http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/pads.htm

Old 04-13-2001, 12:31 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alphadoggy:
Just curious how you got those p/n's? Can't find anything Lightning specific on their web site. http://www.porterfield-brakes.com
Haven't looked at my brakes, but after 12k I expect I am due for a set. How long do you think these pads will last in normal driving, assuming that there is such a thing in an L? Longer or shorter than the oem's?

</font>
Someone else posted using the AP 702's for the front and one of the Ford guys thought that the Expedition pads could be used for the rear. When I called Porterfield I told then that I know that the AP 702 work up front and that I think that the Expedition work in back. They looked up the Expedition and said that the AP 702 also work in the front for that model and that I should try the Expedition rears just like the ford mechanic said.

It was kind of the roll of the dice so to say, that's why I posted this, if I was wrong then I was only out $79, but at least we would all know what fits or doesn’t back there.

During real hard braking with the windows down I can smell the pads working, is this because they are new or is it because they are super soft? I can't say, nor do I really care with-in reason. If I have to change them out every 10,000 miles I don't care, do I have to wash my wheels every other day I don't care, they're that good compared to stock.

I edited this because I wanted to qualify my last sentence ‘they’re that good’. Maybe my OEM brakes and or pads just suck compared to others.

From the start I was never impressed with my brakes until today. Before I had a really hard time judging braking distances with my truck; I kind of timed the distance and got lucky a lot. I could always stop faster that I thought I could, but that was always in a panic situation and never by design.

When I road raced motorcycles I could sort of see things in ½ bike segments and modulated the brake handle to slide up and down this segment confidently. After this brake pad change I can already see segments in 1 truck lengths pretty confidently. I guess the words I’m looking for are implementation and feedback. Before if I wanted to slow, stop, stop really fast, I’m using Jesus as a braking marker, or ah well it’s been a good life; it was like smashing my foot on an immovable object and hoping for the best. Now I can play between these granular inputs.

I’m long-winded, sorry.

[This message has been edited by lgogether (edited 04-13-2001).]

Old 04-13-2001, 06:12 PM
lgotether...I can really identify with your analogy. I think what you're trying to say is the L has poor modulation. It seems theres a final step missing in the braking sequence. It should be slow down, slow down fast, STOP NOW, and Oh *****. Instead the L has slow down, slow down fast, and Oh *****. I'm missing that last bit of modulation in the brake pedal, and I feel the antilock working much earlier than what I think it should be. Once the antilock is engaged, there's nothing else to do, you're pretty much along for the ride...steer and pucker up!

Old 04-13-2001, 09:06 PM
Test 2

I played around some more today; here are my thoughts.

When the brakes are cold they're just a tad less effective than stock. Afer one medium stop a they are every bit as good as stock.

After 3-4 stops even a monkey(me) can tell a major improvement.

I when out and trashed around for 42 miles really hard. The more you abuse the pads the more they like it and the more reward you'll receive. I wasn't ably to ever acheive brake fade, but I don't think you can on small flat Texas roads.

Now the bad news, a couple of times when I was diving in hard it smelled like cluch plates where being fried, it's the pads. Also after 42 miles I swished a peice of white paper across the front rims and noticed that I can write my name on them now.

I have before and after pictures, but I can't upload the pics again, thanks to AT&T.

If you like your truck to smell like fried cluch plates 1 hour after you parked it, then these pads are for you.

[This message has been edited by lgogether (edited 04-13-2001).]

Old 04-13-2001, 09:57 PM
Are these brakes like the EBC brakes that are out there. I saw an add in a magazine for these and they claim a 20% increase in stopping power and a 80% decrease in brake dust. even if there not any more powerful, I would like the 80% decrease on the dust. I'm going to find out as soon as mine are shot, which should be soon.

------------------

Built 5/4/99
# 917 of 4000
P.S. I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2001, 10:40 PM
RTKILLA

I would say that if you give one iota about brake dust these pads are not for you, stay away. Hell the smell alone is a bigger issue than the brake dust; I coasted up to a few stoplights only to be greeted by this uninvited look from others.

I’m not sure if I can suggest these pads for any lackadaisical driver, even a bicyclist until fully warmed up.

If you enjoyed the acceleration from your chip and would like to experience the same enthusiasm from stopping then give these pads a try.

BTW EBC makes fairly good brake pads for bike applications, I don’t know about autos, but hell a pad is a pad pretty much. I just can't see a pad working significantly better than another and not producing more dust without a totally different technology.

Old 04-13-2001, 10:49 PM
Thats what I think to about the EBC's but I guess I just need to try them out. What do the pads smell like anyway. I do brake allot during my driving, so these might be good for me. I wish I had the magazine with me so I could remember the web site.

Old 04-14-2001, 01:28 PM
Thumbs down

I did read your posts... every single word... I especially liked how you start with a "Great A+++" rating and then 1 day later pretty much trashed them - too much brake dust... horrible smell... people gawking - think you could have waited a day and given us a complete review?

Anyway, I never said you had fade... i said after the smell, then they would have started to fade... point being you're overheating them if they smell.

And Mr. big bad x-superbikeracer, I'm just a humble farm boy, I wasn't giving you any advice... I was giving readers another data point... my Porterfield pads dont smell until overheated and they dust about same as stock (lots with both w/hard braking).

Finally I questioned if you had done hard brake testing (play at the edge of ABS, whatever) with the stock brakes... I have, and mine smell nasty and dust a TON.

BTW, for most people "trashed around for 42 miles really hard" does not equate to "just playing around on the edge of the anti-lock system"... may wanna work on that word choice.

-Dreamin
'00L - R9, Airaid, Pirelli P-Zero / BFG g-force R1, Brembo's.

[This message has been edited by DreaminAboutL (edited 04-14-2001).]

Quick Reply: porterfield brake pads review