Lightning

400RWHP

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 400RWHP

Well gents, here's the scoop. Had the ported and polished heads w/Crane reground cams installed last week along withe the CFH long tube headers and Borla SS muflers. Cats removed (no more inspection here in Fla.)

Dynoed @400 rwhp and 458.4 ft lbs of torque. The cams are rated at 6000 rpm and, according to the boys at Xtreme Motorsports, the porting job on the heads was excellent.

Personally, I was a little disappointed that it didn't produce more hp, but the air intake temp was 83.5 deg.F, and the barometric pressure was at 30.53Hg. Vapor pressure at .24Hg and gear ratio worked out to 46.83 RPM/MPH.

I suppose if it had been 50 degF out that the #s would have been signifficantly higher, but in Fla. you get the warm weather year around. (Not a bad thing in most cases......who had snow last night?)

Anyway, thanks to Willie from Diablosports for doing 13 (wow) pulls to get the dial-in right, and to Albert for keeping the shop open until the job was done.....at 12:30 am this morning.

I know what I must do to get a major "one more bolt on" hp increase. I'll let you know when it's done.

Tim

Old 04-11-2001, 11:07 AM
Tim

Interesting work !!
What Were your numbers before the last mod ?

How Much $$ ??

Doug

Old 04-11-2001, 11:11 AM
Lightbulb

They should have been able to give you corrected numbers to offset the weather factor.

------------------
Red '00 Lightning,
Power Surge Performance enhanced,
375 RWHP,
445 RWTQ,
12.974@104.818
Track Videos

Old 04-11-2001, 11:13 AM
Before the heads and exhaust I had:

Superchip flip (JDM)
90mm Mass Air unit
Air Aid w/wide mouth filter
Single Bore t/b
373RWHP (in similar temps and humidity)

Cost of 27HP......5K...top to bottom.

Correction factor...0.99 STD

I know, I know.....don't even say it.

[This message has been edited by TimBurntire (edited 04-11-2001).]

Old 04-11-2001, 11:27 AM
KGM
Like I tell my customers...If you like it, I love it!

Old 04-11-2001, 08:29 PM
Banned For
Violating Vendor Rules
Wow, those are some really good numbers. Why did you decide to go with the DiabloSport chip rather than the JDM/Superchips?

Old 04-11-2001, 08:46 PM
TimBurntire: Way to go! i knew willie @ DiabloSport would produce big #'s over the other chip (tuners)! this is just the beginning of some AWESOME Programs from Diablosport!
"WOW! Those are some impressive #'s why did you decide to go with diablo rather than jdm/SUPERCHIPS? i think the #'s tell why he did! JL

------------------
93 cobra 10.90@127.00
99 lightning (black)
E.T. 12.06
best mph 112
60 ft. 1.65
(All Throttle No Bottle!)
JL ram air
JL Powercooler
2# pulley
Level 10 shift kit
Test Converter!
DiabloSport Dist.!
(KEEP IT BETWEEN THE LINES!)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
JohnnyLightning Performance
E-mail: jlightningracing@cs.com
WEB:JohnnylightningPerf.com
svtperformance.com
diablosport.com

Old 04-11-2001, 08:51 PM
Johnny

Are you suggesting that the Diablo chip is responsible for the 27 hp ? Meaning that the Head work and cams didnt help ?

Doug

------------------
Picked up Silver 2000 Lightning 2/28/00!!
1st run 13.9 sec 1/4 !! Best Run 13.025
drbdkb@hotmail.com

www.SVTLightnings.com

2000 Lightning, FMS 3.73 gears ( Expensive ), PSP 4 Way Chip, PSP Intake, Valentine 1, Snuglid, Bedrug, Lighted Ford Logos, Superchip R9, and 3m Panther Black nickel tint, Clear corners., Boston Acoustics 5x7s and Components, Alpine v12 5 channel Amp and JL Sub, Chrome SVT Rims and G Force R1a Autocross Tires, .

[This message has been edited by Silver_2000_! (edited 04-11-2001).]

Old 04-11-2001, 08:55 PM
I'm sure it had alot to do with it! however how much i don't know for sure. maybe tim can give us his opinion JL

Old 04-11-2001, 09:03 PM
Banned For
Violating Vendor Rules
Silver,

From the 27 HP I would figure some is from the cam and heads and some from the chip. But this is still a big improvement over what the JDM/Superchips gave.
The 2001 L numbers even look impressive. The graph they show on their web site (www.diablosport.com) really show some good numbers. PSP also posted a graph on www.svtperformance.com (aftermarket...) and their gains were much less than the DiablSport numbers.

Tim,
Still curious why the DiabloSport chip. Did you try another brand?

Old 04-11-2001, 10:08 PM
CFH rated a set of long tube headers at ~17 RWHP and .3 seconds in the 1/4.

So the head and cam is good for about 10 RWHP at ~ $3000. That's why you know who sold his ported heads, just to recoup the cost.

The custom chip, who knows maybe only to get the A/F correct?

500 - 550 crank HP at 5600 RPM from a 5.4 L is kind of the end of the road for a streetable engine.

Kind of looks like we are at the end of the HP rope, any CI's for sale?

Old 04-12-2001, 01:05 AM
Talking

It would be very interesting to look at the 13 Dyno plots. I would like to see what type of HP and Torque was being made without a chip. Another factor to look at would be the boost level both before and after and that would have required using a high quality gage. Did the cam change move the power peak? Is HP and Torque now in a user friendly band (some of you will know what I am getting at). The real test for this application will be to drive it.

Old 04-12-2001, 01:37 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WCFan:
It would be very interesting to look at the 13 Dyno plots. I would like to see what type of HP and Torque was being made without a chip. Another factor to look at would be the boost level both before and after and that would have required using a high quality gage. Did the cam change move the power peak? Is HP and Torque now in a user friendly band (some of you will know what I am getting at). The real test for this application will be to drive it. </font>
TimBurntire already started out with,

'Before the heads and exhaust I had:
Superchip flip (JDM)
90mm Mass Air unit
Air Aid w/wide mouth filter
Single Bore t/b'

and the statement,

I know what I must do to get a major "one more bolt on" hp increase. I'll let you know when it's done.' &lt;--pulley?

he already had some bolt ons then added heads, cams, and headers. So I don't think he would have a dyno with a 90mm MAF without a chip. Nor can I see him remove all the bolt-ons then add only the heads and exhaust without a chip for a dyno run?!?

I think the 13 runs was just fine tuning A/F and maybe timing, on top of a baseline chip.

I'm confused? I thought the point was to see how much total power one could make with all the bolt-ons? I know some are trying to advoid chips altogether.

WCfan asked,

Did the cam change move the power peak?

Good queston, someone on another board also claimed to make 400 RWHP with a dynp plot. At about 3000 rpm he made 75 RWHP less than a normal Lighting, but did make 50 more at 5600 rpm than a chipped Lightning. After being called out on the -75 he claimed that another dyno run would be made but it never was. Go figure.

The 400 RWHP is kind of interesting, both trucks up to a point have the same mods (chip, filter, maf, tb, ect..) so both are basically (1 had 6 hp pulley) the same. Then one adds heads, cams, and headers. When both are dynoed on different dynos both produce 400 RWHP.

I wonder what this teaches us about comparing different dyno runs, different days, different trucks, different dyno models, operated by different means?

[This message has been edited by lgogether (edited 04-12-2001).]

Old 04-12-2001, 09:21 AM
I think it does teach us something lgogether. There are variables and people should be carefull comparing different dynos. How it performs on the street and track has to count for something.

I'm going to use a dyno for relative comparison after modifications. This weekend I will do a baseling on my 01 and then install the JDM chip n'filter and do another pull. Then I'm going to leave the shop and have some fun and see how it "streets."

I've got some long tubes on their way (different version than Burntire's); lower pulley, electric fan and single blade TB. I plan on dyno time after mods. I am particularly interested in seeing what the headers and siamesed exhaust will do.

I salute Tim for going out there and taking some chances with mods. The more we do this the more we learn.

As far as the chip issue goes, people interested in selling chips must be taken for what they are trying to do.

Old 04-12-2001, 09:31 AM
For about $400.00 alone you could have had 478 RWHP corrected when you needed it and kept the 373 HP for the street. With the right chip and jetting you would even see 508 RWHP. $5K ? I just had to ask.

See Ya At The Tree!

Quick Reply: 400RWHP