Lightning

Long time reader, first time posting

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Long time reader, first time posting

I have been following this board since I bought my L in June of 2000, (red). Anyway, I have been to the dealer several times for a strange front-end noise (only occurs when turning the wheel all the way, left or right). I believed the problem to be the clunk that many of you have described.

Well, today I get a call from the dealer, where my L has been for the past 3 days. They tell me that they have replaced the parts and aligned the truck, but now it is pulling to the right, severely. They take the truck back to the shop and align it to the point where it is not pulling, but they had adjust is really far, too far. Also, when they aligned it to the point where it was driving straight, the front end noise returned.

Now they are looking at the frame, they think that the axle might not be sitting square or that the frame may be twisted.

Sorry for the long post, just thought that I would post this info.

------------------
2000L Red
Born on 06/01/2000

Old 04-11-2001, 04:29 PM
Tell them to put grease on the steering stops.

Old 04-11-2001, 05:12 PM
Location: Overland Park, Kansas (Kansas City) - Soon to be Ft. Worth, TX
How much does this cost to repair? Is it under warranty?
I have the same problem. Quite embarrasing when you are turning around in front of your friends and you have to explain what it is...

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning
#2798 of 4966
Born on date: May 9, 2000

Old 04-11-2001, 05:15 PM
It is all being covered under warranty. They have me in a Chevy 4x4 in the meantime, go figure.

Old 04-11-2001, 05:34 PM
I had the exact same problem. They had to grease the stops with some heavy duty grease. That fixed it. I took it in 4 times for them to figure that one out. Have the dealer call the SVT line and have them straighten them out.

Sam

Old 04-11-2001, 05:37 PM
My 01L has'nt done it yet, but I'm going with "Herbs Washers", installing the cam bolts on top(then all the adjustment can be done from the top),and from what I've read on the board,this licks the problem. It seems the ford fix(the star washers on the lower A arm bolt) just is'nt cuttin' it.

------------------
01L,Lowered, Black,Downey SST,Straight Pipes,Chipped,Wet Okole Covers........ Toy: 91 Heritage Softtail Classic/Lowered

Quick Reply: Long time reader, first time posting