Lightning

Pressure testing AN hoses

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pressure testing AN hoses

I'm getting tired of the fuel smell I've had since installing the Aeromotive Fuel Rail kit and all Russell Braided Stainless Steel AN Hoses. I'm going to pull everything out soon and inspect it all. I'm going to replace all my fuel injector o-rings and I'd like to pressure test my hoses. How would I go about doing this? I remember someone explaining how but can't remember the details. I guess I would pressurize the hose somehow and spray it with soapy water and look for bubbles. Anyone have any input?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:18 AM
You need to cap one end and rig a schrader valve on the other. Use compressed air to charge the line. You can then either submerge the line into a buket of water or use a spray bottle filled with soapy water. Best to submerge it and look for bubbles. If you see bubbles pull it out and use the soap solution to identify exactly where it is leaking.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt
You need to cap one end and rig a schrader valve on the other. Use compressed air to charge the line. You can then either submerge the line into a buket of water or use a spray bottle filled with soapy water. Best to submerge it and look for bubbles. If you see bubbles pull it out and use the soap solution to identify exactly where it is leaking.
So if I see bubbles what would I do then? I would imagine I'd just junk that section of hose right?

What should I use to cap one end and where would I get a schrader valve that would fit both 6AN and 8AN hose?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:14 PM

I think I'm gonna get this...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...016ERL&FROM=MG

It's $100 but I think it'll be worth it. Plus it allows me to test the hose after the fittings are installed which is great to ensure there won't be any leaks there either.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by SWThomas
I think I'm gonna get this...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...016ERL&FROM=MG

It's $100 but I think it'll be worth it. Plus it allows me to test the hose after the fittings are installed which is great to ensure there won't be any leaks there either.
That is eactly what you need. Bubble = junk hose or poorly installed fitting. Typically it's at the fitting where you will see bubbles.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt
That is eactly what you need. Bubble = junk hose or poorly installed fitting. Typically it's at the fitting where you will see bubbles.
I did some research to try and piece it together for less money and I can't. I can find the AN plugs but not the ones with the schrader valve on them. I guess I'll suck it up and buy it. Then I can loan it to people if they want to use it and save them some money.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:22 AM
you dont need a schrader valve. just get a NPT to AN fitting and the needed adapters to go from -4,-6,-8 etc. Here is a setup a guy made. you can do the same with compressed air line versus the hyraulic pump.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fast95Z
you dont need a schrader valve. just get a NPT to AN fitting and the needed adapters to go from -4,-6,-8 etc. Here is a setup a guy made. you can do the same with compressed air line versus the hyraulic pump.

How would I go about doing that with an air compressor?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:05 PM
air line fittings use npt thread so you'd need a pressure regulator with gauge on it that allows you to add some air and then turn the dial to turn it off. you can find them on google. so you have air line going to regulator and then off the regulator would be your NPT to AN adapter and then your line would go on then plug on the end. pressurize line and dip in water to look for bubbles.

air pressure regulator.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:18 PM

Sounds easy enough. Thanks!

Old 10-19-2007, 10:18 PM
I have a aeroquip crimping machine at my shop for crimping an fittings on light weight lines. They have been a lot better for me on the race cars than the braided that tended to leak. Let me know and i might could help you out

Old 10-21-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by LatemodelRacer2
I have a aeroquip crimping machine at my shop for crimping an fittings on light weight lines. They have been a lot better for me on the race cars than the braided that tended to leak. Let me know and i might could help you out
Thank you. I'll definitely let you know if I can't fix it.

Quick Reply: Pressure testing AN hoses