Lightning

Big Problem w/ my lightning

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Big Problem w/ my lightning

Ok, today I went and picked up some things from the store. While I was driving back I decided to stomp on the gas pedal as I had a long open road in front of me. At the time I went WOT I was at 50mph and got up to 90mph and and then let off the gas pedal. Right after that while coasting I noticed some light smoke coming up from underneath and out towards the back end. I thought damn, I blew a tire and got my speed way down. But it wasn't my tire as nothing happened. I had my windows down and it almost smelled like tar burning. So, I got home 5 mins later and looked underneath real quick and noticed this liquid seeping to the ground right between of where my front tires are. The color of the liquid is like a redish/purple color. I looked more underneath and that liquid is pretty much splattered everywhere on the undercarriage. I put a bucket to where the main part is leaking so the driveway doesn't get messed up. I do have royal purple in my lightning and I was wondering if that was it or what the main problem is here. I popped the hood and a little bit of light smoke came from there is well. I have the aeroforce scan gauge and no fault codes came up. My oil pressure and engine temp did not go up at all either. Please help me. Opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:55 PM
wow, after looking at it more. The fluid is allll over from the front of the truck underneath all the way to the back of truck. It's dripping onto the driveway from all over. I also just noticed the fluid all over the back of my tailgate wtf is wrong here. Someone please help. Is it the tranny fluid?? What bursts or whatever? someone help. thanks

Old 10-12-2007, 01:28 PM
check your transmission fluid it may be your yoke seal is bad and its leaking out....... Good luck

Old 10-12-2007, 02:52 PM
anyone else?? come on guys, I need your help!

Old 10-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by 03BadAzzLghtn
anyone else?? come on guys, I need your help!
So is your transmission still full? Is it down on fluid? Have you checked it yet as was previously suggested?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:49 PM
You didn't say if you checked your oil and tranny fluid? Sounds like tranny fluid. Rear seal or possibly cooler/cooler line.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt
You didn't say if you checked your oil and tranny fluid? Sounds like tranny fluid. Rear seal or possibly cooler/cooler line.

Thats ture it could be your cooler line blew. Thats why you have fluid under your hood.

Is it clear or dark fluid?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:20 PM
The fluid is a reddish/light purple color. I took the tranny dip stick out and the fluid on the dip stick def matches the fluid underneath. When i took the dip stick out though, the truck was cold so I guess I can't get a good read on how much fluid I lost. How can I check to see if it's still full or not? Isn't the resovouir underneath the truck? You can see from entering my neighborhood to the front of my house on the street the fluid trail it left. And it's not underneath my hood, it's everywhere underneath the truck, like I said even on the back of my tailgate. There are droplets everywhere underneath the undercarriage. How much does something like this cost? Is it safe to drive somewhere to get it checked or not? thanks guys for the help

Old 10-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Power steering?,.......simple green everything real good and start it up with some cardboard underneath it and rev the engine a few times and look around real good see what you see. If fluids are not low you are going to have to investigate some to find it.

Good luck.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Just like everyboby said Check your power steering lines And the trans lines From the trans to the radiator and around the frame

Old 10-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
better get that stuff off your paint, check fluids one has to be ,
truck has to be running to check trans fluid

Old 10-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, I think I'm going to take it to ford tomorrow morning. How much do you think it will cost to fix the leak or the line? Ford is only a few miles away from me should I have it towed or risk driving it? And is all of this a result of me stomping on it and something going wrong or was it destined to happen anyways?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 PM
I am sorry but if you are going to take it to a dealership and say "I think there is something wrong with it see what you can find" you should stop at walgreens and get a nice soothing ointment first. Get some car ramps and go under it and dry everything off as well as you can and then start it up and look around, once you have found a issue it may be a whole different situation.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Until it's properly dianosed there is no way to guess how much to fix it. If you lost that much fluid and do not know for sure where it came from I would not drive it at all. If you are not going to attempt the fix have it towed to the dealer. Fluid lines are cheap and easy to replace. Seals can be very expensive due to labor.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:06 AM
dose the fluid have oil in it ? You may have popped the passenger side head gasket .....

Quick Reply: Big Problem w/ my lightning