Lightning

Battery relocation question for Tim Skelton and those using an alternator relay

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery relocation question for Tim Skelton and those using an alternator relay

I have been thinking and talking to other people about the battery relocation set-up. I've also reviewed Tim Skelton's website. I'm wondering if the alternator relay is really necessary. Wouldn't it also work if the alternator cable was extended and run from the alternator back to the kill switch with the battery cable and then from the kill switch back to the firewall solenoid? This would mean that when the kill switch was turned off it would not only sever the connection to the battery that it would also sever the connection of the alternator. Correct/Incorrect? I've been told that this set-up works and that the alternator cable was extended with some 6 gauge cable. What say you???

Old 10-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't run the alternator across the smaller set of MD terminals because they can't handle the amps of a street car alternator. That's why the relay.

As to running the alternator and battery across the same set of MD terminals, I can't even mentally process that.

What's the aversion to the relay?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:50 PM

I'm just being a cheap skate. I didn't want to buy the relay if I didn't have to. Plus, it's ugly and I'd have to find a place to hide it...

Have you installed one yet?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SWThomas
. . . Have you installed one yet?
Embarassingly, no. I've run the trigger wires to the engine compartment, but the relay has been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:33 PM

Anyone else have any other ways that they have successfully relocated the battery? Not denouncing Tim's method, just wanting to hear about the different set-up's.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:05 PM

What do you all think of this switch?

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...prod/prd62.htm

Old 10-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Looks like your Summit list just keeps on growing...

Old 10-25-2007, 09:11 PM

I got everything I need now. I just need the tray and I'll knock it out. I'm not installing a MKS yet but may do it eventually. Here's what I have so far...

Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 PM

Old 10-26-2007, 12:02 AM
I just finished my relocation , what I DID IS USED A 30 amp relay on the blue with black strip wire going to the ing switch cut it in half and connected 30 to key side and 87 to ecm side and ran 85 to kill switch witch was set to ground 86 was ran positive .I used moroso switch 0 awt gauge works awsome you turn that switch and she shuts right down. what happens is the ecm power cut off regardless if the altenator is turning same concept of a remote starter the only diffrent is you are cutting power and using a ground signal to do it .

Quick Reply: Battery relocation question for Tim Skelton and those using an alternator relay