Lightning

How much amps should a alternator read???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much amps should a alternator read???

Well I think my 94’ lightning’s alternator might be on its last leg.

I tested my alternator tonight and it read about 30 amps shouldn’t it be reading a constant 45 or high amps????

Anyone got any suggestion on where I can get a direct replacement alternator with the stock 95 amperage????? I’ll regret replacing this with a oreilly or autozone alternator!

Old 09-18-2007, 04:05 AM
The output of the alternator (in both current and voltage) is regulated and depends on the state of battery charge to determine it's output.
How are you testing this? Are you bypassing the voltage regulator somehow to get maximum output?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Elf
Hey Scootro,
You should be able to have your original alternator rebuilt. I've done this serval times with other vehicles, just look for a 'starter/alternator' rebuilder in your area. Hope that helps.

Elf

Old 09-19-2007, 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by EnglishAdam
The output of the alternator (in both current and voltage) is regulated and depends on the state of battery charge to determine it's output.
How are you testing this? Are you bypassing the voltage regulator somehow to get maximum output?
ya i put a amp clamp on it while running..

Old 09-19-2007, 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by Elf
Hey Scootro,
You should be able to have your original alternator rebuilt. I've done this serval times with other vehicles, just look for a 'starter/alternator' rebuilder in your area. Hope that helps.

Elf
thanks i haven't thought of that

-scooter-

Old 09-19-2007, 04:58 PM
What do you have on (lights, fans, etc.) when you run this check ? The more stuff you have on the higher the amp output should be..

Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 PM
I hate alternator’s!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On my 94’ lightning my alternator was getting worse so I had the bright idea to go an have it rebuilt yesterday and the guy promised it would be under $70 bucks to rebuild it. I pick it up today at the auto-electric shop it ended up costing me $136 in which the shop owner said the alternator was really messed up and said sorry for the cost!!!!

I get home and put it on and my truck ran great for about ten minutes (the dash voltmeter ran at M & A of N.O.R.M.A.L), but after the 10 minutes goes by its reads at N and under and not holding a charge and my brand new 1 hour old battery goes dead!!

List of things I think is wrong
1. alternator is crap and I should take it to oreilly’s have it bench tested

2. A short in my alternator harness

3. The electric fans do have shotty wiring!! Maybe that’s my culprit??? (I bought the truck with those fans 5 years ago and has gave me no trouble! Except the wiring job isn’t the greatest)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! before my truck goes to the Ford dealership for costly repairs$$

And yes I know fans draw a lot of amps and yes I know I could’ve bought a reman alternator(life-time warranty) with the same price as the rebuilt one in which I probably will never see that money again!!! But I trusted the dude and he has been in business for over 30 years (BUT!!!! I got this sick feeling that I got screwed, but I won‘t jump to conclusions yet!)

Last edited by scootro; 09-19-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: How much amps should a alternator read???