Lightning

Bought my 03 Lightning last week and now the trannys blown WTF?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilovemyford
Ford F150's are decent trucks. They hold up to some abuse. The lightning was designed with that kind of abuse in mind. One week and the transmission is fried. The dealership sold you a lemon bud. I would start looking into the service records of the truck. I would even call the previous owner and see if the truck had any transmission problems before. If you did not have an extended warranty. I would say you are out of luck. But you have it on your truck. Usually a good dealership will fix the problem no questions asked, if there is problems with the vehicle within the first month. I personally think you got suckered into a bad deal. I would contact the better business bureau, and even hire a lawyer and take them to court. call the attorney general's office of your county and file a complaint. The cost is nominal to file a complaint. If there are several complaints about the dealing of a particular company, you get the support of G A. Good luck
No, Fords are not decent trucks and don't hold up abuse. I imagine he had the same problem that many of us have had with the tranny. My tranny went out 1,000 miles out of warranty due to a failed (and plastic) intermediate one way clutch. The symptoms involve the truck not able to shift into second/third and basically just revving like you have it in neutral. There is a TSB on it and although it's more common in early 01's (or maybe its late) with the J code on the transmission or something, it may have happened to him. Either way it was a moronic thing to go do burnouts and doughnuts with a tranny on its last leg. I know, I know the L is a performance vehicle blah, blah, blah (notice how the people saying that don't even have one!), but when mine started acting up I drove my other car until it was fixed. I understand that testosterone kicked in because you were around a bunch of bikers or whatever, but to avoid the situation you should not have drove a Lightning around that scene with a bad tranny. When I just got a ticket I don't try to find the local street races the next night. Oh yeah, Lumadar, I know you have Lightning envy with your slow and heavy supercrew, but please do us all a favor and quit taking it out on the Lightning community

Old 06-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by STRK BY
Go Soprano on their *** if they keep giveing you shizit... ....Its not even out of factory warranty...........WTF
good job doug go get em'

Old 06-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
Need some help guys.
I just bought a SVT Focus from Grappone Ford they got in on trade.
I dropped it off there because it developed tranny issues.
When I called about it the service manager said it had been towed to the donut parking lot.
Hokay goat herder, did you honestly having nothing better to do while your mom microwaved your hotpocket than type that? And if you want a shot at the SVTF JRSC its goin to auction buddy, dont attempt witty posts til you do your research.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
Spoke with my salesman today, hes pretty positive theyre gonna cover it. Adjusters will be in tomorrow morning.
And just for the record, I'm glad I joined this site all this drama (and random nerd trolls, yall worse than WoW players) has been very entertaining and youll definately see me around! =D

Old 06-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lumadar
. . . Nice try, but wrong. I'm not confusing anything.

The fact of the matter is he just bought the truck, which is under warranty, and he is free to drive it how he wishes. It is NOT his job as the owner of the truck to properly diagnose any potential problems with his truck and drive it accordingly. I don't recall having to take any mechanic certification courses when I bought my last couple Fords, did you?

It's not his fault that the tranny was already acting up, and it isn't his fault that he didn't know it was on the complete verge of grenading either. That's NOT HIS JOB. . . .
No, in fact you are confused. You are confusing expertise with common sense.

If you are having a drivetrain problem of any kind, it is just #$&%^ common sense that you should drive as gently as possible until it can be diagnosed and repaired. My 70-year-old mother doesn't even know how to check her oil, but she at least knows that.

Doing donuts is pretty much the opposite of driving gently.

Originally Posted by Lumadar
. . . Also, I'm not a mechanic, . . .
Not much of a logician either.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Im jealous of Raoul's mom's sideburns!

So I got a call this morning from the service writer who blew it up and the adjuster ppl, sounds like theyre gonna take care of it =D
So hopefully by next week Ill be on here posting more interesting topics such as...Ran Over Biker Should I Feel Sorry? and Got Heat For My **** On Nascar Sticker WTF?

Old 06-23-2007, 08:23 AM
haha

Got Heat For My **** On Nascar Sticker WTF?
Bro, having a sticker like that in NH is gonna get your truck some damage man. Trouble looking for a place to happen.

I had a Kevin Harvick sticker on my truck's window. I had some dude come up to me in a parking lot and tell me next time he sees my truck with that sticker, he will remove the window with a baseball bat.

Now normally I would have just road this guys's skull into the cement and called it a day, but this fellow was not only large, but his eye's were pointing in two different directions and had a knot on the side of his head.

Kicked by a mule maybe?

I just laughed and told him no matter what he says, Richard Petty won't come out of retirement and Dale won't come back from the dead so chill out. I then got in my truck and left before he could throw a rock or something.

I figured if i had to hit him , my truck would sustain more damage then he would

Good luck on the tranny.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:19 PM
haha just some humor...Im gettin an ill Deceptacon sticker and maybe a little Hatchetman and thats about it

Old 06-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Cool

I don't think the burnout was such a good idea but the warranty needs to cover it 100 percent. If needed take some legal actions. Ford makes these trucks knowing ppl are going to play in them hell thats why they supercharged them it sure wasn't for looks it was for power. One of my previous cars was a VW GTI turbocharged. The turbo was pushed to 22 pounds of boost. The car was slammed down to the ground. It may have sat 2 inches off the ground. I was comming out of Daytona with my girlfriend and there was a huge dip I didnt see. Got the car stock and cracked the oil pan some how. I took it to the dealership and its obvious it happened coz the car was so low and they fixed it w/o thinking twice. Also when my gf and I got our Jeep. They told me no matter what I broke off-roading the warranty will cover it. They said its a jeep wrangler it was made for offroading and thats what the warranty is for. Same will go for you lightning. Don't let them push you around not every one wants to buy one and just store it away. It's ment to play in!!

Old 06-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by JGSLightning
I was comming out of Daytona with my girlfriend and there was a huge dip I didnt see. Got the car stock and cracked the oil pan some how. I took it to the dealership and its obvious it happened coz the car was so low and they fixed it w/o thinking twice.
After you lowered the car so much, you were very lucky the dealer took care of you so well. For every story like yours, there are many more stories of the dealers trying to avoid making basic repairs under warrantee.

Originally Posted by JGSLightning
Also when my gf and I got our Jeep. They told me no matter what I broke off-roading the warranty will cover it. They said its a jeep wrangler it was made for offroading and thats what the warranty is for.
Sales people say stuff like that all the time to get you to buy the vehicle. The service department is not going to care what the sales guy said if you abuse it, bust it, and come in expecting the dealer to fix it for free.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Cool

The car came lowered like that when I bought it used. The only thing they wouldnt replace in the bumper to bumper warranty and get this was my headlights. These were covered but since the previous owner put the super bright ones with the blue haze in. The dealership said it causes the wires to heat up. They get much hotter than the stock bulbs and can cause damage. Everything else they fixed. I got some crap from them then the alternator died. They tried to blame it on the neon but I was able to talk them into fixing it still. Though I didnt get any grief about the oil pan. I feel that VW has a pretty good bumper to bumper. Jeep on the other hand doesn't lol. When my jeep was 3 weeks old I started having problems with it. some wires over heated for no reason the jeep was stock. The wired shorted out the cd player got all messed up and the air went out. They still to this day wont fix the cd player which is broke and the car has less than 12,000 miles on it. They say it works fine to them. My brother bought his mustang and it had like 200 miles left till the paint warenty went out. It was over something so little and they still repainted half his car to fix it. That was at the Deland Ford lot they are really nice ppl there.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by sadf
No, Fords are not decent trucks and don't hold up abuse. I imagine he had the same problem that many of us have had with the tranny. My tranny went out 1,000 miles out of warranty due to a failed (and plastic) intermediate one way clutch. The symptoms involve the truck not able to shift into second/third and basically just revving like you have it in neutral. There is a TSB on it and although it's more common in early 01's (or maybe its late) with the J code on the transmission or something, it may have happened to him. Either way it was a moronic thing to go do burnouts and doughnuts with a tranny on its last leg. I know, I know the L is a performance vehicle blah, blah, blah (notice how the people saying that don't even have one!), but when mine started acting up I drove my other car until it was fixed. I understand that testosterone kicked in because you were around a bunch of bikers or whatever, but to avoid the situation you should not have drove a Lightning around that scene with a bad tranny. When I just got a ticket I don't try to find the local street races the next night. Oh yeah, Lumadar, I know you have Lightning envy with your slow and heavy supercrew, but please do us all a favor and quit taking it out on the Lightning community
Maybe you have a bad apple. Check out the gallery of DDan1967 or this thread https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=188638. Granted it is not 2003 lightening. and it is only a 4.6l with over 200k. I know of few vehicles with that kind of mileage that still can be used with a plow mount, that was added recently to the truck. The key is regular maintenance and keeping the truck stock as much as you can. But if you have a lemon, there is not much you can do.

Last edited by Ilovemyford; 06-26-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:31 PM
I love Hot Pockets

LMMFAO @ I just want to say Hello to Mom before....

Glad to hear it's looking good TheBlueHornet

Will you Marry me CA ???

Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by tallimeca
Bro, having a sticker like that in NH is gonna get your truck some damage man. Trouble looking for a place to happen.

I had a Kevin Harvick sticker on my truck's window. I had some dude come up to me in a parking lot and tell me next time he sees my truck with that sticker, he will remove the window with a baseball bat.

Now normally I would have just road this guys's skull into the cement and called it a day, but this fellow was not only large, but his eye's were pointing in two different directions and had a knot on the side of his head.

Kicked by a mule maybe?

I just laughed and told him no matter what he says, Richard Petty won't come out of retirement and Dale won't come back from the dead so chill out. I then got in my truck and left before he could throw a rock or something.

I figured if i had to hit him , my truck would sustain more damage then he would

Good luck on the tranny.

oh man i wsh some one would say so,ething like that to me.!

Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 AM
ah

[QUOTEoh man i wsh some one would say so,ething like that to me.! ][/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's my usual comment to bro, but this fellow wasn't right.

I'm 6.0 230 and this guy made me look like an ump lumpa

Quick Reply: Bought my 03 Lightning last week and now the trannys blown WTF?!?