Lightning

Need Help From Anyone and Everyone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help From Anyone and Everyone!!!

I purchased a 2000 Lightning a year ago and have had nothing but problems since day one. June 10th, 2007 will be an exact year and the truck is still not running and has only logged 2,000 miles. Amd 1,200 miles of that are road tests from the various people that have worked on it and trips involved getting there. It has seen two different dealerships and one private mechanic shop. The latter being a full 9 week stay that netted me nothing. It started with constant alignment problems and led into the engine.

What's new on the truck: tie rod ends, ball joints, torque converter, computer, coils, plugs, mid-pipe/cat-back, and stock lower pulley.

The truck bogs down and is burning through coils constantly. And as a result does not run. I have talked to the owners of the dealerships, service managers, warranty company, and even Ford directly on three separate occasions. All of which got me nowhere, as none of them can provide me with any answers or help. I do not have the time or money for a lawyer and see no other options. I don't even know what is causing the problem because no one can diagnose it.

If anyone has any ideas or advice please speak up. My daily driver car is broke down and I am tired of making a year of payments on a truck that I cannot even drive. Thank you for any help.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:43 AM
You should probably give some details here before the L masters show up.
Is it a salvaged title?
What did the previous owners use the truck for?
What happenes when you try to start it?
Will it start, if so how long will it run for?
What kind of codes are you getting from a diag machine?
Just give as many details as possible about your truck!
You should get some good help here.
Good luck man!

Old 06-03-2007, 05:54 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
i second that, gonna need more info before anyone can start trouble shooting from the safety of thier keyboards.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Ya man what they said, need more info
Where'd it come from
Was it OK when you bought it
When did the trouble start
How fast does it burn up Coils

There are soooooooooo many things that can cause an ignition problem...
You have the obvious like: your Wiring harness is bad or a direct short, you already been through the computer and coils. But even things like a Lean Condition, leaking EGR Valve, Bad Sparkplugs, Vac Leak, Injectors, bla bla bla can cause it.

You need to get that truck to a Lightning Doctor, belive me I know the fustration of NOT being able to drive your truck, DONT GIVE UP YET...
Not sure where Warwick NY is but there are some great Lighting Builders I belive can help you in places like PA, New Jersey, and here on LI NY

Some decent reading here on COP, available testing equiptment, and possible reasons for failure
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us20406.htm
Thats where I saw this line

If an engine is experiencing repeated coil failures, the coil may be working too hard. The underlying cause is usually high secondary resistance (bad spark plug wire or spark plugs), or in some cases, a lean fuel condition (dirty injectors, vacuum leak or leaky EGR valve).

The site has A LOT of good COP info and possibilitys, including explaining certain codes that might come up and how they usually arent pointing to the correct cause of the problem
http://www.aa1car.com/library/copign.htm

Interesting reading there too

The most common trouble codes you may encounter with COP systems on OBD II equipped vehicles are P0300 series codes such as P0301, P0302, etc. that indicate a misfire in a particular cylinder. The important point to remember here is that a general misfire code (P0300) is probably not ignition related but is due to a vacuum leak or fuel delivery problem.

A COP engine that cranks but fails to start, in many cases, will often have a problem in the crankshaft position sensor circuit (code P0320). Loss of the camshaft position sensor signal (code P0340) may prevent the PCM from properly synchronizing the fuel injectors, but may still allow the engine to start and run in a limp-in mode.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Check your email...

Old 06-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am the third owner of the truck and from what I understand the owner before me traded it in because he needed a "regular" pick-up. It was ok when I first purchased it and the problem really started about 4 months ago. The truck has a clean title and carfax with only 27,250 miles on it currently. It is all stock and seemed to be pretty well taken care of.

It starts fine and will stay running, but does not want to accelerate. Even flooring it will barely get a response. The left cat went bad and burnt out the #5,7,8 coils. I replaced the mid-pipe with cats and also the cat-back. Supposedly these are the three coils that are still giving me the problems. But like I said no one can really diagnose it. The truck is showing no codes at all. I was told if it was a multiple misfire, the computer would not be able to identify one individual cylinder.

I hope this information helps. Could it be an internal problem?

Old 06-03-2007, 08:36 PM
GET RID OF IT!

I was just driving down the street and it cought on fire. I dont know what happened, I just got it back from the repair shop yesterday.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:01 AM
WORD UP! Better yet burn it on yer property and caim it as house hold you'll get a grip'a cash....but im just say'n

Old 06-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Isnt it funny how everyone knows the worse ****** problem to have is Electrical or Ignition @$%@($%@)$^%@$(^%$(@%$(&@^%$@&$
Cost me 5K, 1 yr, and ruining a 7K brand new built motor (then another 13K to fix it) To find out a fking wire pulled out of the 02 Sensor Harness Extention
(@&$%)@$%)@$%)@$%@)$%@)$%@)$%@($#%@($&%^@($&
After having 75K total investment in it I was so disappointed about what happen that I sold it, (on 6/6/6 no yet)
(But I still regret selling it, especially cause I bout 2 more since)

I went through 3 Cat Backs, 2 superchargers, 2 sets of coils, 2 mafs, 2 sets of injectors, 13 sets of plugs, fuel pumps, 55 dynos, and still never found the problem. We thought we did but when I went to the track it destroyed the motor @ 100ft into the run. I then gave the Truck to JDM and while they were building me my 3rd Motor Jim/JDM found the problem.

There are soooooooooooo many things that can create a problem that would mimick what your experiencing. If you want it fixed I truly believe someone like JDM Engineering in NJ is your answer. They're very busy and will most likely have your truck a while BUT it will be fixed when you get it back. Call up and speak to Jim III and ask some questions, you have nothing to lose.....
OR YA WHAT THEY SAID, HOW YOU SAY LOSE IT...

Old 06-04-2007, 07:16 AM
send it to the crusher man........

Old 06-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Check the grounds that go to the wire harness for the coils. Anew wire harness is not to exspensive you might want to look in to that. Also possibly a new ECM.
On the front end take it to an old school motor wheel and axle place and have them set the front end up old school. I did that and have not warn the inside of the tires since 2001.

God Bless,

suavy

Old 06-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Sounds like one of the lines came off the "Y" in the fuel tank...

Has that been checked?

-Dale