Lightning

Huge Sean Hyland 6.3 Liter stroker rotating assembly and race block !

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Virilha
Rarely does anyone make an effort to say something nice. It seems that it's just easier to gripe.
I constantly give praise to companies that have done right by me. I say, "give credit where credit is due". I will agree that people screwed over by a company, generally tend to put more emphasis on the negative stories in an effort to curb an aquaintence from making a similar mistake. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:09 PM
If you had a stroker you were my first option to buy one. I am desperate to buy a stroker but SHM is the only one i found. Talked to another companies but probably you know what the problem is better than me:

Stroker crank not available.
Understand completely. I just hate to see someone spend that kind of money strictly due to a lack of options. There are good reputable companies out there building terrific motors that make big power. I guess the question is, how fast do you want to go? There's no doubt that a standard stroke 5.4 motor is physically capable of running 9's on nitrous and soon to be all motor with the new blowers hitting the market. I can even see 8's being possible with enough weight reduction.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:09 PM
SHM is one of the largest engine builders out there. (not just a distributor) They build engines in NA and England. With that many engines, they can't be all bad. They don't promote much to the Lightning community and are mostly focused on Mustangs and more recently on Daimler Chrysler/SRT products.

I know several people that run their engines in Mustangs and are very satisfied. A close friend of mine has a supercharged 2001 Mustang Cobra completely road course prepped by SHM and the car runs extremely well with flawless reliability.

TB

Old 10-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by dealerjim
Understand completely. I just hate to see someone spend that kind of money strictly due to a lack of options. There are good reputable companies out there building terrific motors that make big power. I guess the question is, how fast do you want to go? There's no doubt that a standard stroke 5.4 motor is physically capable of running 9's on nitrous and soon to be all motor with the new blowers hitting the market. I can even see 8's being possible with enough weight reduction.
Jim the reason i want a stroker 5.4 with 6.0L at least, is because i don't see a reality a 5.4 engine standard stroke, Kenne Bell or Whipple, 3V ported heads, etc and etc... making 700RWHP with 93 octane. Sounds crazy but that is my plan, 700RWHP at least with 93 octane.
With the stroked 6.3L from SHM, 700-750RWHP is doable.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Granatelli vs King gripefest

cant we not bring dave king into this.. before you know it they will be bitching at each other over here and i'll have 1 less sand box to **** in

Old 10-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Jim the reason i want a stroker 5.4 with 6.0L at least, is because i don't see a reality a 5.4 engine standard stroke, Kenne Bell or Whipple, 3V ported heads, etc and etc... making 700RWHP with 93 octane. Sounds crazy but that is my plan, 700RWHP at least with 93 octane.
With the stroked 6.3L from SHM, 700-750RWHP is doable.
1. Forget the 3V heads...

2. Power is about air flow. Get a good set of ported 2V heads or build a 4V motor. 700 rwhp on 93 is doable without 6.3L.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Forget about 3V heads ?
My f-150 has a 5.4 3V engine and the ported 3V heads always will flow a lot more than any ported 2V.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:12 PM
John 8:7 He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone....

Tell me a company which does not have horror stories.

Fastest mustang on the planet uses SHM block (John Mihovetz 2000HP).
Good and bad stories are just part of the game.

You can quote scripture all day long, he has a well-deserved reputation. I've heard two of his engines, and both sounded like diesels and used oil at a rapid rate. Oh, and he did not warranty either of them. That's not conjecture or hearsay, that's a fact. At the least I would not allow them to assemble the engine. My two cents.

By the way, people are trying to give you the info you asked for, opinions. As far as your power goals, go turbo, and you can make over 700 rwhp on pump gas, without a stroker or three valve heads.

Jody

Last edited by camcojb; 10-09-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by camcojb
You can quote scripture all day long, he has a well-deserved reputation. I've heard two of his engines, and both sounded like diesels and used oil at a rapid rate. Oh, and he did not warranty either of them. That's not conjecture or hearsay, that's a fact. At the least I would not allow them to assemble the engine. My two cents.

By the way, people are trying to give you the info you asked for, opinions.

Jody
And i truly appreciate all the opinions.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lurker
1. Forget the 3V heads...

2. Power is about air flow. Get a good set of ported 2V heads or build a 4V motor. 700 rwhp on 93 is doable without 6.3L.
I'd take a 3V head over both a 2V and a 4V. But that's just me .

Old 10-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by LightningTuner
I'd take a 3V head over both a 2V and a 4V. But that's just me .
Why Sal ? If you say that i give you all my attention. You really know your stuff man. What's the deal with 3V over 4V ???

Old 10-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why Sal ? If you say that i give you all my attention. You really know your stuff man. What's the deal with 3V over 4V ???
Well, the 2V head is nice, the ported versions work well. They make great low end torque. The 4V head is nice, they flow like crazy, and they make great high end power.

The 3V head is literally in the middle. It makes great low end torque AND great high rpm power. Dealing with the new Mustangs, I've seen the performance and the potential of the 3V head, and it rocks. If I were doing a scratch built custom motor for a killer hp Lightning and money was no object, it would definitely be a 3V head.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:04 PM
I am starting to warm up to the 3V head but only sorta....its a damn site better than a 2V thats for sure.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I wouldn't buy bottled water from SHM. They may do great things for the Mustang community, but their name is crap in the Lightning community. Do a search and see.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by LightningTuner
This is really nothing new. World has had that alloy block out for over 2 years. The same with the stroker components. This motor could have been (and has been) built 2 years ago. I guess the main issue is that most people don't want to spend that kind of $$ on a motor. The block alone is 5k. Plus the big 5.4 strokers are really race motors because the massive stroke will require yearly rebuilds if you tried to use this motor on the street (very small piston skirt area).
Sal what do you think about Sean Hyland engines ?
Any experience, bad or good with them ?

Quick Reply: Huge Sean Hyland 6.3 Liter stroker rotating assembly and race block !