Lightning

Squeaking Suspension WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaking Suspension WTF??

Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this, I keep hearing a bunch of different squeaks and creaks from under my truck when I go over the slightest bumps or even on sharper turns. I figure its my front suspension. I assumed that stuff under there was all dried out and mabey rusty which would make sense for it to creak so I had the whole underbody sprayed with anti rust oil/lubricant. The squeaks are still there! Its driving me nuts, WTF is this and has anyone come across it? What to do about it, my truck sounds like a rusty wagon.

Thanks for any input,
Marc

Last edited by SiCkSrV; 10-06-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Maybe tap or bang around under the truck with a rubber mallet to identify location(s).

I'm sure others have much better advice though

Old 09-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Check control arm bushings. Or maybe you have a family of gophers under there.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:05 PM
My 2001 L with 94,800 miles is as quiet as the proverbial mouse , but my 1997 XLT with 130,000 miles squeaks like yours Havn't tried to elimnate it yet.

Dan

Old 09-12-2006, 01:50 AM
Dont know if this will help or not, but....I had experienced a lot of squeaking noise when going around turns, over bumps, etc. After driving me nuts ofr a long time, I narrowed it down to the tailgate on the bed. Sprayed some WD-40 on the hinges and clamps, and it went away. Try opening your sliding window and see if the noise gets louder - if it does, it may be the same problem.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Old 09-12-2006, 05:48 AM
My tailgate makes the same noise! Ill spray it and the noise will be gone for a couple weeks and then it comes back. Cant seem to shake it!

Old 09-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Yes actually this is happening to me currently.. i am fixing. replacing the bushings $20 x 8

i am sure this happened for me because excessive time in mud and water tho.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:25 AM
About 35 years ago I worked for a friend at his garage, learning simple things like lube and tune. An older man came in with a 69 Z28 Camaro with the four speed and all the goodies. After I stopped drooling over his car I asked him what we could do for him. He explained that although the car was almost new, it had several bad squeeks coming from the suspension and or body. My friend, who had started out working on model T's told me to put the car on the rack and start lubing all moving parts and attachments with brake fluid. The customer didn't believe it would help and I didn't either, but after lowering the car and going for a test drive, customer driving (rats) the customer was blown away. All squeeks and unwanted noises were gone. Have done this for years on many different vehicles and it has always, always worked. Try it on your tailgate squeek instead of WD40 and see how long it lasts. Don't get it on your paint. Bill

Old 10-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Anyone else got a guess??
Im still dealing with this crap, since I changed the front springs to a Groundforce set and still squeaks as bad as before, when the suspension was apart everything got a good helping of grease, the noise went away for like 3 hrs then came back... Im afraid to change the bushings cause I dnt want to keep spending money changing the stuff that may or may not be the problem... I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT IS FOR SURE!! (whoa, sorry this is just frustrating the hell out of me)

Thanks again
Marc

Old 10-04-2006, 09:38 PM
My 2004 had some good ones, I tried a few things and ended up putting some pieces of teflon at a few spots between the frame and the bed, been quiet for 2+ yrs now.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:21 PM
If you used urathane (sp) bushings you have to grease them 1st or they'll squeek like a mouse in heat!

Old 10-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by jordans30
Dont know if this will help or not, but....I had experienced a lot of squeaking noise when going around turns, over bumps, etc. After driving me nuts ofr a long time, I narrowed it down to the tailgate on the bed. Sprayed some WD-40 on the hinges and clamps, and it went away. Try opening your sliding window and see if the noise gets louder - if it does, it may be the same problem.

Hope this helps,

Steve
That's where my annoying squeak comes from on my '02 L. WD-40 seems to last me 3-4 months in that same area on the tailgate.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no magic fix. Stop wasting time venting and start posting more useful information.

Front, rear, or both?

Right, left, or both?

If you don't have the answers, go out and get them. Drive over a one-wheel bump, like the end of a speed bump.

Is there any urethane under your truck? If so, what?

When the suspension was greased, what was not greased? For instance, bushings are lubed in the inner sleeves. But the squeaking usually comes from the bushing interface with the outer sleeve, which many people do not grease at all.

BTW, did you really "have the whole underbody sprayed with anti rust oil/lubricant"? I can't even imagine why one would do something like that. Who suggested it? Were they on meth?

Old 10-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Hey Tim, while your suggestions were pretty useful, your tone is just plane gay... Why do you feel the need to act like a tuff guy on the internet? Mabey those things trouble shooting tips were obvious to you but not everyone has extensive mechanical or automotive knowledge. I thought that was the point of this type of site, so that ppl can gain knowledge and share eachother's experiences in order to aid others with trouble shooting.

I guess you have alot higher an understanding of Ford trucks and what not than the average person, I hope you feel important...

Marc

Oh, and the whole driving over a one-wheel bump thing was tried awhile ago and the squeaks came from both sides of the front. Also, spraying the whole underbody with oil/grease will not only lubricate any moving parts but will also repel water and help in rust prevention... I live in Canada, it gets pretty wet and salty up here most of the year.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:20 PM
I kinda got the same impression!

As for the oil sprayed on the underneath the truck I wouldn't do it. It's you preference but that will eventually work into electrical components, starter,brake sensors,etc which would cause a problem. I'm certain that over time it would brake down the rubber bushings & wiring insulation. Also after its all oiled up if you drive down a dirt road you now have 100 pounds of dust clinging to it. Just my opinion, good luck.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Suspension WTF??