Lightning

Should I Go WIth 3.73 Or 4.11 Gears Or Leave In The 3.55's????

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2000, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spiro

How you doing?
Aren't those pockets empty yet. How in the he!! am I going to catch up with you if you keep spending money like a drunkin sailor?

Lightning Bob

[This message has been edited by Lightning Bob (edited 07-19-2000).]

Old 07-20-2000, 12:48 AM
Thumbs up

HANKFAN- I just did this mod (4.10 Ford Motorsports gears) last week. I paid $255.00 for M4209-H410 gear set, Pinion nut $ 9.50, synthetic gear oil and PT additive all abtainable at your local Ford dealer except for the gears.
Though they have been discontinued (e-mail me at- DWRella@webtv.net and I'll tell you the place to contact that I bought mine at and has a couple more sets in stock.)
The reason I searched for FMS gears was, after reading back posts I found a number of times problems with gear whinning-(hardened race gears), had to make shims, and the higher cost. I believe in using Ford gears (where available) in Ford vehicles. The FMS gears use the 3.55 shims and went in accuractly and didn't cause me any grief. Plus if you get in good with your local Ford dealer you could have them installed by a rear-axle tech for $100.00, like I did on saturday.. Boy this dealership LOVES MY LIGHTNING!!!!!
Now to the other points.
YOU WILL FIND after installation-
The need for another face to put the NEW GRIN ON!!
1) Traction with f-1's becomes alittle more difficult If you intend to NAIL IT form a red light.(BUT- a 15-20 mph STOMP gets that GRIN permanently Implanted. I can actually rip the F-1s all the way through 1st- and half way through 2nd gear and chirp them in 3rd. Really depends on what you are doing on the street. I do all my racing at the strip 2 nights a week so traction is different at the strip.
2) Cruiseing at 85 mph the tach is reading 2900 rpms accordinally.
3) The 1st-2nd gear shift spins them for about 30 ft.
(all done with PSP 4-way chip, level 10 shift kit, and PSP filter).
4) A chip re-calabration for tach and mph.
All in all with the Full Bassani exhaust NO ONE wants to play!!!

My PSP 4-way chip has 4-programs
1) 3000rpm rev limiter for Burnouts-strip,dumb valets and dealer car jockeys.
2) performance street
3) Race Gas Only-28" f1s
4) Race Gas Only-26" M/T E.Ts
Do I think it's worth it and would I do it again?
WHY DID I WAIT THIS LONG??????
Track Time Pending -THIS WEEKEND!!!
Dan

Old 07-20-2000, 02:49 AM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
IF I remember correctly, 2900 rpms with astock rearend and with the F-1s, gets you at 95 mph or so.

Be sure and post your times videoman, I am really intersted.

Old 07-20-2000, 06:22 AM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Forgot to add this little tidbit of information (Too much new info to justify an edit). For those of you worried about loss of gasmileage, Blue Oval news has a ford document suggesting to drop the idling speed of a mustang engine (4.6L V8) to 525 rpms, in order to help decrease fuel consumption. On a sidebar, it indicates Ford's estimation on miles per gallon improvement, compared to drop in rpms.

Their ratio was .2 mpg for every 50 rpms at idle. I figure I could use the same figure for our engines, to shoot the s#$%. It wouldn't surprize me to think this would be the case throughout the powerband. So, say a 200 rpm increase ( 3.73s, FORDSALES), for the same speed would mean a loss of approx. .8 miles per gallon. Going to 4.10s would raise rpms 400 (roger) compared to stock, and thus you would lose about 1.6 mpg. Over 22 gallons, one would lose 18 for the 3.73s, and 35 for the 4.10s. Keep in mind this is completely hypothetical, and not nearly scientific. I call it Bench Science.

Does this sound right 3.73ers, 4.10ers? I bet its close, and well worth the trade off.

Old 07-20-2000, 07:54 AM
Hankfan-

You will not be disappointed with the gear set you ordered. They are dead quite. With my 4.10's from Pyle's and my Superchip w/Trac program, I can scratch on the shift into second. You will love it, but make sure you have some slicks if you are going to a track.

Alex

Alex

Old 07-23-2000, 04:09 AM
HIGHRISK: Thanks for the feedback. I'll be sending Mike a msg soon.

Quick Reply: Should I Go WIth 3.73 Or 4.11 Gears Or Leave In The 3.55's????