Lightning

Performance handling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2000, 01:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Performance handling.

Most of the discussions here are always how to improve your truck for the drag strip.

I was wondering if anyone was looked at improving their truck more for track racing? I was wondering what options would be good to improve handling and cornering.

I've heard some mention of Roush work, another mechanic friend was talking to me about coils or something (I don't know alot about mechanics, I just drive, but I'd like to "learn along the way" so I know what the heck I'm talkign about someday).

Are there different tires that would offer better street handling?

Thanks,
Daniel

Old 05-02-2000, 01:00 PM
tvw
I'm interested in the same sort of thing; road perf. One idea I've been toying with is a change of weight distribution. I've removed the tow bar and spare tire stuff, and I'm trying to figure a way to relocate the battery to the spare tire well. Issues such as road grime and gutter splash and access are not so easy to resolve though. A nice clean aftermarket kit to do this would sure be neat! Anyway, the reason for this weight re-distribution is that it gets all 4 tires working the same, critical for good response & holding corners. I don't know what more can reasonably be done on behalf of weight re-distribution, besides moving the battery.

-tvw

Old 05-02-2000, 02:45 PM
I have been playing with my ligjning for handling having run The Big Bend event and entrered in the SilverState andPony Express weight dist is stock lf 1399,lr 916,rf 1310 rr 973 for a total of 4599,if you lower the rear down 1.5 inches and relocate the battery to the rear you will have almost a 50 50 dist if you leave the spare in place also put more caster and alittle less toe in on the alighnment but check for tire wear and rotate often

Old 05-02-2000, 02:53 PM

Ruslow: Did you successfully relocate your battery?

Here's a snippet from the email I got back from Robert:

>I have the Roush suspension on a 98 F-150
>and my new L is goin in next week. A good
>freind of mine has a 99L with Roush
>suspension and I have drivin that
>that truck before and after......
>wow....makes all the differance in the
>world. The kit from Roush is 4 Bilstien
>(Roush Valved) shocks 2 front coil
>springs and to rear leaf springs.
>Non of this "Shackle" stuff that some
>of the guys are doing. The Roush stuff is
>truely "Engineered" The price is $1500.00
>installed at a Roush instalation center.
>The number to Roush west is
>1-800-31-Roush. (Los Angeles CA)

BABolt apparently had Roush do some work on hsi truck, I hope he glances at this and can tell us what he did.

Daniel

Old 05-02-2000, 03:29 PM
Hello, am hearing alot about Roush, does anybody know anything about the the Steeda lowering kits, went by their shop in Ft Lauderdal. They said they relocate the axle and stuff. Just wondering if anybody has anyexperience with them?

Old 05-02-2000, 06:34 PM
Talking

Hello
I lowered my Lightning last September at the Roush facility here. I did not use the Bilstein shocks, believing (also knowing ) that the stock Lightning shocks would be fine. I think that the Roush system is the best way to go (stressing the word system, shocks and springs).I also know which systems SUCK, but I have no intention to put it into print here. I don't pretent to be an expert. I only have five vehicles that are lowered right now. Two of them with complete coilovers at all four corners. Plans for my Lightning: add Energy Suspension bushings (swaybar) when they become available.

Old 05-02-2000, 08:41 PM
Banned
Question

The Roush kit sounds very nice. Does anyone know how much it lowers the truck?

Old 05-02-2000, 10:37 PM
tvw - you might check with a boat supply store for a plastic battery box. I'm sure most are top loaded, so you would have to build some sort of custom frame that drops down from the spare tire well.

Old 05-03-2000, 12:33 AM
Hi guys,

One thing I forgot to mention to Daniel in my e-mail response to him about general performance handleing improvments was that of tires. This suggestion for most of you will not be very practical till your stock Goodyear F1 tires need to be replaced. I'm not sure how many other tire mfgs. make a 295/45/18
The tire I have on my New L is the BF Goodrich Comp T/A (Don't ask..long story how I got the tires in trade)
Altough not skid pad proven(by me)....it is quite obvious that the BFG tire is quite a bit softer and more sticky than the Goodyear.
The downside may be that they may wear down faster than the F1's A freind of mine with a 98 Roush F-150 got 30,000 miles out of his BFG's (they were pretty wasted)
As for how much the Roush Suspension lowers the Lightning???? My freind who has a 99L with Roush Suspension and I did the tape measure compare and found it to be a 2 inch front drop and a 3 inch rear drop. (maybe BAbolt can chime in here and confirm this)
Also when Roush does the installation of there suspension, they add the upper control arm cams for alignment purposes. Also I was "told" that the wheel alignment that Roush does is to there spec vs. the stock Ford spec.(I will confirm this)
Bottom line.....a Roush F150 Lightning is a awesome truck to drive!!!! if you like it stock you will love it with the Roush stuff on it !!!!! I have several cars also....and my best handleing car.....is my Truck!!!!

Hope this helps, Robert

------------------
00 Roush Silver Lightning
00 Roush Expedition
98 Roush F-150
98 Bell Tech GMC 454 Daully
Collector of:
Watches, Zippo Lighters, Nikon Ftn Cameras.
High End Home Audio
Sponsor: Several Go-Kart Drivers. 1999 250cc SuperKart National Champion Joe White Jr.

E-Mail: gpkart@aol.com

Old 05-03-2000, 12:37 AM
Don't know why you haven't gotten some responses on this topic; I think it is a good question, but for info on the Roush I suggest you e-mail Robert (GPKART@aol.com) and solicit his opinion. He seems to know a lot about Roush, and is having, or has had, them modify his L. And yes, there are better handling tires available for the L., the topic has been addressed on the board so do a search.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.
'00 SVT Lightning, silver, G-tech Pro, JBA headers

alphadoggy@jetlink.net

Old 05-03-2000, 12:54 AM
I didn't have a chance to go through everything yet, but on my search, tire talks have always been about which drag radials or other drag tires are best. I only came across one post about street performance tires.

I'll try emailing Robert, and as long as it is cool with him, I'll post up his reply here so some others who might be interested can see it as well.

Daniel

Old 05-03-2000, 11:15 PM
Relocated battery behind muffler, theres a big space infront of axle made braces that went to the bottom side of bed heat I dont think is that bad because of distance and air flow around box

Old 05-04-2000, 01:50 AM
Ruslow,

Can you take some pictures?

Daniel

Old 05-04-2000, 08:32 AM
Myself....I was also looking at the Roush end of things. I may do this but it will depend on the cost. I wondered if anyone tried out shocks from Edelbrock? I don't like the rebound on the Lightning shocks at all. To me, they feel like the shocks from an F-250 or F-350. I am just not sure which shocks to go with.

Paul G.

Old 05-04-2000, 09:55 AM
Hey PBGas,

Edelbrock are pretty picky about the length of shock for the application, so if they don't have one specifically for the Lightning, they won't recommend something too short or too long.

I have them on my Denali, and all I can say is DISAPPOINTMENT. The weirdest part is that they seem to suddenly lose their damping ability at around 70 deg. F. They feel great up to that point, and then all of a sudden the truck becomes really jiggly on all road surfaces. I'm almost tempted to put the Bilsteins back on. Except I paid $600.00 for them.

[This message has been edited by WHAT04 (edited 05-04-2000).]

Quick Reply: Performance handling.