Lightning

Fuel filter was cloggggged!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter was cloggggged!!

Just a reminder to change that fuel filter regularly.

Yep it happened to me driving home from work, stopped at a gas station and put $30 of gas in the tank, went to start her up and she could barely start....moaning and groaning with barely a heartbeat. After struggling to get home, shutting down twice, she was definately starving for gas. I imediately thought about the possibility of a clogged fuel filter so the next day I bought one from Ford ($20) plus a new PCV valve.

When I was taking the old filter off out poured this rusty looking gas, I was like never saw that before. Just to make sure it wasn't coming from the tank, I leaked some of the gas from the tube coming from the tank and it was clear that was a relief.

To shorten my story, the truck started right up and ran better but still not a 100% (some bogging), I figured some of that mess had reached my injectors. I bought the Redline gas treatment and will pour it in my tank tomorrow, now my question is, will this cure the problem over time or should I take it to Ford and will the extended warranty cover the injectors if they are bad?

Thanks...Bert.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Bert- Sometimes the "over the counter" stuff works, most of the times it doesn't. If it doesn't just have either Ford or a local shop that has the compressed proffesional cleaning device do it. It shouild be under $80, but well worth it. Truck drives much smoother. E-mail me . I know a guy locally that has the equipment. Lazercobra98@yahoo.com - Armand

Old 07-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the reply Armand, I'll see if the fuel cleaner works, if not I'll e-mail you about your friend.

Bert.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:23 AM
just out of curiosity, how many miles were on it and do you just fill up at the cheapest station?

Old 07-28-2006, 11:46 AM
BTW, while your there have them throw on a fuel pressure guage at the fuel rail. There is also a possiability your fuel pump lines in the tank may be the culpret. just a little FYI.My buddy George has one , too.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Slick_Sammy
just out of curiosity, how many miles were on it and do you just fill up at the cheapest station?

Probably 12,000 miles on the filter, I had changed it about five months ago. I go to Mobil and fill up with 93 octane everytime, maybe I'll change over to Chevron.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Probably not the fuel itself, may be the tanks it is in at the station.

Old 07-29-2006, 05:43 PM
You definitely could have gotten rusty water from a gas station...Just stick to the newer gas stations in Florida. By 2010 all gas stations will have their tanks replaced in fla to higher standards. Until 2010, just go to the newer remodeled ones...Chances are they had their tanks replaced and have newer filtration systems

Old 07-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

You could use a Navigator fuel filter next time you change yours. It's twice the size of a regular Lightning filter which means you don't have to change it as often. Check out this link...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=293336

Old 07-29-2006, 09:51 PM
I use this once a year to clean everything out:

CaptainInsane-O
Member Join Date: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 2001 Ford SVT

Xylene (117 R+M/2 octane) & Toluene (114 R+M/2 octane) are the most effective of the commonly available 'boosters' & can usually be found at paint supply stores like Sherwin WIlliams or Duron for $25 ~ 35 per 5 gallon can. The following is the most cost effective 'ratio' for using these products:

1 gallon of booster for every 3 gallons of pump gas

SOOoo for Xylene: (117 * 3) + (93 * 9) / 12 = 99 octane final mix

And for Toluene: (114 * 3) + (93 * 9) / 12 = 98.25 octane final mix

You also need to be sure and add ~0.5 ounces of a top cylinder lube such as Marvel Mystery Oil per gallon of booster. The lubricants normally found in pump gas WILL get diluted by the xylene / toluene & the MMO will bring it back up to spec. AN added benefit of running a xylene / toluene blend is that they are excellent fuel system cleaners & over a few tanks will remove 99.9% of any varnished old gas residue in the fuel system AND carbon buildup in the combustion chamber.

Keep in mind, you'll need to get a re-tune to take advantage of the extra octane, anyone dumping it into a bone stock ride & expecting to go faster will be sorely disappointed.

Doug C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by CaptainInsane-O : 05-21-2004 at 12:03 PM.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...Marvel+Mystery

Old 07-30-2006, 01:55 AM
Thanks guys, for all your suggestions and info, will keep them in mind in the future.

Bert.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter was cloggggged!!