Lightning

BIG Problem. PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG Problem. PLEASE HELP!!

Yesterday I went to the food store around Noon, came back parked the L in the garage and shut it off. Then I go to start it around 11 pm and its dead and I didn't leave anything on. Pushed it out of the garage, jumped it and it ran fine.

Parked it last night around 12:30 am and just went downstairs to start it (noon) and its dead again, nothing was on once again. What the hell is going on?!?!?!

I have a Yellow Top Optima Battery that I bought a month ago. So it cant be the battery could it?

Please help, this sucks.

-Sean

Old 07-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Sean,

Few questions bud:

1. When you turn the ignition, does it make a clicking sound? If it does, its your starter.

2. When you turn your key does it do anything? If not, you could have a bad connection, bad post or bad battery.

3. Take a magnet and touch the back of your altenator, do you get any type of pull? Then again, if it was your altenator, it would turn over, just wouldn't hold a charge.

4. Try jumping it, if it starts, its your battery!

Old 07-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by buzzyinmich
Sean,

Few questions bud:

1. When you turn the ignition, does it make a clicking sound? If it does, its your starter.

2. When you turn your key does it do anything? If not, you could have a bad connection, bad post or bad battery.

3. Take a magnet and touch the back of your altenator, do you get any type of pull? Then again, if it was your altenator, it would turn over, just wouldn't hold a charge.

4. Try jumping it, if it starts, its your battery!

When i turn the key, no clicking so i knew it wasnt the starter, just a few dash lights barely light up including the O/D OFF light,

Im really hoping its not a BAD battery because its a $180 month old battery, i jumped it last night and it ran.

So if there is a bad connection, where should I look?

Old 07-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Look at the ground wire or loose connections on your batt. If all is good it sounds like your batt is bad. Did you load test the batt?

Old 07-24-2006, 02:00 PM
That one month old batter has a warranty. Take it back to where you got it, and get a new one.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:01 PM
You should have a minimum of a 90 day warranty on that battery.

D-Day

Old 07-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Sounds like its the battery chief! I hope you get is squared away. I don't like to see any other Lightnings sick!

Old 07-24-2006, 03:53 PM
battery is currently at Advanced charging, picking it up in 30 mins, then bringing the truck in so they can check the alternator. I have the receipt and my battery came with a 2 year warranty also. Im hoping its the battery and not the $145 alternator.

Thanks for all the replies guys

Old 07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
well just got back from advanced, through the battery in and she fired up. thats the good news.

bad news....

as soon as i connected the neg and pos to the battery, the lights came on, and stayed on, walked to the cab and the switch was in the OFF position, so i flicked it around to all positions then back to OFF and they stayed off, then clicked back ON on their on in the OFF position.

so im guessing the problem is in the headlight switch.

Any Advice on this new problem???? Advance cant order the part because they dont care the switch with AUTO lamp AND fogs, so id have to go to FORD and im sure its at least $100 for it.

Thanks in advance.

-Sean

Old 07-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Old 07-24-2006, 09:07 PM
junkyard shoppin time

Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by MicLightning
well just got back from advanced, through the battery in and she fired up. thats the good news.

bad news....

as soon as i connected the neg and pos to the battery, the lights came on, and stayed on, walked to the cab and the switch was in the OFF position, so i flicked it around to all positions then back to OFF and they stayed off, then clicked back ON on their on in the OFF position.

so im guessing the problem is in the headlight switch.

Any Advice on this new problem???? Advance cant order the part because they dont care the switch with AUTO lamp AND fogs, so id have to go to FORD and im sure its at least $100 for it.

Thanks in advance.

-Sean
Check all the fuses under the dash. I shorted a brake/tail light once, blew a fuse, and when i turned the headlight switch on they stayed on. I uplugged the battery, replaced the fuse, fixed the short (wrong bulb in tail light socket) and everything was fine. Perhaps you have a short somewhere that is draining your battery and feeding back to the headlights. Hope that points ya in the right direction!

Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 AM
I have a BRAND NEW headlight switch still in the box.

If you need it I will give you a good deal.

E-mail me

vinnie_telesco@hotmail.com

VINNIE

Old 07-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by bnehila
Check all the fuses under the dash. I shorted a brake/tail light once, blew a fuse, and when i turned the headlight switch on they stayed on. I uplugged the battery, replaced the fuse, fixed the short (wrong bulb in tail light socket) and everything was fine. Perhaps you have a short somewhere that is draining your battery and feeding back to the headlights. Hope that points ya in the right direction!
Do that.

Also pull out the headlight switch module and check it for something broken, loose connection, dirt, etc.

It may be simple. If that doesn't work take Vinnie up on his offer.

Quick Reply: BIG Problem. PLEASE HELP!!