Lightning

Newbie with Lightnings

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie with Lightnings

hey there, i have a friend that works at the ford dealership in leesburg, va, and he's selling an 02 Lightning for 19K with 47k miles on it, and i want to buy it and get sell my current one. now, i have a 97 f-150 but its a manual, and thats pretty much all i drive are manuals. the L is an auto i know and i can get used to that, but one thing that caught my eye when reading the specs on it is the fuel cut off. when ur at full throttle and the engine revs up to the cut off (i think its between 5400-5600 rpms) does it shift to the next gear or if you overthrottle will it cut off completely? told you im a newb. so yea can anyone help me with that? and also, can anyone gimme an idea of some hardcore mods for the L because i plan on racing (the street scene...) this thing but i want to drive it to work everyday as well. any help with either of these would be appreciated. thanks!

Old 07-17-2006, 07:32 PM
First off, the fuel cut off is nothing more than a rev limiter. It only cuts fuel instead of spark. If we cut off the spark for a second, then turned it back on, there "could" be a backfire...and backfires with pressure in the intake manifold are not pretty.

Second, if you want a racer...go buy a race car/truck. Using one as a daily driver AND race car, you're asking for trouble sooner or later. Lots of us (including me) have done just that...and lots of us have had to be towed home. Seems like I had my SVO towed home more than I drove it. Extremely fun to drive, handled great, and put a spankin on some 2G lightnings, Mustang GTs, etc (SVO was NOT stock), but if you have to work on it constantly it becomes a nuisance sooner or later. Good thing I only paid $500 for it. I'd hate to invest $20000 in something that I'm going to beat on, then depend on it to get me back & forth to work every day.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:56 PM
I dont think that is a good deal for that truck unless it has some decent mods already done to it. You can find one for either less miles for the same price or vice versa. Also if you want to have a modded truck then go find one that has the mods done because you will spend way more buying a stock truck and then modding it.....just ask anyone who has built up a stock truck and then sold it....they never get back what was put in.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:52 PM
For the love of God, do not street race with it. I like my low insurance premiums and the fact that people don't associate these trucks with that silly BS. Throw on some slicks and take it to the track.

Quick Reply: Newbie with Lightnings