Lightning

SRT10 truck, going the way of the Lightning, or somethin

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't make money selling 1200 trucks per year including the quad cab. They lost a ton of cash trying to compete in a market segment which has completely dried up. Sorry guys, I like my Lightning but the market for a hot roded pick-up is gone. Even in 2004, Ford had to significantly discount Lightnings and some were still on the lot until late 2005.

If we see a Lightning, it will be a stripe and decal package similar to the current Harley Davidson. Something that is cheap to build and won't matter if it doesn't sell.

Enjoy your real Lightnings. Its very special.

TB

Old 07-13-2006, 11:56 AM
TB...while I don't disagree that the market may be gone for right now, and we may not see a Lightning like we currently own any time soon, I would like to think, looking at the history of SVT that they will not reduce themselves to sticker packages. SVT has always been (with the exception of the contour and focus) about thier vehicles doing to talk for them, no trash no flash, just performance, and well rounded performance. I would think they will continue to lay dormant before they put out an inferior product. I mean, if they wanted to put out a genIII it would be 08 at the earliest, and I would hope they would not let a 9 year old genII out perform it! They HAVE to step it up if they are going to make it.

Also, I forget who said it, sad but true, we will NEVER see a hot performing pick up for under 40 grand again. Those days are gone.....just like 2 dollar gas prices!

Old 07-13-2006, 12:01 PM
so long SVT hello SRT!!!! at least someone has stepped up and are producing high performance vehicles, all be it not a truck any more, but they have covered just about every thing else. and ford has given us what? an over priced mustang with shelby lettering on the back? way to go ford!!!

Old 07-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by jeff2001silver
so long SVT hello SRT!!!! at least someone has stepped up and are producing high performance vehicles, all be it not a truck any more, but they have covered just about every thing else. and ford has given us what? an over priced mustang with shelby lettering on the back? way to go ford!!!
Jeff go check the NELO board.. i got a question up there for you

Old 07-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Whip,
I hope you're right but for now SVT has no organization. What it really comes down to is the business case and will people buy the product. For now the market for a hot rod pick-up has evaporated. Ford is in such a predicament that they can't take any risks. The Lightning could barely sell 4000 units when gas was cheap, the SSR and now the RAM SRT. This is not going to happen. And there are now so many high performance cars that are excellent choices to satisfy almost everyone.

TB

Old 07-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by E-luzion
Jeff go check the NELO board.. i got a question up there for you
responded.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by St Louis Lightning
Actually, Lightning prices are DOWN a lot over the past 2 years. 99's selling for around 13k now, 00's for 15...

As for the SRT-10 - if there is no demand when they are new, there will be little demand when they are discontinued.

-Mark
maybe in your area. My area these trucks have rocketed because there are none for sale.Also i am referring to LOW mileage (under 20k) not daily drivers

Old 07-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Now what incentive does FORD have to produce a new lightning?

1. gas prices are rocket high
2. No competition to compete against, (chevy ss was never comp, srt is gone)

If Dodge comes out with a new srt-pickup, it will have the 425 6.1L Hemi in it. The original Hemi 5.7 was kinda bland, but this new 6.1L is pretty stout.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by lightninquick
same thing could be said for the vette,,,except for the fuel milage
My Vette is almost 6 years old and still hasn't dropped $20,000 in value, plus there will ALWAYS be a market for Vettes. -Mat-

Old 07-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by whip
Damn Mat! You selling the Z all ready? What are you looking into, Cobra? Lightning?
For the right price I would let it go.
Don't get me wrong, the car is amazing, I just feel out of place without a Ford.
I would probably pick up an 03' or 04' Cobra. Silver convertibles with black tops have really been catching my eye.
Or I might sell the thing and use the money to pay off a couple bills I have and save up some $$$.
If I keep it I plan on doing a motor over the Winter which should be a lot of fun. -Mat-

Old 07-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Unhappy

With all the civil unrest in the middle east and the certain resulting oil price increases we may never see a Gen 3!!

Old 07-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Think they would make a s /charged 4.0 ranger? a 300hp light weight ranger, the tech might spill over to the mustang, could be a market with fuel $$$$ like the dakota r/t only better,or maybe a turbo?

Old 07-13-2006, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=whip]I would like to think, looking at the history of SVT that they will not reduce themselves to sticker packages. SVT has always been (with the exception of the contour and focus) about thier vehicles doing to talk for them, no trash no flash, just performance, and well rounded performance.

I take it you haven't driven the SVT Countour or SVT Focus. Lightning, Cobra thier not, but both have well rounded performance for what the are. I have both a 99 L and a 98 C.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=68Ranger]
Originally Posted by whip
I would like to think, looking at the history of SVT that they will not reduce themselves to sticker packages. SVT has always been (with the exception of the contour and focus) about thier vehicles doing to talk for them, no trash no flash, just performance, and well rounded performance.

I take it you haven't driven the SVT Countour or SVT Focus. Lightning, Cobra thier not, but both have well rounded performance for what the are. I have both a 99 L and a 98 C.

No, I cringed saying that, because your right, they ARE great for what they are. However I think SVT's history lies more in V8 American style power, backed with refined handling, and nice (compared to stock) interiors. The contours and Foci are neat, and very fun to drive, but I don't think they define what SVT is, as much as the L and Cobra. My apologies if I offended you for the contour.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Not at all Whip. I agree with you about the V-8. When most people see the Contour they think its all aftermarket, and are suprised when I tell them it factory. Then again most don't know what a Lightning is either.

Quick Reply: SRT10 truck, going the way of the Lightning, or somethin