Lightning

New Fan Controller replaced FAL VSC w/ SPAL

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Fan Controller replaced FAL VSC w/ SPAL

Mostly Informational:

Several months ago I posted about my Flex-A-Lite VSC Controller melting on my L for the second time. I have another friend with the same controller on his L and he's had the same thing happen as well...(Carnage photo from mine is below).

I spoke with Flex-A-Lite at SEMA and the rep acknowledged they were having a problem with their Mfg and advised me to send it in...again. I waited, searched here and at some other sites and finally found a replacement I was happy with..SPAL (They mfg the unit BeCool uses)

It was $99 at Automotive Engineering here locally in the Tampa area, I've spotted them on e-bay for $79 + shipping... "I Want it NOW" syndrome cost me the extra $20.

Two speeds, 60% and 100%, sealed unit in an extruded aluminum case, very easy to install, it connected to my Autometer temp gage sending unit (Just tapped in on the wire), has the AC input, and is fully programmable to your specific temp requirements for the two speeds.

The old FAL VSC Controller:

New SPAL Unit:

Installed:

Also installed a quick disconnect I picked up at Grainger between the unit & the Fans for servicing...
Part # 3BY20 - Grey
Part # 3BY21 - Red

Overall, I'm pleased with the unit...I've installed two now and both have been working well.

Old 03-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Couple more shots:

Wiring in progress...

Old 08-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Hi,

How are your SPAL controllers holding up? I've been reading about problems others are having with their controllers and don't want the same trouble.

Did you get 2 controllers? 1 for each fan? What are the Max temperature range of these controllers? I just bought the Troyer kit and don't want any trouble with the controllers.

Thanks

Last edited by Padron; 08-23-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:31 AM
MADD Enterprises also has a great fan controller. I've been using mine for almost a year, and it's flawless. Just another option for you.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks!!

Old 08-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Padron
Hi,

How are your SPAL controllers holding up? I've been reading about problems others are having with their controllers and don't want the same trouble.

Did you get 2 controllers? 1 for each fan? What are the Max temperature range of these controllers? I just bought the Troyer kit and don't want any trouble with the controllers.

Thanks
My controller and the one I installed in a friends Lightning have been working flawlessly. Both fans are connected to one controller. I've been very happy with it so far.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Art with both of us living in basically the same area, do you think that installing these makes a significant difference on a daily driver?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi,

Any updates on these SPAL controllers? I just had a Troyer controller die after less than one year and I don't want to keep replacing them at $50 + shipping each.

Thanks

Old 06-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Padron
Hi,

Any updates on these SPAL controllers? I just had a Troyer controller die after less than one year and I don't want to keep replacing them at $50 + shipping each.

Thanks
Art's SPAL controller is still working just fine. Saw his truck running at lunch today.

Quick Reply: New Fan Controller replaced FAL VSC w/ SPAL