Lightning

Seepage around KB inlet and upper plenum

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seepage around KB inlet and upper plenum

Noticed last night when I was checking my plugs that there was what appears to be oil (motor oil, not S/C oil) seaping down from where the upper plenum bolts to the inlet of the KB. I pulled off the C&L tube and the T/B is clean as a whistle.

Also, I've had to fill the S/C reservoir at least 3 times since April / ~ 10,000 miles. Is this normal?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 11-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Dan keep a eye on your superchargers oil consumption. It sounds like the seals for the shafts to the rotor packs are starting to go. Mine did the same thing, but mine was a lot worse than yours. Remember the KB uses 50 weight synthetic oil, thats why it looks like motor oil.

I sent mine back to KB and the replaced the seals at no charge to me.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:10 AM
A good oil separator on the passenger side hose going to the rear of the plenum will help that a bunch. Pretty normal, they do it with the stock blowers too.

The KB's vent pressure in the front case through a small hole in the upper pulley bolt, so they constantly mist some oil out of there, especially at WOT. It is normal to have to add a bit periodically. I'd guess more than one KB failure is due to not keeping an eye on the oil level in the blower.

Jody

Old 11-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Don's Bolt
Dan keep a eye on your superchargers oil consumption. It sounds like the seals for the shafts to the rotor packs are starting to go. Mine did the same thing, but mine was a lot worse than yours. Remember the KB uses 50 weight synthetic oil, thats why it looks like motor oil.

I sent mine back to KB and the replaced the seals at no charge to me.
Thanks, Don. I'd say each time I've topped it off, I've put 4 - 5 good squirts in to bring it back up to level.

Originally Posted by camcojb
A good oil separator on the passenger side hose going to the rear of the plenum will help that a bunch. Pretty normal, they do it with the stock blowers too.

The KB's vent pressure in the front case through a small hole in the upper pulley bolt, so they constantly mist some oil out of there, especially at WOT. It is normal to have to add a bit periodically. I'd guess more than one KB failure is due to not keeping an eye on the oil level in the blower.

Jody
It's got an oil seperator in the spot you mention and I drain it often enough. I've changed the pulley twice and didn't really notice an abundance of oil near the bolt.

I'll just have to keep detailed notes on how often I've topped it off. I'd say the last time was in August when I switched to a smaller pulley.

Thanks again guys.

Dan

Old 11-13-2005, 07:36 AM
I just recently got my K/B back from getting the front seals replaced after leaking out the oil under boost. There were hand written notes on my install sheets telling me to only add enough oil to come up to the bottom of the lowest line if I was running a 3" or smaller pulley.
It still blows oil out under boost though...I may send it back again.

Old 11-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by wjm5806
I just recently got my K/B back from getting the front seals replaced after leaking out the oil under boost. There were hand written notes on my install sheets telling me to only add enough oil to come up to the bottom of the lowest line if I was running a 3" or smaller pulley.
It still blows oil out under boost though...I may send it back again.
I typically only fill it to the bottom mark. What kind of (brand) oil are you guys using?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Seepage around KB inlet and upper plenum