Lightning

Cleaning Question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Question?

I have some very stubborn brown spots all over the sides and back of my truck, real bad on the tailgate and rear bumper and lower quarters. I have tried bug tar remover, paint prep spray, acetone, and paint thinner. If I scrub a lot and hard it will come off, but I cant do that over the whole affected area, its not tar because the spots I did hit the tar with came right off with all the products mentioned. Any other ideas of stuff to try, I was going to use a buffer with some fine cut polish but that’s not going to work in the cracks and such.

Also on stainless exhaust tips, what kind of pad do you use to clean the stubborn stains, the tips probably have the same stuff on them but, even with normal grime a sponge doesn’t cut it that well and I’m leery to use s.o.s pads or steel wool as it will leave fine scratches, and have to be buffed.

Tks
Jim

Old 02-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Are the brown spots more of a rust color? If they are, it's probably rail dust. My wife's Exploder had it all over it. I used a clay bar kit that I bought at the local parts store. I've used them on all my trucks and it works great.

Can't help you with the exhaust tips though. Sorry.

Bob

Old 11-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by L in Detroit
I have some very stubborn brown spots all over the sides and back of my truck, real bad on the tailgate and rear bumper and lower quarters. I have tried bug tar remover, paint prep spray, acetone, and paint thinner. If I scrub a lot and hard it will come off, but I cant do that over the whole affected area, its not tar because the spots I did hit the tar with came right off with all the products mentioned. Any other ideas of stuff to try, I was going to use a buffer with some fine cut polish but that’s not going to work in the cracks and such.

Also on stainless exhaust tips, what kind of pad do you use to clean the stubborn stains, the tips probably have the same stuff on them but, even with normal grime a sponge doesn’t cut it that well and I’m leery to use s.o.s pads or steel wool as it will leave fine scratches, and have to be buffed.

Tks
Jim
sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but get love liquid lustre, it will get the spots out. I had black spots all over mine, so I used it and pow, no more spots. Use it as if you are waxing your truck!

Quick Reply: Cleaning Question?