Lightning

Problems Problems Problems w/ my 99 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-1999, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey SVT2Go, Sal here. Let me see if I can address some of your problems.

Fuel pump- this is the first I've heard of this problem. The Lightning uses twin in tanks pumps. But like any electrical part, even new stuff can fail at any time. I'm not surprised one of them went bad, it's just not common.

Alignment- this is a common issue. Even the first gen Lightnings had this problem. Supposedly you can obtain revised alignment specs from SVT to make the truck handle better and not pull, but I was informed that these specs will wear the tires faster. I work for Ford and have not seen anything on this personally. Just like the older trucks, I think the 99s will need constant attention to alginments. Probably a result of taking a production truck suspension, and beating the hell out of it in such a capable handling machine

Gas pedal vibe- I've not heard of this one either. However, I do recall a TBS concerning a vibration/howling sound at higher speeds. This could be related.

Blue smoke- this one scares me. This is also not a common Lightning problem, but is a common problem on some modular (4.6 & 5.4)motors. If you have smoke only on startup, I'd says it's a valve seal concern. If it were rings, it would smoke all the time, mainly on hard accelleration. I don't want to scare you, but you may be in need of new motor. We've replaced more than a few smokey 4.6s for this reason. But don't feel bad, I had to put a new motor in my 99 at 2200 miles due to the very common cold piston slap issue.

Hope this helps!!

------------------
SAL
13.35@103mph
All stock with PSP 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

[This message has been edited by LightningTuner (edited 11-13-1999).]

Old 11-13-1999, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My gas pedal does the same thing around 81 mph. I thought it was just me.

------------------
99.5 F-150 SVT Red Lightning
SuperChip
Build Date 8-20-99

Old 11-13-1999, 03:31 PM
PFA
I just started noticing a vibration around 80 mph myself, I thought it may need the tires to be balanced. A friend at work had the same fuel pump problem early in his mileage.

------------------
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PFA
'99 WHITE LIGHTNIN'
#0873--1 of 866--
RHINO, Soft cover
LoJack
Valentine 1
Mobil 1
Superchip
Water Wetter
Best ET to date-13.54 @101.51MPH--10/29/99
best MPH to date-102.33

'98 Red Lincoln Continental

Old 11-13-1999, 07:34 PM
Question

Sal,

What's the deal on the cam kit for allignment? I have a '98 F-150 that pulls to the right and my Lightning does it to a lesser extent. I know the only adjustment available without the cams is toe-in. Is this a labor intensive job to install the cams?

Also, What are the SVT and standard specs for the alignment? I'd rather have these numbers than trust the dealer. Not that they don't know what they are doing it's just that unless you find someone who cares they will get it within tolerance then quit. I have 0 tolerance

------------------
Mark Whatman
mwhatman@worldnet.att.net
  • 99.5 White Lightning (stock)
  • 99 Buell S3 Thunderbolt (not stock!)
  • 98 F-150 Lariat (Flowmaster)
  • 96 26' Velocity Offshore Race Boat (far from stock!!!)

Old 11-13-1999, 07:55 PM
Question

Hey Mark, Sal here. Cam kit? I didn't say anything about a cam kit. Just that SVT supposedly has different alignment specs for those who aren't satisfied with the 99s handling. Most of those owners probably own first gen Lightnings, because I can agree that the older Lightnings handle WAY better than the new ones. As for your 98 F-150, I don't know who told you all that you can adjust is toe, but I'd run away from them as far as you can. The 97-up F-series have fully adjustable front suspension, and you can adjust camber, caster, toe, and steering axis inclination with what's on the truck. You can basically adjust everything that has to do with alignment. I know, I just did one at work the other day.

------------------
SAL
13.35@103mph

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 11-13-1999, 08:07 PM
I saw a lightning at the service center,when I bought my L.I asked what it was in for and was told the fuel pump craped out.It had only 2400 miles on it.I'm getting close to 2400 my self,and keeping my finger crossed.No problem's so far,at all.
Hey Sal if your still on line could you e-mail me a price on the bassani full kit. Thanks Kevin ksanp@aol.com
------------------
JIGAWATT SVT#2698

[This message has been edited by JIGAWATT (edited 11-13-1999).]

Old 11-13-1999, 08:27 PM
Sure hope they get most of these problems solved before the 2k model prodution starts. I know it has to be frustrating for you guys who have had to endure 'down time'on your trucks.

Old 11-13-1999, 08:32 PM
Exclamation

Hey SVT2go, I just read your post on your truck. I thought I was going to fall over today when I went to start my truck and what did I see? You guessed it, blue smoke, lots of it.
Some thing else to check on....

There was a cam kit that was to be installed on the lightnings at the begining of the build cycle. This was to be done at the dealer level after they test drove suspect vehicles to correct a left pull issue. This problem was supposedly taken care of at Ontario Truck but judging from what I've been reading, it was'nt.

Unfortunatly for me, the parts from the kit were not installed properly which resulted in a moderate pull to the right. Once I had this corrected, the truck steers just fine. These truck are still very "crown sensitive" to the roads. If the dealership does the alignment, there are lightning specific specs. I will post them Monday if I think to bring them home.

Keep us posted on the oil consumption problem....

------------------
99 Lightning, Black, CD
changer, Downey SST tonneau, Class 3 hitch, Ford bed mat, tinted back window.
DOB: 4-28-99, ordered 12-27-98
Build #694
My one really cool toy..
(except my Mercury Parklane "hobby")

SVT RULES THE ROAD!!!!!

Old 11-13-1999, 11:52 PM
Sal,

Even though the suspension "design" is fully adjustable the powers that be (bean counters) decided to install blocking plates instead of adjustable cam assemblies on the upper control arm mount points. Both my dealer's service manager and 2 independant shops in my area confirmed this and pointed the plates out to me on my '98 F-150. They also showed me the cam kit P/N that they said is required to change caster and camber.

Since I have a '98 F-150 and the 99.5 Lightning I was able to check both out this evening. On the '98 both the front and rear mounting points on the upper control arms have color coded plates locking the bolts into a predetermined location. On the Lightning, the front mount has this color coded plate but the rears have no plate and the bolt head rather than the nut end facing the rear of the truck. Since there is no locking plate then I'll assume there is the mystical cam in place to prevent the bolt from shifting in the oblong hole on the frame. I assume you loosen the nut and turn the bolt to move the control arm in and out on that axis to adjust caster, and to a minor degree camber. To fully adjust the camber both the front and rear points would need to move in unison. I suppose you could put in different color coded blocking plates to accomplish the same thing (a.k.a. GM shims) but the cam gives you infinate adjustment over it's range.

If you were able to adjust everything on the truck you just worked on then I would be curious as to how you did this and is there a reference I could point my local dealer to or is it possible that they only put in the plates on a specific run of '98s?

As to the old Lightning handling better than the new Lightning I'd beg to differ. I know you have both so you are far more of an expert than me but my seat of the pants tells me the '99 is generating more cornering force and tracks better. What is does have is more push which is easily changed by adding a bit of camber. The on center problems the new ones have could be helped by adjusting the caster and toe. All of these adjustments will tend to wear tires more than the neutral settings the factories like to dial in but I'm noticing wear patterns on my fronts that tell me I want about 1/2 deg more negative camber and I'd like to dial a little of the numb on center feeling out.

What is the major handling differences you see between the old and the new?

------------------
Mark Whatman

Old 11-14-1999, 12:54 AM
Angry Problems Problems Problems w/ my 99 Lightning

HI peeps... new to the board here. Hoping I'm not repeating something thats been covered. Read everything I could before posting, but here goes anyway.

Got my 99.5 lightning about 3.5 months ago now. I won't even go into the saga of problems with dealers, deposits, and lies. Finally got a local honest deal here in town to get me one. (Way to go Bob Townsend Ford In Cincinnati)

Ok, now the problems:
At 2k miles, fuel pump died, ford replaced it and it hasn't been a problem since. Anyone else had this problem?

I've had the truck in twice for alignment issues. The damn thing pulls to the right no matter what. The ford dealer claims it's the oversized tires, I say hogwash, my 96 Cobra never did this. At $350 per tire I'd rather not ruin a set of tires needlessly. Anyone else having problems with the truck pulling at the 70 plus speeds?

Another problem, I have a terrible shimmy in the gas peddle between 81 and 83 mph. It's so bad with out looking at the speedo I can tell you instantly when I get to 81mph. It's the speed not the engine revolution. If I switch out of overdrive and back into 3rd, the shimmy is still there. Haven't taken it back to ford yet, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Last problem which the dealer hasn't addressed yet. At start up I have lots off blue smoke, dealer claims it will go away between 5k and 10k miles as the rings settle in. I just turned over 5k this weekend, still smoking at start up.

Beyond the problems have to say I love the truck. But I seem to have one problem with this truck after another.

------------------
* 99.5 Black Lightning

Old 11-14-1999, 01:21 AM
Hey Mark, Sal here. That's kinda funny. Until I just went and looked at my 99, I've never seen those plates before on any truck I've aligned. I just simply loosened the bolts, and made my adjustment. As for the differences in handling between the two Lightnings,my impressions are not as specific as yours . Just owning the two, you really feel the differences. It is true that the new Lightnings have a much more "plush" feel that makes them seem less capable, compared to the older trucks that let you feel evey crevis in the road. But I can't take turns in the 99 that I can in the 95. Both trucks have stock tires and suspension. If you look at the controlled skidpad numbers for both trucks, you will notice that the 99 pulled .85g, while the 93-95s pulled .89g. Also, The 99 really pulled .85, but the ealry trucks pulled closer to a full G during testing. Here is a clip cust from a post from Gary Siegel (first gen Lightning engineer):

<<The Target for lateral acceleration for the '99.5 Lightning was only
0.8G, and they achieved 0.81G so they matched their Goal, but the
original Lightning was able to maintain 0.9G with spikes to 1.0G, even
starting with the older and less "refined" F150 chassis.>>

I can't explain exactly why there is such a difference. Yes, the 99 has larger rims, and more low profile tires, but I think that was needed to make the heavier truck handle good. Plus the earlier trucks had improved steering,while the 99 used production F-series steering. The 99 doesn't feel as "connected" to the road as the early trucks. Even though the 99 Lightning is quite different from a standard F-series, aside from the springs and a few small parts, the 99 suspension is production F-series. The early trucks however, had thicker and re-enforced frames, improved steering, different front suspension parts, and many other unique parts. Anyway, I've run on too long, just my opinions being that I own both trucks...

------------------
SAL
13.35@103mph

Old 11-14-1999, 09:12 AM
Wink

Sal,

That's why I said you probably know more than me about the differences

The 94 Lightning I drove was pretty abused and probably was way out of spec. I'm pretty sure the Roush suspension gets closer to the older numbers but you sacrifice towing capacity. I'll bet the more agressive front end numbers would get the G's a little closer to the .9 number. I was also unaware of the special tweeks they did to the early Lightnings vs. the new ones. I was never really turned on by the older trucks. Just call me a "Johny come lately" to the Lightning fold

Regardless, I love the '99 and I think after some alignment tweeks I'll love it even more.

I asked about simply removing the plates and making the adjustments but they insisted it wouldn't maintain the settings without the blocking plates or the cam. Me thinks it's a ploy to sell a $70 part and a couple hours of labor. Oh well, If I had a rack I'd do it myself. I think the reality is the plates allow for a "pretty close" setting at the factory and probably shaved a few minutes from the assembly time. Those damn bean counters.

------------------
Mark Whatman

Quick Reply: Problems Problems Problems w/ my 99 Lightning