Lightning

Superchip for Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-1999, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm standing by Superchips because I'm one that posted improved ET's. I've seen about 30 to 35 post with about 95% showing great improvements. I myself ran many times before I was superchipped, my best then was 14.12 now after being superchipped about 4 weeks I'm down to 13.67. I would not even consider
taking this chip out now.

Mike don't sweat the light stuff these uncalled for threads that I've been seeing
are taken very lightly by us F150 Online members. We know who the King of Performance
chips is: "Hail to Superchips". Just a little support because I know you have been so helpful and I seen all the postive feedback from the F150 online member on this board since you introduced the superchip.

Terry
99.5 Red Lighting all 3 factory options,Superchipped Mpc Wraparound Bugshield colormatched and clearcoated,line Xed, K&N filter maybe or Sal Filter Assy

Old 09-13-1999, 11:27 PM
I'm kind of sad to see that this board has become a forum for business wars and/or people defending their products. I believe the intent is to let Lightning owners post their findings and thereby help others. We risk the danger of having owners feel they need to defend or condemn the product/s they purchased based on the performance they achieved. It's no secret that no two Lightnings are the same and no two drivers can duplicate their race results like a John Force or Kenny Bernstein (even they have 'off' days). So, let's get back to posting what we've learned using the products each of us made a free choice to purchase. Other owners can then make their decisions based on our experiences. Keep the BS in the pen - where it belongs!

Chuck
Gen. II Lightning (#0763), towing, liner, SST soft tonneau, CD player that works, clear turn signal lenses, color keyed mirror caps, front end pops fixed, no piston slap (yet)

Old 09-14-1999, 12:30 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is quickly becoming non-productive.It's one thing to post results, etc. but this is quickly becoming little more than argumnts over favorites, to put it mildly.

It's very clear from past posts and many satisfied Lighting owners what the Superchip does, and I will be happy to put it up against any competing product.

Our bests to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 09-14-1999, 09:06 AM
hotrod, most of the guys down here in the lightning section, who's vehicles were strangled from the factory, have had great results with the superchip. i would keep mine in even if it lost a tenth, it's a huge noticeable difference in all around driveability. if yours does "nothing" something is wrong with the chip or your truck or both. don't they have a money back guarantee, i'd certainly either get a new chip or my money back, or get my truck to them for an opinion.

Old 09-14-1999, 09:38 AM
Cool

Cheez MRBBQMAN, that sounds perfectly reasonable. Why didn't someone think of that before we started losing control of our collective bladders?

------------------
1999 Black Lightning - w/Super Chip, CD Changer, Towing Package,Grey Rhino, clear corner lenses.

Old 09-15-1999, 11:53 PM
Have to agree with the above post of Topcat and MrBBQ......Having or not having a chip has nothing to do with your ability to run the 1/4 mile.....I've seen guys that were great and others that could not turn a 16 second 1/4 with a C5. So remember having a chip in itself does not make you a great racer!

On another point those of us who have been here for a while will remember posts about the quality of our forum. The reason we started the Lightning Heading here was to get away from other sites and groups that tolerated some of the crap that has started here. If you want to be ostracized then continue.....if you have a difference in opinion take it up with the individual and keep it off the board.

While all of us here enjoy the input and information of our aftermarket providers, lets keep it at that (input, information) and let us decide what products or services to purchase for our trucks.

Old 09-26-1999, 11:54 AM
Got my Superchip from Mike Troyer on Thursday. Had a little trouble telling when all the goo was off the contacts on the computer board, especially on the 'back' side as space is limited. Just kept scraping with a small screwdriver and rubbing with the green pad until nothing more came off.

The big problem I had was with the way the switch wires come out of the Superchip housing. The plastic they use to fill the housing had built up around the wires to where they wouldn't fold over so that the chip would sit up against the computer housing. I did my best to trim it back, but the chip still was held away from the computer at an angle. Duct tape was used to hold it in place and it seems to make full contact. Superchips needs to revise the way the wires are routed out of the housing to avoid this situation.

The truck ran noticeably better right away. Pulled and shifted harder, but, I noticed a little spark knock at higher RPM’s. That went away after a few learning cycles, but, when I switched back and forth between programs for back to back runs, it knocked a little again. Today, after running on program 2 for several cycles it seems ok.

I took it to the FME Dyno Day yesterday at Paul's High Performance in Jackson, MI. What a great event at a nice facility! Beautiful 70 degree sunshine. Barometer just over 29 inches. Pulled a high of 355 hp and 440 lbs/ft with the Superchip on program 2. Paul said it would probably get higher torque numbers if he could pull from lower than ~3,200 RPM (done to avoid transmission kick-down). Turns out he is also a Superchip dealer and has a lot of experience with them in Lightnings. He said the computer has a long relearn after switching programs and that you should leave it in one position for awhile to get the full benefit.

I’m hoping to get back to Milan Dragway soon to see the difference there.

Old 09-28-1999, 03:25 AM
PFA
Hey DH
I'll be going down to Milan Dragway on Friday Oct. 1st. Maybe I'll see ya there.

------------------
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PFA
'99 WHITE LIGHTNIN'
RHINO, Soft cover
LoJack
Valentine 1
Mobil 1
Superchip
Water Wetter
Best ET to date-13.68

Old 10-04-1999, 11:00 AM
WOW! With a lot of help from JA_Stang86 I'm finally able to post these pictures from the FME Dyno Day last weekend:

Paul said the uneven curve between 4,000 and 4,400 RPM is typical of Superchipped Lightnings. He thinks it is some sort of calabration problem. You could sure feel it during the pulls, but I don't feel near as much during road runs.

Thanks, Jeff! Hopefully I can figure out how to do this on my own next time.

PFA:
I went down to Milan Dragway Friday night but they were having the 'Frostbite Nationals' all weekend and wouldn't let me run. I hope to get some runs in before they close for the season.

[This message has been edited by DHFerguson (edited 10-04-1999).]

Old 10-05-1999, 03:43 AM
PFA
Hey DHFerguson...and anyone else,
How does this wed. (10/6) or fri (10/8) sound for some tracktime?

------------------
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PFA
'99 WHITE LIGHTNIN'
RHINO, Soft cover
LoJack
Valentine 1
Mobil 1
Superchip
Water Wetter
Best ET to date-13.68

Old 10-05-1999, 09:03 AM
I try to get there tomorrow. It is supposed to be clear and cool (if you can believe the weather people).

Quick Reply: Superchip for Lightning