Lightning

leaf spring shim position when stock...'04

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leaf spring shim position when stock...'04

took my shims out last weekend because of a low speed vibration when doing parking lot manuvers. the shims were supposedly flipped when the shackles (4" jlp) were installed. still had the vibration after i removed them so maybe they weren't flipped at all. so now i'll go out to the garage and reinstall them but make sure they are flipped (opposite of stock) but i need to know how they were when stock...fat end to the rear or fat end to the front? just fyi, when turning from a dead stop i have a vibration. no vibration when i go straight. does anyone else's do this? heck it may be normal for lightnings and i don't know it or is it a pinion angle thing? maybe the limited slip?

Old 06-19-2005, 10:27 AM
anyone? i need to get out there.

Old 06-19-2005, 12:48 PM
If you look closely the shims are actually stamped "front", so you know which way to place the wedge.

Old 06-19-2005, 02:17 PM
shims

Gary, The thick end of the shim goes to the front on my 04. Let me know what happens. I'm putting in my jlp shackles today. Mark

Old 06-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by scv8
If you look closely the shims are actually stamped "front", so you know which way to place the wedge.
D'OH!! you're right...i didn't notice that. thanks :o

two people on another board suggested the rear end is the cause, one of them has actually experienced the same vibration and he said it was the clutches in the rear end and that the dealer will fix it. i've got plenty of
warranty left so they'll be getting a visit soon. i'll put the shims back in next weekend as it's turned out they were flipped after all (now that i know how they were originally). the pinion angle was measured (by the dealership) with the shims flipped and they told me it was correct...3*. you now see why i was concerned.

thanks for the replies.

Last edited by gbgary; 06-19-2005 at 09:45 PM.

Quick Reply: leaf spring shim position when stock...'04