Lightning

Cleaning the Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cleaning the Air Filter

Does everyone clean their PSP, K&N, etc., conical aftermarket air filters? I'm cleaning my PSP air filter this afternoon. Although it's not a K&N unit, I always use K&N's Recharger kit to clean it.

For those who don't know, the K&N kit consists of a spray bottle of cleaning solution and an aerosol can of special air filter oil. (The oil is a combination of animal and mineral oil and contains a red dye, so you know where you have reoiled.)

You take the filter (with its prefilter attached) off, brush off any surface dirt, spray on the cleaning solution, wait 10 minutes, rinse it off from the inside, let it dry naturally, then reoil and let it set for 20 minutes before reinstalling. (Because of the red dye, any spots you missed will appear lighter colored and will need to be touched up before reinstalling.)

K&N recommends doing this every 50-60,000 miles unless you drive in dusty conditions but I do it every 10-12,000 miles or once per year.

Old 05-30-2005, 07:36 PM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the AF1 filter. I bought another filter so I wouldn't have so much down time waiting for the filter to dry.

Old 05-30-2005, 07:48 PM
I love it! Of course, if I lived in Vermont, that might end up being a January project.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:20 PM
I use the K & N Kit to clean my PSP PowerStack filter. Seems to work well. You just want to be careful not to "overdo it" - and spray too much oil on it.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:47 PM
I apply light oil and let it sit over night.

I drenched one once on my jeep. I had to clean all the sensors. Now I do it correctly and let it sit overnight to make sure that any extra oil drips out.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:55 AM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by F150SVT
I love it! Of course, if I lived in Vermont, that might end up being a January project.
No "Garage Queen" here. I drive my truck all year round.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Air Filter