Lightning

Oil in the intake... Have we been wrong all this time??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by wydopnthrtl
The majority of the oil is coming from the pass side valve cover and into the upper plenum just behind the IAV.
Rich
Yep. That's why I've always said put a breather on the valve cover, and block off the PCV with a 7/16" bearing in the elbow above it. You'll stop any new oil from being ingested, and you'll just recirculate the oil that's already in the intake.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb lubing the rotors

I'm a Mercury outboard tech and can tell you that the new Verado (a supercharged inline six outboard) has an oil line going directly into the blower for the intended purpose of lubing the rotors. Engineers don't do things like that for no reason...It only makes sense that the oil line on our Lightnings serves the same purpose. I took my oil seperator off as soon as I learned this and came to the same conclusion as Sal. Weigh the odds boys dirty intake vs unlubed blower rotors spinning at very high RPM.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by captainoblivious
Here's an oil separator that a bunch of the Contour guys have been doing: right click, save as.

In the Contours the oil gets sucked into the intake manifolds, causes restricted airflow, gunks up the secondaries and gets to the point where it's difficult to open them. I cleaned my secondaries after only 45k miles and it made a difference in how the engine runs.

I don't like the intercooler getting gunked up nor oil getting in the combustion chamber.
Do the plastic scrubees get attacked by the petroleum at all? I was wondering what would be wrong with using a bunch of steel wool after judiciously running it through a blow gun to get any smaller particles out. Once exposed to the oil, the steel wool would never degrade?

Old 04-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Re: lubing the rotors

Originally posted by Jurgensb
. . . Weigh the odds boys dirty intake vs unlubed blower rotors spinning at very high RPM.
I'm still not getting why the rotors need any lube -- they aren't contacting anything. The bearing surfaces are greased and the gears are in an oil bath.

I mean, with this logic, why don't I go out and slather the outside of my wheels with grease -- they rotate also.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Re: Re: lubing the rotors

Originally posted by Tim Skelton
I'm still not getting why the rotors need any lube -- they aren't contacting anything. The bearing surfaces are greased and the gears are in an oil bath.

I mean, with this logic, why don't I go out and slather the outside of my wheels with grease -- they rotate also.

I would imagine the reason is the same as why most of us use automotive waxes, that contain oil, on our exterior finish. My sheet metal doesn't contact anything but high speed air, a little dirt and grit and some water... same as the intake tract.

Last edited by TiresWinRaces; 04-01-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:43 PM
There are thousands of supercharged GM’s running around out there with absolutely no oil in the intake or going through the supercharger. Those cars tend to build up a deposit of carbon on the rotors that fills in the gaps between rotors and case and end up sealing better then when new.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Blown347Hatch
Do the plastic scrubees get attacked by the petroleum at all? I was wondering what would be wrong with using a bunch of steel wool after judiciously running it through a blow gun to get any smaller particles out. Once exposed to the oil, the steel wool would never degrade?
i used stainless steel chore boys in mine(similar build per that link) and stuffed some in the drives side tube retained by some safety wire on both ends. only a light film now, none in intake boot

Old 04-01-2005, 03:49 PM
So the oil seperator (aftermarket), as designed, does just the right thing. It eliminates the liquid oil from entering into/onto the intercooler, which is very bad for cooling efficiency, and allows the pcv system to operate normally, as designed.

I think this was fun reading, interesting hyperbole, and, in the end, didn't change a thing.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by TimBurntire
So the oil seperator (aftermarket), as designed, does just the right thing. It eliminates the liquid oil from entering into/onto the intercooler, which is very bad for cooling efficiency, and allows the pcv system to operate normally, as designed.

I think this was fun reading, interesting hyperbole, and, in the end, didn't change a thing.
Actually no. The point was that the system may have been DESIGNED to work this way, and therefore normal operation IS allowing oil into the system. If they didn't want oil in the intake, there would be no third line in the PCV system, like all other vehicles.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Well crap. Do I need to go "breathers with a BB in a tube" method, or keep my Oil Seperator? I have 10k on my baby, with teh seperator being on since 300 miles. I want to keep it clean, but I want my engine to last. Could care less about the Eaton. When that goes, I'll get an MP .

Interesting thought... Would Ford void a warranty repair on a seized Eaton if the truck has an Oil Seperator?

Old 04-01-2005, 05:17 PM
So do the 03+ Cobras have oil-in-the-intake problems too? Did Ford route their PCV systems the same way, with blower rotor "lubrication" characteristics? I know the valve on the Cobra's passenger side valve cover is one-way (unlike ours).

Old 04-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by LightningTuner
. . . normal operation IS allowing oil into the system. . . .
Why? What in there needs lubrication that doesn't already have it?

Old 04-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Old 04-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by BMWBig6
So do the 03+ Cobras have oil-in-the-intake problems too? Did Ford route their PCV systems the same way, with blower rotor "lubrication" characteristics? I know the valve on the Cobra's passenger side valve cover is one-way (unlike ours).
Love the new Sig LOL... your photoshop skills really are getting good

Old 04-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by MadNess
Love the new Sig LOL... your photoshop skills really are getting good
Practice does make perfect!

Quick Reply: Oil in the intake... Have we been wrong all this time??