Lightning

Its a thunder, NOT a lightning! What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It wasn't every produced by ford. it was a dealer item and the dealer made 6 of them.

alot of dealers will do this when htey have a particular truck sitting for over a year they'll go ahead and convert it.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:48 PM
I really don't see why you're bashing this guy. He may be either niave or a sheister by saying that his truck is some kind of collector piece... But to bash the guy, and make fun of his truck directly is not cool. It's car snobbery. So your truck is faster, and that makes you so much better. He knows it's not as fast as a lightning and he makes no claims that it is...
Some people astound me.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Old 03-18-2005, 10:20 PM
100% Hillbilly

Old 03-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Struck In AZ,

I can't believe you would make a point of contacting this guy (probably a kid) and harass him about his truck, call it gay, etc.

I think it is pretty childish of you. Joking about it here is one thing,but going out of your way to harass him by e-mail is going too far. If you don't like his truck, fine, but give him a break.
Maybe he can't afford a Lightning like you.

Except for the Thunder badges, I personally think it is a nice, clean truck.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by rbraughn

I can't believe you would make a point of contacting this guy (probably a kid) and harass him about his truck, call it gay, etc.

I think it is pretty childish of you. Joking about it here is one thing,but going out of your way to harass him by e-mail is going too far. If you don't like his truck, fine, but give him a break.

Except for the Thunder badges, I personally think it is a nice, clean truck.
What can I say...I was bored and that thing is unusually gay (although it's the story of the ever-elusive 'Thunder' that's the worst part about it). As I wrote above, and I'll quote it again, "I actually agree with you and there isn't anything wrong with being proud of what you own but to talk up a 'Thunder' like it's some ultra rare '69 ZL-1 motored Bow Tie cracks me up." The agreement part of my statement above was that it was a clean, decent looking truck for the most part. What I take issue with, and while the cat selling it may or may not know any better, is some clown stating his truck is something it's not. Is it some 'one of a kind' Ford creation that's going to rival the value of a genuine GT40 some day? No...it's a 'special' truck created by a dealer and they managed to snow two people about its exclusivity. If you're going to sell something and you're trying to get top dollar for it by wrapping some great tale around the item you're selling you better have a pretty good idea that the story is true (or have five or six friends to verify your tall tale). Let's face it, what this guy's selling, and with a reserve of $15,500 mind you, is a clean 2002 V6 F150 with some questionable add-ons. A similar V6 with roughly the same mileage is going for anywhere from $10,000-11,500.

And with what I assume this guy paid for the truck it's likely he could have gotten a '99-'00 Lightning. What I do feel bad about is that some kid (which this guy isn't) who knows nothing about cars is going to believe this guy's story and will convince his old man to buy the truck thinking it's going to be worth something one day.

I'm far from a car snob and the fact that I own an L plus a buck-and-a-half gets me a cup of coffee in the morning. And for the record, my truck hasn't moved in a year and the blower is still in a box so technically his truck is faster at this point in time, which makes him an infinitely better person. The irony of this whole situation is the guy selling the truck is less thin-skinned than some of you guys on here defending him. And if he's such a great guy and the truck's not that bad I'm sure he'll cut you a smoking deal on it...$15K even sound good?

Last edited by Struck in AZ; 03-19-2005 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:06 AM
I think that this guy is a con artist trying to rip someone off. There are lots of crooks out there, this guy with his slapped together crap could very well be one of them.

Old 03-19-2005, 02:30 AM
Ford sell a "Thunder" truck here in the UK, but it's a Ranger - http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/rangerthunder/-/-

Mike

Old 03-19-2005, 02:50 AM
i dont think the guy is a con artist. hes not lying about any of the truck's specs or condition. i think $15 k maybe a little on the high side to ask for it, but he is prolly just throwing the same pitch that convinced him to buy the truck in the 1st place. if youre going to be pissed at anybody, be pissed at the dealership who made it

its a nice looking truck and in good condition, id prolly take it over a new dodge any day

Last edited by Smok][n; 03-19-2005 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:55 AM
Is that the BIGGEST front bumper gap ever or is it just me?

Old 03-19-2005, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Guapo
I really don't see why you're bashing this guy. He may be either niave or a sheister by saying that his truck is some kind of collector piece... But to bash the guy, and make fun of his truck directly is not cool. It's car snobbery. So your truck is faster, and that makes you so much better. He knows it's not as fast as a lightning and he makes no claims that it is...
Some people astound me.

I agree completely, Mr. Handsome. It would be like making fun of someone’s spelling, grammar, syntax, misuse of lower case characters and the use of cliched idioms on the internet. That would be intellectual snobbery which is much worse than "car snobbery", no?

Struck in AZ may have shown poor judgement in e-mailing this person, however the seller has chosen a very public forum to stretch the boundaries of ethical business practices by potentially misleading bidders about his truck. I don't think that anyone who has posted in this thread feels that the seller is being 100% honest in his representation of the vehicle. The seller’s listing is another example of poor cyberspace judgement. Neither crime is being punished, only judged by individuals whose attitudes, style and opinions might also be questioned. All of this behavior is due to the wonderful freedoms we enjoy in this country. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion and that should be respected.

My opinion is that this thread is also representative of many of the "sporting" flame wars that occur on a regular basis all over the "internets" (a reference to a very famous gaff by a very famous person), which I find generally amusing or that I might just ignore. It is also emblematic of the practice of uncovering eBay con artists which is generally welcomed and valued in these forums. I'd be willing to bet that many of us have been mislead on eBay and regret not speaking out after a bad experience.

Peace.

Last edited by coopersunc; 03-19-2005 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Well I E-mail the guy, not to bash him just to ask about the truck and ask him if he had proff that the truck was some kind of special ford or dealer package, and here is his response.

So what did the research show? There is nothing anywhere about this kit. If you'd like I will take some pics of the conversion receipt and send them, or I could give you the phone number of the dealership who did them. It's up to you. Please the next time you email me don't be so negative and please don't say my truck is not legit, cause it is. I am 19yrs old, in college, and live in a little town in Arkansas I am not a scam artist, I have never even used ebay before this truck. I just want to get rid of it before I tear it up(I live on a dirt road). And some people love the looks of the Lightning, but can't afford the insurance. And this is a truck that looks better, gets better gas mileage, and is VERY cheap on insurance. If you do find some useful information from one of your forums.. enlighten me, cause I have done about 24hrs worth of research with nothing. Now I called the number on the receipt and they told me everything. If you have anymore questions or concerns please email me back and tell me whats up. And thank you for being a little polite I have had plenty of people email that are so rude, and they have no clue about me or my truck.

God Bless,
brad

all I can say the guy sounded honest and was very pollite. what I did not like, if you read his response he basically says that his truck looks better than a Lightning.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by rbraughn
Struck In AZ,

Yeah who are you to express your opinion. We need to sit around the camp fire singing Kum by ya...
Here
http://www.backyardgardener.com/loowit/song/song52.html

YMCA CAMP LOOWIT CAMPFIRE SONGS

Campfire Song Index
KUM BY YA

Kum by ya my Lord, kum by ya
Oh, Lord kum by ya.
Someone’s crying Lord, kum by ya
Someone’s praying Lord, kum by ya
“ singing “
“ laughing “
Come by here my Lord, come by here.

GEESH.

Are you people MEN or social workers? I wonder sometimes.

Last edited by l-menace; 03-19-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Ya that guy must be a retard............... Oh wait that guy is me. I can't beleive you all have 4 pages of crap and bashing about my truck. It hasn't even been on ebay that long. I just want to say how discourteous and impolite this article is. This is what your buddy wrote to me.

quote "Are you kidding me? Where do I start… You’ve got an additional $9,000 dumped into a V6 F150. Sure it’s got the Lightning taillights, front fascia, side skirts and side-exit exhaust but when the day’s done it’s still a V6 F150 (regardless of what those sweet converted King Ranch badges say). Any idea what dealership was authorized to convert it to the ‘Thunder’ package? Sounds like a dealership’s way of selling a poor man’s Lightning but I’m sure neither the original purchaser nor you got lubed when you bought that sweet vehicle. And that chrome bumper…so sweet on a blacked out truck (looks like the dealer forgot to install the blacked-out Lightning bumper) but I’m sure it’s such a great ride you never even noticed. And the cold air intake, throttle body spacer and soon-to-be installed cam have turned that V6 into a screamer…putting down a whopping 137 hp at the back wheels I would guess. It’s a good thing you have that 3.5” tach that’s been professionally mounted so you know when to bang gears in that beast…unfortunately as you’re rowing through the gears of your barely-legal Top Fueler the kid in his mom’s Accord has dropped you like a bad habit and is now bragging to his friends how he just smoked a ‘Lightning’. And 80% wear on the front tires in 500 miles – stop wasting your money on getting it detailed and get the front end aligned my good man.

Despite the fact that you can polish a turd until the cows come home at the end of the day you’re still left with a shiny piece of ****…if you get my drift.

And as far as gay…you may want to check here to see what others think about your one of a kind ride: "endquote

Now if this is how you guys want to be represented then I want no part of this board or any of the people on it. I have talked to many L owners(in person, online) about my truck, did they bash it......no all they gave me where compliments. Actually I don't think anyone has ever bashed my truck peroid. I know my truck is not a lightning and never will be.And yes I get mistaken half the time for a lightning, but its not like I drive around like my screamin v6 will out run a even an rx8. I know exactly what my truck is capable of. And it's not 138rwhp either. That just shows how immature and juvenile some people can be. And I feel sorry for the lightning community because of people like you. I have probably never even talked to one of you on this board, you don't know me and I don't know you, but yet you still insist on making assumptions on what type of person I am because of my truck. All I can do is sit back and laugh. Now I appreciate the few who have stepped out amongst the crowd and took up for a man, kid that you don't know, or know very little instead of just going along w/everyone else, Everyone who has an L here congrats, but there are other things more important than how fast your truck goes, or how a truck looks. It's just transportation.

Last edited by charles6; 03-19-2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by charles6
Everyone who has an L here congrats, but there are other things more important than how fast your truck goes, or how a truck looks. It's just transportation

you REALLY don't understand, do you?

Quick Reply: Its a thunder, NOT a lightning! What is it?