Lightning

C&L Intake Plenum Test in Latest MM&FF

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 12:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C&L Intake Plenum Test in Latest MM&FF

Dynoed at JDM on a truck with full exhaust, 6 lb. lower, filter and chip/tuner.

And the results...drum roll please...peak power increased 8.4 hp and 4 ft.-lbs. of torque! And this stellar gain was acheived with the install of a single blade TB at the same time (hell, my single blade provided me with a gain of 6 hp). I've seen a few posts now that indicate that some of the gains touted may be a bit of a stretch...like, "Dyno testing of this intake on multiple vehicles has shown a typical increase of 12-14 HP and as much as 24 ft/lbs of torque when changing the upper manifold by itself. When used in conjunction with a single blade throttle body, gains of between 19-21 HP and as much as 30 ft/lbs of torque are possible." Seems C&L may be overstating their results a tad... $300 for an intake that seemingly provides no gain and has been shown to have issues with things like the EGR bolt holes not being tapped deeply enough - perfect!

Last edited by Struck in AZ; 12-22-2004 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well... from a air flow perspective at WOT you want the blower to not be starved. Adding a plenum with increased volume will only serve to help that starvation to *not* happen.

Every little piece does help the overall objective.

NOW! Whether it's a good "value" is certianly up for debate!

Rich

Old 12-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well from my days in Mustangs, C&L has always been overrated in thier HP claims.

Just my $0.02

Old 12-22-2004, 08:24 AM
did it only add power at the peak? or was it a slight increase across the board? were there dyno charts in the article?

Old 12-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Re: C&L Intake Plenum Test in Latest MM&FF

Originally posted by Struck in AZ
Dynoed at JDM on a truck with full exhaust, 6 lb. lower, filter and chip/tuner.

And the results...drum roll please...peak power increased 8.4 hp and 4 ft.-lbs. of torque! And this stellar gain was acheived with the install of a single blade TB at the same time (hell, my single blade provided me with a gain of 6 hp). I've seen a few posts now that indicate that some of the gains touted may be a bit of a stretch...like, "Dyno testing of this intake on multiple vehicles has shown a typical increase of 12-14 HP and as much as 24 ft/lbs of torque when changing the upper manifold by itself. When used in conjunction with a single blade throttle body, gains of between 19-21 HP and as much as 30 ft/lbs of torque are possible." Seems C&L may be overstating their results a tad... $300 for an intake that seemingly provides no gain and has been shown to have issues with things like the EGR bolt holes not being tapped deeply enough - perfect!
You are the second person to post an approximate 3 HP gain for the plenum itself.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by brain bypass
did it only add power at the peak? or was it a slight increase across the board? were there dyno charts in the article?
Brian,

There looked to be a slight gain across the board and there were dyno charts included.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Very interesting. This was on my mod list for this winter too.. I wonder if any of the vendors will offer a money back guarantee on this and we'll let the dyno do the talking.

-Mark

Old 12-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by got hp
well from my days in Mustangs, C&L has always been overrated in thier HP claims.
I don't believe C&L overrates the HP. I think they report exactly what their test cars dyno, nothing more nothing less. I've personally seen a couple of their test cars dyno and that's what happened. Is it possible other cars dyno different, absolutely. Doesn't mean C&L made their numbers up though.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by 69Roadster
I don't believe C&L overrates the HP. I think they report exactly what their test cars dyno, nothing more nothing less. I've personally seen a couple of their test cars dyno and that's what happened. Is it possible other cars dyno different, absolutely. Doesn't mean C&L made their numbers up though.
I'm not going to argue the above as I wasn't there to see any dyno runs take place, but there are quite a few ways to alter dyno results from one run to the next (engine temperature, ambient temp in the dyno 'room', where you begin and end the pull, you could even air the tires up or down to skew results if you wanted to). It obviously behooves C&L to dyno a vehicle and show a large gain, which they may have legitimately seen (but it may not have been arrived at in the most honest of manners)...if they advertised this on their website as "Gain an easy 4 hp in one hour for only $300" I highly doubt people would be beating a path to their door for these things. It just seems ironic that some of the 'real world' results I have seen have shown a much smaller gain.

Ultimately it's going to be up to each person to decide if the pereformance/dollar ratio is right for them. For me I would rather drop $150 on an Extrude Hone and port matched plenum and end up with essentially the same results and additionally not have the fitment issues that some folks have seen (a stack of washers under the EGR bolts since the holes aren't tapped deep enough isn't exactly what I would call a fabulous fit - although I'm sure C&L has or will make a running production change to cure this little ill).

Old 12-22-2004, 12:14 PM
The test I've seen had the car dyno stock first, then while still strapped to the dyno the new part was installed and immmediately dynoed. No other changes. The only cool down was the time it took to install the part... which matched pretty close to the time the car sat before being put on the dyno.

The Lightning plenum results that C&L quotes were taken from test done at JDM and also by individuals that verified the results. C&L doesn't alter dyno results or do things dishonestly. They just report gains that people, usually people outside C&L, see with their products... to my knowledge anyway.

Old 12-22-2004, 12:34 PM
69',

Cool...certainly not arguing with you. It just strikes me as ironic how people who have a vested interest in selling something always end up with much higher gains when testing a part. Unfortunately I don't have my free dyno access anymore (but I'm working on it), because I would love to test one myself.

Dan

Old 12-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Here is a dyno sheet off that truck which we printed out this morning. We marked a few points on the graph to show where the power is made. This unit picks up power across both the HP and Torque Bands. It flows more CFM than the stock unit, makes visible HP and Torque gains, and is fairly priced.

JimIII@JDM

Old 12-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Struck in AZ
Cool...certainly not arguing with you. It just strikes me as ironic how people who have a vested interest in selling something always end up with much higher gains when testing a part. Unfortunately I don't have my free dyno access anymore (but I'm working on it), because I would love to test one myself.
I hear ya. Who isn't skeptical of vedor's claims? I wasn't trying to argue either. Just felt like I should stand up for someone I thought was honest.

Old 12-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Have you ever seen a dyno chart where a product made less HP than the oem part? Does it happen? YES

Old 12-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Not to start anything but if so many people doubt or are disputing the validity of the findings, and C&L swear up and down the positve findings then why doesnt C&L offer a money back guarantee kind of thing.

If it doesnt give the results on your truck similar to what is on the website then return it for a full refund?

Both parties win. Of course the plenum has to be in brand new shape and be dynoed right away within a week or so.

If i had a product that i really believe it to do what i claimed it did then i would stand behind it.

There are many companies out there that do this.
If a company is making a claim that their product does something and then it doesnt that would be wrong.

And yes every truck is different, but i dont think they are different enough to have that much difference in HP gained/lost with the same product.

Now im no expert by any means in these kind of things.
Flame suit on.

Quick Reply: C&L Intake Plenum Test in Latest MM&FF