Lightning

High flow cats???....nah

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High flow cats???....nah

I hear all of the talk about high flow cats and how much of an improvement they make. The thing is, they are freaking expensive......

What about NO CATS.....??? I know,.... I know.... it is "recommended" by law that you do not remove these, but has anyone done this?? Maybe had a "friend" that did it???

I was thinking about putting on a cat-back and getting rid of the cats. Bad idea??? H-pipe through to an X-pipe ???

And ....could you still refer to it as a cat-back....if there are no cats??

oops... I said refer.

Last edited by shelpdoggSVT; 12-15-2004 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Guess it all depends on how thorough your state inspections are....

Old 12-15-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm in Gainesville FL and wonder the same thing. We don't have emissions testing at all

On my Typhoon pulling the cats was well worth it. Not sure how our trucks run without the backpressure.

Any thoughts from a NON-legal standpoint and strictly from a "these new Vettes are getting quick and Daddy needs the edge" point of view?

Old 12-15-2004, 07:07 PM
80 bucks a pop from troyerperformance.com. that price aint too bad at all

Old 12-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Not sure, but I'm thinking about gutting my high flows when i install my Bassani catback this weekend. I have LFP long tubes also. I heard it sounds great!

Old 12-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gutted my cats and had a tune to turn of the o2 sensors and what not. Sounds great to me, and runs better.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Harley#356
80 bucks a pop from troyerperformance.com. that price aint too bad at all
"Magnaflow 2.50" IN/OUT High Flow Catalytic Converter - Oval" ..is that the one that would fit L's?
I'm looking for a little sound while I work on getting basic mods. I just want some sound till I get my complete JDM exhaust.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Re: High flow cats???....nah

Originally posted by shelpdoggSVT
What about NO CATS.....??? I know,.... I know.... it is "recommended" by law that you do not remove these, but has anyone done this?? Maybe had a "friend" that did it???
I have a set of "enhanced" cat pipes for sale. Let me know if you are interested.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Hey Grimace...you gutted the stock cats right? Are they just clamped on or did you have to weld them back on?

I am prolly going to go ahead with doing it that way if there are no ill effects to the rest of the truck.....(0'2 sensors and the like)

Razors Edge has the double muffler magna flow catback which I am thinking about getting next month. Should be nice and loud with gutted cats and an X pipe!!

Hey hyvltge...what are those pipe you got for sale..... you can email me at thedizogg@hotmail.com for the details if you want.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:25 AM
I have the Magnaflow hi-flow cat pipes with a Magnaflow single muffler cat-back. Sounds very good. Much deeper and louder tone than stock.

I really wouldn't advise no cats with a stock muffler...I heard one truck that had that setup, and it wasn't good. I can't imagine high-flow cats with stock muffler sounds much better either.

Go with a catback first if you are looking for better sound. The high flow cats I think do free up a few HP. The exhaust restriction in our trucks is there, not at the muffler.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:38 AM
Thinking about adding new mufflers to my '04 L. What is the diameter of the stock pipe? 2 1/2?

Old 12-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Shelp I shot you an email. There was a guy on NLOC that went catless with a stock muffler, he had some video posted as well. I thought is sounded decent. .02

Old 12-16-2004, 12:34 PM
thanks for the info guys..... I wouldn't gut the cats until the aftermarket exhaust went on the truck .....

Old 12-16-2004, 01:02 PM
I used a cutoff wheel to open up the side of the cat. I removed the heat shield first, and threw it away because it is one less thing on the truck to rattle. Then cut open the cats and used a big screw driver and hammer to remove the honeycomb material. Then welded the sides back on and reinstalled the midpipe assembly.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:52 PM
me no cats

im running a 2000 white L. with a magnaflow mufler i buy from summit racing and no cats, believe me sounds loud very loud buti like it, here in Puerto Rico the law pursuit you but take the chance with good luck, from now.
The performance issue i can really explain no big difirence out of thr hole but after 60 mph i feel the truck faster. I think i loss i litlle
bit of torque but the motor free horsepower at high rpms.
Thats my opinion and i m not an expert.
im running for 4 months with no cats.
Good luck man
thanks

Quick Reply: High flow cats???....nah