Lightning

"well It Finally Happen Rods Thru Block

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Fast Gator
Waiting for Mat to chime in with his motor experience.
That is, his "bargain motor" experience
Exactly. I will also add "the bargain motor experience" that has left me out A LOT of money with no Email response, instant message response or returned phone calls from Tommy. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! I was at JDM today when you ordered your motor, you made a wise decision and will be happy! I am back where I never should have left and am loving every minute of it. ALL BUILT LIGHTNING MOTORS ARE NOT EQUAL. -Mat-

Last edited by SVT F15O; 12-01-2004 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Sorry to hear about it. Good luck with the rebuild.

Old 12-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Sorry man, but I am on Tim Skeltons side. Detonation is the cause of most blown up Lightning motors. Something has to give when the piston is trying to go two directions at the same time!
Hate to see that happen. Skip

Old 12-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Blown Motor

Don't know what to say to anyone that blows their motor. I have not blown my motor yet. Guess I'm just lucky.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:19 PM
The question that is still out there from what I can tell is:

What RPM does your program command the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts???

Joel....

Last edited by JoeLightning; 12-01-2004 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Don's Bolt
Sometimes you get what you pay for. All I can say is I know the guy that Jim sends his motors to for the machine work. This guy knows his stuff, and has a proven track record with these modular motors.
Can u tell me the differance between theirs and others reputable builders?I wond up going with a JLP motor,bought the bottom end ,heads,cams and did the install myself.I wound up being dissapointed with JLP too due to their pricing.I later found out i got taken fo a ride on the cams.I think the rides should stop for us customers and for these vendors to see that we are what pays their bills and be fair.Im a business owner and i pride myself in taking care of my customers.I never take anyone for a ride.Were talking decent money not just change for the basically same product.My only regret in my motor experiance is that i did not do the bulid myself.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by chimshady1
Sorry to hear that,mine went with about the same milage but due to too much nitrous. Now i got a built motor with all the goodies.Im not sure i would choose J.D.M. only because of their high price,not being a hater or anything i just cant see paying more for the same thing when it can be had less.My .02
Yea, but didn't you pay double for heads or cams or something?

Old 12-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the Blown Motor Club. AKA the bank account thrasher. lol Sorry to hear you blew you motor, but at least you are taking the right step forward. I blew mine and took it to James at Race Related in Clearwater FL. He was giving me a great deal and I was happy. 9 months later and him telling me countless lies about how he had started breaking in the engine I dropped in on him and my truck didn't even have a motor in it. Then when I got it back it didn't have a drop of oil in it. When I put oil in it it smoked like a freight train. After getting a lawyer to draft a letter he finally agreed to do something. So I had had enough and when he sent the short block back I had it disassembled and check then reassembeled by Dave, I had him do the same with the heads. My truck was down for a little over a year and a half. I know Jim will not do that to you. Congrats on your new engine and making the right choice. Not that I think Jim is the only guy who can build engines, but he does have the most daily driven 10 second Ls on the road. Had I had this whole mess to do over again I would have begged Arthur Todd some more that night and if he still said no I would have headed for JDM.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by fastfordf150
Yea, but didn't you pay double for heads or cams or something?
Yes i did and thats why i posted i was not happy with JLP either.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:49 AM
Re: Re: Re: I beg to differ!

Originally posted by Tim Skelton
It's not the boost or the "power level," it's the RPMs. The Cobra turns 1,000 RPMs more.

The stress on the rods is greatest at TDC when they are being asked to change directions and come back down. Way more stress than the kick in the butt from the downward force of a controlled burn.

I agree with Stan's analysis, and will add -- the stock rods are good for TWICE the boost that comes stock! That's pretty damn good in my book. You can run 16 PSIG of boost all day long -- if the tune is right.
The stock rods are NOT weak -- they are just the weakest link in the chain. Be conservative with the tune and all should be fine.[/i]"
Tim:

I previously addressed RPM. I do not for one minute believe that 6200 RPM on the Cobra motors is why Ford put H-Beam rods in them. I do believe however that they realized that their "L" motors are marginal in the longevity department. Yes, I believe detonation is the major cause of motor blowing. But I can also tell you that it does not makse sense to justify using a rod that can withstand 1500+ horsepower just because the motor spins an extra grand. Like I said in my previous post, I have been doing this (racing/building motors) as a hobby since the early 80's. I have seen way too many stock rod (I'm talking factory junk rods, not some factory HP or heavy duty offering) motors spun to 6500-7000 RPM every day and not break, making 400-500 horsepower. And I am pretty sure they were not detonating.

I do agree with the others that Ford is partly to blame for a no-margin build on their 5.4L motors. If these motors used better rods, we would see beaten rod and main bearings, chipped pistons and blown head gaskets everywhere before rods letting go. Trust me, I have seen this in the past.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
[B]I bet if we looked at a master list of total L Blown Motors,
MORE of them were stock that blew up.
I'd also guess MAYBE 1% (if that) blew up racing. Prob 90% will tell you they were crusing at highway speed, no warning, AND BOOM
Rob

What examples of blown non Modded stock motors do you have ?

One step further - How many motors running 4 pounds of additional boost or less with a safe tune have blown up ?

The answer to both questions is very very very few. Compared to the ones that blew with 6+ pounds of boost and wild tunes the difference is astounding

Doug

Old 12-02-2004, 01:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: I beg to differ!

Originally posted by Blown347Hatch
. . . I do not for one minute believe that 6200 RPM on the Cobra motors is why Ford put H-Beam rods in them. I do believe however that they realized that their "L" motors are marginal in the longevity department. . .
I don't have the answer to the Cobra question. I was just speculating. I should not have made such a strong statement.

Originally posted by Blown347Hatch
. . . If these motors used better rods, we would see beaten rod and main bearings, chipped pistons and blown head gaskets everywhere before rods letting go. . . .
That's a great point, but which way does it cut? Other than the head gaskets, the other failures listed are just about as bad as rods. And people who grenade their engines would then be grousing about the "weak pistons," "weak bearings," etc.

Other than the stupid early head design, I think that the 5.4 is a spectacularly good engine. And so does Ward's, the world authority on engines. The 5.4 has been named one of the ten best engines in the world every year since it was introduced.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:40 AM
Rob:

What all is involved in having someone go in and check the rod bolts? Can it be done with the engine in the frame?

Old 12-02-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_!
Rob

What examples of blown non Modded stock motors do you have ?

One step further - How many motors running 4 pounds of additional boost or less with a safe tune have blown up ?. . .
One step even further -- how many non-chipped motors? With or without a pulley - 2lb, 4 lb, 6 lb, whatever.

I'd love to see a poll on this one. That would be the argument ender.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:53 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I beg to differ!

Originally posted by Tim Skelton

That's a great point, but which way does it cut? Other than the head gaskets, the other failures listed are just about as bad as rods. And people who grenade their engines would then be grousing about the "weak pistons," "weak bearings," etc.

Other than the stupid early head design, I think that the 5.4 is a spectacularly good engine. And so does Ward's, the world authority on engines. The 5.4 has been named one of the ten best engines in the world every year since it was introduced.
The beaten bearings, chipped pistons, blown head gaskets all would be the results of "severe" detonation. It seems like in these trucks, they tolerate very little detonation and very short periods of tolerace before the rods let go. I would rather the motor be tough enough to perhaps let the head gaskets act as a "fuse" (if you would) rather than the rods just kicking out the side at a moments notice (or less).

Quick Reply: "well It Finally Happen Rods Thru Block