Lightning

Pulled the blower and..

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled the blower and..

Well i pulled the blower off, in preparation to send it to apten tomorrow and i was happy to see that my rotors are in perfect shape after 57,000 miles with no pcv fix. I've had a 4lb on the truck since 15,000 miles also. Anyhow, my intercooler looks like sludge so i will be installing the seperator i have had sitting around when i reinstall. My next Q is, whats the torque rating for the bolts on the intercooler? i havent pulled that out yet and i wanted to make sure i got it back in right, also wanted to know how messy it'll be if i drain a gallon out of the heat exhanger, i dont want it going all over the garage floor. Well thanks, if anybody could help me with the torque rating for those 4 bolts that'd be great.

Old 09-06-2004, 04:30 PM
I just had an apten ported blower put on my truck yesterday, my intercooler was covered in oil also, I didn`t remove it from the truck to clean it, I used 2 cans of carb cleaner to clean the intercooler, I don`t know what the torque specs are for the intercooler, but for the blower its 33 ft lbs. as for draining the intercooler, it only holds a little over a gallon so its not real messy to do, I flushed my intercooler out and filled it with a bottle of water wetter and distilled water.

Old 09-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Derek94,

I just pulled mine Friday. Just put a large catch pan under the drain valve and loosen. Drain it and you can disconnect the supply and return tube running to the back of the intercooler. Once you have them removed, leave the intercooler attached to the upper intake. No need to seperate them.

Used 4 cans of brake cleaner and a final spray of engine degreaser. Rinsed it and looks new. Let it dry and reinstalled. At that point depending on the year of your truck. You may want to replace the factory spring clamps. Over time they loose their retention.

I wen't with worm clamps on a customers truck. He plans on keeping it for a long time. Do a search on the toque spec's and proceedure. Someone has already posted it here and should be available. Make sure you don't damage the cooling fins when you are cleaning. If you do, make sure to straighten them out.

Now is also good time to change plugs and or check them to make sure they are tight. Good luck.

Last edited by Thor01; 09-06-2004 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:50 PM
well i was just taking out that intake is all and the intercooler is attached to that, i wasnt going to unscrew it from the intake. Anyhow, i just wanted to know the specs for those 4 in the rear, i would assume its the 33 or 53 ftlbs, i'll have to check it out. Thanks for the help, everybody gettin good gains with thier aptens? Anybody used the special yet?

Old 09-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by speeder I just had an apten ported blower put on my truck yesterday, my intercooler was covered in oil also, I didn`t remove it from the truck to clean it, I used 2 cans of carb cleaner to clean the intercooler,

Good luck running your truck with all that oily sludge in your intake valley. I hope it doesn't cause you major problems.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:16 PM
The intercooler wasn`t that bad, the way I cleaned it won`t cause me any problems, if it would have been really bad then I would have removed it for cleaning.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Banned
Mine was pretty clean with only 3800 miles on it and oil seperator installed at about 1200 miles. There was no sludge, just a little light brown color to it. I'm getting my port job done on the Apten special. It went out Sat morning.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Derek94

everybody gettin good gains with thier aptens? Anybody used the special yet?
Before and after the Apten port job. I got mine done in the F150online group purchase

Quick Reply: Pulled the blower and..