Lightning
View Poll Results: Would you buy a centrifugal system for $4K?
Yes
39.66%
No
60.34%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Who would buy a centrifugal system for $4K?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Don's Bolt
Sal what about getting rid of the Pro Chargers air to air intercooler, and just using the stock Lightning intercooler??

What would that do for intake temps, and price reduction of the kit??

I know it would be a lot less complicated kit, and should make it price competative with some other systems.
In my opinion Don, that's a waste of time. The best part of it is the air to air intercooling.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air to air is the best way to go for the street. Mine will be air to air intercooled next year.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:06 PM
we'll be testing the stock intercooler for temps before i spend the money on a air to air.

easter: my lower pulley will be closer to the crank by about 1/2 "

Old 03-31-2004, 03:09 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who would buy a centrifugal system for $4K?

Originally posted by camcojb

EVERY ATI kit I put on has a separate bracket to control the blower plate flex. They are not part of any of their kits for an unknown reason. It can be quite simple, such as a 3/8" round steel rod from the main plate near the blower to a spare hole in the head or intake or ? It makes a big difference and I've never had a problem after doing this. Here's a pic to give an idea on a friends car.
The novi 2000 kit for the ford already has a 1/2 inch thick plate where the blower mounts and which is bolted to another 1/2 inch plate which bolts into the side of the left head. I think the only way for the think to flex on mine are maybe the 7/8ths inch spacers. But I'd think the grade 8 bolts would have to bend for that to happen. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by RDY2RAC
we'll be testing the stock intercooler for temps before i spend the money on a air to air. . . .
Agreed. ATI's tests confirmed that the stock Ford intercooler was plenty capable. Otherwise, they would not have offered the system. You may want to supplement it with air-to-air, but it makes no sense at all to do a substitution.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by superfords
excuse me?

. . .

sheesh man, lighten up.

I was just giving my OPINION. there was NOTHING "inappropriate" about it.

. . .
Sorry for being so harsh, Chris. I do respect you (and think that you have the nicest L engine I have ever seen -- or probably ever will see).

The operative complaint I made, though, was "Why the hell couldn't you honor my simple request and take this blah blah blah to another thread? Jesus H Christ"

Yeah, it's not my board. But it was my request. You were perfectly free to ignore it. I am perfectly free to express my disgust at your ignoring that request. I had hoped for more courtesy from my Lightning bretheren.

Old 03-31-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Agreed. ATI's tests confirmed that the stock Ford intercooler was plenty capable. Otherwise, they would not have offered the system. You may want to supplement it with air-to-air, but it makes no sense at all to do a substitution.
Air-to-air is more efficient and reliable. In an air-water system the water is acting as an insulator, because the heat transfer is:
charged air-aluminum-water-aluminum-ambient air

In an air-air system the heat transfer is:
charger air-aluminum-ambient air

Its more reliable because there's less parts to break, plus if you have a leak, you only have either some metered air at boost that doesn't make it to combustion or a little unmetered air at idle.
If you have a leak in an air-water system you get water in your intake or air in you water pump... either way this isn't good.

Old 03-31-2004, 05:12 PM
I would buy one.

Old 03-31-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Sublime
Air-to-air is more efficient and reliable. . . .
Please do not misunderstand, I completely agree that air-to-air is superior in every objective criteria (Ford used air-to-water only because of roots-related packaging concerns). The one exception is the ability to use ice at a drag race.

But the air-to-water intercooler that we have stock is one of the best ever made -- excellent effectiveness, minimal boost loss. So, while there may be some marginal benefits to switching to an air-to-air, it does not make sense to do that in our case. ATI, the biggest proponent of air-to-air in the world, also implicitly agrees, as the base kit uses only the stock SVT intercooler. Even the hi-po kit keeps the SVT intercooler -- it just adds an air-to-air.

Old 03-31-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Please do not misunderstand, I completely agree that air-to-air is superior in every objective criteria (Ford used air-to-water only because of roots-related packaging concerns). The one exception is the ability to use ice at a drag race.

But the air-to-water intercooler that we have stock is one of the best ever made -- excellent effectiveness, minimal boost loss. So, while there may be some marginal benefits to switching to an air-to-air, it does not make sense to do that in our case. ATI, the biggest proponent of air-to-air in the world, also implicitly agrees, as the base kit uses only the stock SVT intercooler. Even the hi-po kit keeps the SVT intercooler -- it just adds an air-to-air.
True... I was more commenting on the "there's no reason at all to replace it".
I like the idea of being able to suppliment it with an air-air. Setting up an A/C chilling system would be real cheap if you knew the air going to the air-water ic was pre cooled by an air-air system.
To save more money from the kit why not gut the eaton and replace the snout with a plate. Then the kit would consist of a head unit, a plate to replace the snout, and some tubes and rubber connectors. The kit would/should be sub $3000 then.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Sublime
...In an air-air system the heat transfer is:
charger air-aluminum-ambient air...
And you musn't forget an air-to-air intercooler in the winter covered with snow.

Talk about cooling the air down.

My GTI has never had so much power .... now if only I can find that picture.

Old 03-31-2004, 08:04 PM
Tim...ever try to herd cats?

Obviously this subject is still so controversial that coherent action is hopeless.

Anyway, when in Rome, do as the Romans:

1) water to air removes intake heat faster, but also dissipates it from the total system slower; this is partially because the heat exchanger is much smaller. This is fine for street systems that are not under boost very often.

2) A roots blower has better throttle response than a csc. It also makes a lousy compressor.

3) This kit is obviously aimed at serious racers with built blocks. 4K is a little steep just to putt around with increased efficiency.

4) To get the same torque output from the csc at low rpms, it would have to be overdriven. This would subject the engine to extremely high boost at higher rpms.

5) This is not a question of efficiency; the csc wins easily. However, the boost curve of the roots is pretty much dead on with respect to expectations of American drivers, it's cheaper, and it's already on the L.

Old 03-31-2004, 08:59 PM
No.

Old 03-31-2004, 09:10 PM
No

PS: is everyone going to Jerry's SCT School of Charm?

Old 04-05-2004, 06:00 PM
The last thing i would do is spend $4k on that style blower.The only way i would put that kind of blower on a truck is if it was actually less $$ not more.I have driven plenty enough cent. blowers to know they do not have the drivabilty of a roots style blower.MOST of the power is up high.This makes not much sense on a street truck only a overrevved drag truck.Where most of us on here love our trucks for the power AND throttle respose,i see why 65% have said NO . And out of those 35% who did say yes, Im sure from past experience MAYBE 10% of the people in favor of it would actually even buy one.Alot of people say yes until you ask for them to shell out the $$ ,ESPECIALLY $4k.......So i would not say its a good idea to invest alot of $$ to get this project going.Sounds like a big $$ loser.

Quick Reply: Who would buy a centrifugal system for $4K?