Lightning
View Poll Results: Would you buy a centrifugal system for $4K?
Yes
39.66%
No
60.34%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Who would buy a centrifugal system for $4K?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RDY2RAC
if you can get a upper intake made for less than $500 more power to ya.

their is way more involved than just slapping on the bracket and bolting the blower up. stuff needs to be relocated and different lower pulleys unless you shim out the blower bracket but you weaken the bracket and it will flex.

sorry tim i know you wanted simple yes and no on this thread.
Piece of cake to strap a novi or YS trim on a L. Is no different then anything else and if reworking hose's and wires is a difficult thing then that person shouldn't be working on cars or trucks anyway. Most of those companys make brackets for F150's already anyway.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:12 PM
Who would buy a centrifugal system for $4K?

Poll for Tim..

Old 03-31-2004, 01:16 PM
*phew*

I didn't know if the poll merge was gonna work or not.. lol

Old 03-31-2004, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by superfords
. . . BUT in my experience you have to rev the **** out of a centrifigal blower to make the power. the curve follows the RPM, you don't make power until you've got the RPMs.

Our trucks don't do High RPMs. our transmissions won't handle high RPM shifts, and we weigh nearly 5000lbs! with a driver and a tank of gas. we need the torque that eaton or twin screw blowers provide.

just my .02

maybe I'm wrong.. .
Not only is your response inappropriate, it is in fact wrong. While the shape of the boost curve of a cent is different, there is SO MUCH MORE GD POWER at any point on the curve that it will smoke a roots.

Plus, just think about the logic underlying your answer. A cent could be pullied to make 50 PSIG on a 1,500 RPM engine. Yes, a centrifugal makes its power more at the upper end -- but that upper end can be any RPM.

Why the hell couldn't you honor my simple request and take this blah blah blah to another thread? Jesus H Christ.

p.s. - torque is a static measure. Horsepower, a dynamic measure, is ALWAYS what takes a vehicle down the road.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:24 PM
Re: Who would buy a centrifugal system for $4K?

Originally posted by clonetek
Poll for Tim..
Thanks, Clone, but, thanks to either a lack of reading comprehension, complete disregard for a simple request from a contributing member, a desire to advance a commercial agenda, or the overriding need to justify one's prior purchasing decisions, this thread is already useless.

All that ATI can conclude from this thread is that we an an impossibly unruly community who don't have the sophistication to appreciate their products.

I'm embarassed that I forwarded a link to this thread to my friends at ATI.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:33 PM
Re: Re: Who would buy a centrifugal system for $4K?

Originally posted by Tim Skelton
thanks to...the overriding need to justify one's prior purchasing decisions, this thread is already useless.

All that ATI can conclude from this thread is that we an an impossibly unruly community who don't have the sophistication to appreciate their products.

Exactly. The fewer people that have centrifugals the better.

BTW, exactly how weak is my Novi 2000 setup? It is set in 7/8ths inch with spacers and the pulley offset is 0.5 inches. It has a 3" upper pulley and a 9" lower pulley(uses the same pulley offset as a normal Lightning.)

Old 03-31-2004, 01:42 PM
I would if the results of the test trucks go past the results of the kenne bells. My truck is a street racing truck only so it would be redlight racing not strip.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:58 PM
Re: Re: Re: Who would buy a centrifugal system for $4K?

Originally posted by easterisland
Exactly. The fewer people that have centrifugals the better.

BTW, exactly how weak is my Novi 2000 setup? It is set in 7/8ths inch with spacers and the pulley offset is 0.5 inches. It has a 3" upper pulley and a 9" lower pulley(uses the same pulley offset as a normal Lightning.)

let me know if you notice any flex. we might not see the rpm's as most mustang's. i made a custom hub for the metco rings so i can change pullies anytime.

as far as this being useless thread i dont think so. it gets the concerns out there.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:07 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who would buy a centrifugal system for $4K?

. . . as far as this being useless thread i dont think so. it gets the concerns out there.
True, but the purpose of this thread was clear:

"Please confine the posts in this thread to answering this question only. Any questions, comments, etc should be asked in a separate thread. I want the good folks at ATI to be able to see concise responses, not a lot of blah blah blah. Thanks."

Would it have been that $^%^$ hard to have honored that simple request? Especially when a I posted another thread at tghe same time where these comments would have been appropriate.

I feel the moderators' pain.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there are to many conceived ideas about what the ati will or wont do for a lightning.
what needs to happen is for them to have on of the tuners do a truck for them to see wht are realistic gains. so rather ati take a pole on a website, they soud probably find a will person to test.

ati hase rescently done this with laroccas on a new cobra and the performance numbers were outstanding.
with just running the ati thru the stock water/air intercooler, 50 lb injectors and 19 psi on 93 octane in made 640 rwhp(plus a dyno tune). at this point it maxed out the fuel system and they couldbt go any further. on a 14 psi system compared to the stock blower at 14 psi it made approx 100 more hp. )i am estimating numbers as i dont have the article in front of me) i believe they are making this kit to be sold. so at 19 psi there was no need for another intercooler so 4k might be a good number. nice thig about the cobra kit is that the throttle bidy stayed in the stock location so no issues with linkage.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Not only is your response inappropriate, it is in fact wrong.
excuse me?

this is a public forum, if you don't like replies, maybe you should start your own board.

you can name it WWW.ANSWERONLYTHEWAYITELLYOUTO.COM

sheesh man, lighten up.

I was just giving my OPINION. there was NOTHING "inappropriate" about it.

BTW if you hadn't edited my quote, you'd see that in addition to giving my two cents, I answered your question in the form that you requested TWICE!

what is this JEOPARDY or something?

tell you what. screw it, you get ati to build your 4K kit and I'll come race you with my crappy eaton and we'll see who wins, then you'll know if it was worth $4000

like I said before, it sounds like a good idea, one that I would be interested in purchasing, IF the performance improvements were better than what is attainable though our current options, and thus justified the higher price.

you can't ask the value of something without giving some estimate of it's performance. the gains would determine the VALUE of the 4K price tag.

would it be a worthwhile purchase if it makes an additional 100HP at 5500rpms and above? NO. would it be a worthwhile purchase if it loses 100ft/lbs from idle to 5800? NO!

that was my only question? what are the presumed gains of making this switch?

good day sir.

sincerely,
chris haynie

Last edited by superfords; 03-31-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:15 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who would buy a centrifugal system for $4K?

let me know if you notice any flex. we might not see the rpm's as most mustang's. i made a custom hub for the metco rings so i can change pullies anytime.

So, is it better to have a crank pulley sticking way out or a blower to be set in? People were worried about bearing wear with the uncaged stock offset lower pulley.

What are the signs that a blower would be flexing too much? Shredded belts? I would guess that it wouldn't have too much to do with high motor rpm. It would probably have more to do with high blower rpm. I plan on spinning my Novi 2000 58,410 rpms at 5500 rpm with a 3" upper and a 9" lower.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by superfords
that was my only question? what are the presumed gains of making this switch?

The d1sc should run cooler than other centrifugals which use the engine oil as lubrication.
The d1sc definately wins out in the who can make the most PSI w/o going out of warranty. (Kenne Bell is warranty limited to 14000 rpms)
The d1sc sounds pretty cool.
Take a car equiped with a KB and another with an air to air intercooled d1sc side by side on the freeway at 65 mph. Who wins the high speed battle? Of course the d1sc equiped truck.
I was also hoping that the knock sensors may not be affected in a centrifugal equiped truck. That right there is an enormous advantage.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:47 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who would buy a centrifugal system for $4K?

Originally posted by easterisland
So, is it better to have a crank pulley sticking way out or a blower to be set in? People were worried about bearing wear with the uncaged stock offset lower pulley.

What are the signs that a blower would be flexing too much? Shredded belts? I would guess that it wouldn't have too much to do with high motor rpm. It would probably have more to do with high blower rpm. I plan on spinning my Novi 2000 58,410 rpms at 5500 rpm with a 3" upper and a 9" lower.
If the blower bracket flexes (which is quite common) then they usually will
A: Lose boost due to belt slippage
B: Lose the belt, having it walk off the pulley

EVERY ATI kit I put on has a separate bracket to control the blower plate flex. They are not part of any of their kits for an unknown reason. It can be quite simple, such as a 3/8" round steel rod from the main plate near the blower to a spare hole in the head or intake or ? It makes a big difference and I've never had a problem after doing this. Here's a pic to give an idea on a friends car:

Jody

Old 03-31-2004, 02:50 PM
Sal what about getting rid of the Pro Chargers air to air intercooler, and just using the stock Lightning intercooler??

What would that do for intake temps, and price reduction of the kit??

I know it would be a lot less complicated kit, and should make it price competative with some other systems.

Quick Reply: Who would buy a centrifugal system for $4K?