Lightning

Just ran with an SRT10!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Toe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just keep in mind it won't take long till people figure out how to drive the SRT-10 and are putting down high to mid 12 second 1/4 miles in stock form,

When the aftermarket goodies come out, and it won't take long for them to do so, even the modded L's will have some good competition. a 10 or 9 second Srt-10 ram is not that far out of reach.

Tony

Old 01-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Toe
Just keep in mind it won't take long till people figure out how to drive the SRT-10 and are putting down high to mid 12 second 1/4 miles in stock form,

When the aftermarket goodies come out, and it won't take long for them to do so, even the modded L's will have some good competition. a 10 or 9 second Srt-10 ram is not that far out of reach.

Tony
OK first, I don't want to start an argument, BUT....

I have not seen a single 12 second run in an srt-10 truck.
I have seen the one that motor trend did that was 13.1 or 13.01, and I'm skeptical if it was completely stock, or massaged a little, but then again a '03 bone stock lightning just ran a 13.1, so their are freaks.

lastly, you may need a little more power in the srt-10 than a viper to get to 10 seconds, you are driving a brick wall that weighs in over 5000lbs, as compared to a viper.

A 9-10 second SRT-10 is quite possible, unfortunately, it will cost a small fortune. how much does a twin turbo setup cost on a viper? exactly my point....

Old 01-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Toe
I am aware there are no timed numbers on a srt-10 doing 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile yet, but these things have only been out on the road for about 3 weeks now. Wait till the summer.

Remember when the L came out, all the reviewers were saying it was doing the 1/4 mile in 14.6, when people figured out how to get it to hook up they would get 13.9-13.8 out of it. Could it not be possible the same thing is true to something other then the L?

Since the Srt-10 is a manual, it takes a little more skill to launch well then an automatic. Because it is a manual, it is a perfect candidate for some racing slicks. It seems the srt-10's big problem is getting out of the hole, if you could launch the thing at 3000rpms or more and not spin, your 60' times would be waaaay down. Keep in mind the srt-10 mph at the end of the 1/4mile is upwards of 108-109mph, and thats with some spin off the line.

I am not trying to say the L is a bad truck, its an awsome truck, that is a steel of a deal, but the srt-10 for its 15K more has so much more potential in the 1/4mile not to mention the thing out handles porche's on the road course. The new gen L is gonna be around 40K, it will be heavier then the srt-10, and will be rated around the same HP, unless ford underrates the new L like the current one is. I wouldn't expect the new L to be tons faster then the current, and you will need to pay almost as much as the srt-10 to get it.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:07 PM
FYI

Only one slick that I have found is avail in 17 inch rim to fit over the big calipers

Old 01-23-2004, 06:32 PM
'01's wife here.

Toe......... buddy............ please............ put down the pipe !!!!

I like the SRT-10 Ram as much as the next person, and think it is a nice truck.............. however, lets take a small look at reality here............ shall we???

The SRT-10 Ram weighs 5150lbs. The current Lightning weighs 480lbs less. The Ram puts about 430hp to the rear wheels, the L puts 350-360. The Ram puts about 470lb ft of torque to the rear wheels, the L puts 410-420lb ft.

In the 1/4 mile, off the line is everything. While the Ram may have an advantage on the big end (doubtful seeing as how a Lightning has hung with one to 125), it certainly does not have one off the line. If anything, it is at a disadvantage off the line due to the 22's and manual trans.

The only recorded time by a private individual is 13.5 at 106mph in perfect conditions. The fastest recorded time by anyone is a 13.19 at 107mph. The average time by the mags is 13.6-13.9 (sounds kinda like the L, doesn't it???). While I would guess that a fantastic run by a professional driver "may" yield a very high 12 (like a 12.95 or so), I seriously doubt you will see any less stock.

You have to remember that a Viper runs a best of 11.7 stock. This is a 3400lb car. Add 1750lbs, and the aerodynamics of a brick, and there is NO WAY IN HELL the truck is going to run a 12.5 stock.

I can understand you liking the Ram and all, but it sounds like you have been spending a little too much time on the "I am 17 and have a HEMI Ram that my parents bought me, I know everything about everything, and I know that all SRT vehicles beat anything ever built by anyone else SRTforums.com."

Currently it looks like the Ram is about .2 faster than the L. It is also $13K more. Please show me where it outhandles a Porsche. Also, you might look at a recent test that got a flaming .81G's out of one. Even the L pulls .88G's and a 61.7 in the slalom.

If you like the Ram more, that is certainly your perogative. However, please stop spreading the pie in the sky predictions about it. I know my L handles good, however I am not stupid enough to think that it will terrorize Porsches on the road course.

BTW, the next L is rumored to be $35-40K. MSRP on the Ram, with no options, is $45,750. This is $5750-10,750 worth of difference still. That will buy you a ****load of mods on the L........... or a pair of headers for the Viper V10 (please do yourself a favor and price mods for the Viper engine).

Again, you have your right to like what you like............ however, please do not come in our house and talk blatant stupidity like it is the absolute truth............ to try to prove your point. All you sound like is a Ford basher and Dodge hugger. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with liking either trucks, lets just try to keep it real.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Toe
I am aware there are no timed numbers on a srt-10 doing 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile yet, but these things have only been out on the road for about 3 weeks now. Wait till the summer.

Remember when the L came out, all the reviewers were saying it was doing the 1/4 mile in 14.6, when people figured out how to get it to hook up they would get 13.9-13.8 out of it. Could it not be possible the same thing is true to something other then the L?

Since the Srt-10 is a manual, it takes a little more skill to launch well then an automatic. Because it is a manual, it is a perfect candidate for some racing slicks. It seems the srt-10's big problem is getting out of the hole, if you could launch the thing at 3000rpms or more and not spin, your 60' times would be waaaay down. Keep in mind the srt-10 mph at the end of the 1/4mile is upwards of 108-109mph, and thats with some spin off the line.

I am not trying to say the L is a bad truck, its an awsome truck, that is a steel of a deal, but the srt-10 for its 15K more has so much more potential in the 1/4mile not to mention the thing out handles porche's on the road course. The new gen L is gonna be around 40K, it will be heavier then the srt-10, and will be rated around the same HP, unless ford underrates the new L like the current one is. I wouldn't expect the new L to be tons faster then the current, and you will need to pay almost as much as the srt-10 to get it.
Very good points!!!

Old 01-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by '01ArrestMeRed
'01's wife here.

I like the SRT-10 Ram as much as the next person, and think it is a nice truck.............. however, lets take a small look at reality here............ shall we???

The SRT-10 Ram weighs 5150lbs. The current Lightning weighs 480lbs less. The Ram puts about 430hp to the rear wheels, the L puts 350-360. The Ram puts about 470lb ft of torque to the rear wheels, the L puts 410-420lb ft.

In the 1/4 mile, off the line is everything. While the Ram may have an advantage on the big end (doubtful seeing as how a Lightning has hung with one to 125), it certainly does not have one off the line. If anything, it is at a disadvantage off the line due to the 22's and manual trans.

The only recorded time by a private individual is 13.5 at 106mph in perfect conditions. The fastest recorded time by anyone is a 13.19 at 107mph. The average time by the mags is 13.6-13.9 (sounds kinda like the L, doesn't it???). While I would guess that a fantastic run by a professional driver "may" yield a very high 12 (like a 12.95 or so), I seriously doubt you will see any less stock.

You have to remember that a Viper runs a best of 11.7 stock. This is a 3400lb car. Add 1750lbs, and the aerodynamics of a brick, and there is NO WAY IN HELL the truck is going to run a 12.5 stock.

I can understand you liking the Ram and all, but it sounds like you have been spending a little too much time on the "I am 17 and have a HEMI Ram that my parents bought me, I know everything about everything, and I know that all SRT vehicles beat anything ever built by anyone else SRTforums.com."

Currently it looks like the Ram is about .2 faster than the L. It is also $13K more. Please show me where it outhandles a Porsche. Also, you might look at a recent test that got a flaming .81G's out of one. Even the L pulls .88G's and a 61.7 in the slalom.

If you like the Ram more, that is certainly your perogative. However, please stop spreading the pie in the sky predictions about it. I know my L handles good, however I am not stupid enough to think that it will terrorize Porsches on the road course.

BTW, the next L is rumored to be $35-40K. MSRP on the Ram, with no options, is $45,750. This is $5750-10,750 worth of difference still. That will buy you a ****load of mods on the L........... or a pair of headers for the Viper V10 (please do yourself a favor and price mods for the Viper engine).

Again, you have your right to like what you like............ however, please do not come in our house and talk blatant stupidity like it is the absolute truth............ to try to prove your point. All you sound like is a Ford basher and Dodge hugger. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with liking either trucks, lets just try to keep it real.
Just remember two things though:

1) The mags said the L was around 14.6 stock, but it is faster than that. Could be the same with the SRT

2) The SRT CERTAINLY has the MPH to obtain a 12 sec run stock. It would be extremely driver dependent though.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Supposedly the PVO team had an SRT-10 up at Speedworld here in AZ last Wed night .. Heres the quote from them..

From Stephan Zweidler (SRT-4 Dev't Engineer)

WOW... that was a slick track.. Very hard to put power down there tonight... It rained last night and sprinkled during the day... No rain this evening though.

Here is how I faired:

RAM SRT-10
Best 60ft - 2.173
Best 1/4 mile - 13.625@104.148mph

See you guys at the SRT Nats....
Stephan
I guess they also had a 'lightweight' (weights 500lbs less than stock) SRT4 up there that was running low 13s.

Place is like 10 min from my house, wish I had known in advance. I havent seen a lot of mph out of these trucks in the few 'real world' runs Ive heard about... leads me to believe there isnt much more to them than a low 13... time will tell I guess, they will be monsters once the modding starts Im sure.

To the guys thinking the next Gen Lightning wont be much faster than the Gen 2's... keep dreaming, no way SVT is going to be happy with 2nd place in the 'truck wars'.

Last edited by KCinAZ; 01-23-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:56 PM
I give both of the trucks credit. They are both modable. I wouldnt say that my beef is with the SRT-10, it is with all of the magazines saying that it would smoke a lightning and that the L's are only a memory compared to the "viper truck". The truckin article was the worst.

Old 01-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Does anyone remember how long it took the first Lightning to get into the 12's after they came out in 99? I'm sure it wasnt the next week...

It will be the same way for these trucks, however there are already performance mods made for the viper powerplant. If it does run 13.5's, it won't for long.

Lightnings stock run 13.5's also, but how long do they run that before you order up the standard 12 second performance package?

I am anxious to see the competition and see what the owners can do with these trucks. Personally I like them, a little out of my price range though.

Jon

Old 01-23-2004, 08:28 PM
I want to see a twin turbo setup off a viper put on the SRT-10.

again though, you could have 1000rwhp, but fitting a slick over those giant back calipers is going to be tough, EVEN IF you replace the back calipers with a lower profile one, My UNEDUCATED guess is that you won't be able to fit a 16" rim on there.

Heck I'm not sure a 17" rim will fit on there.

regardless the HP, you need to be able to hook up off the line, the easiest way is a traction bar and SLICKS. That my friend is one of the shortcommings of the SRT-10. Finding slicks to fit that beast.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by '01ArrestMeRed
'01's wife here.

You are the one who needs to keep it real and pull the needle out of your arm.I dont think 3 weeks is a fair enough time frame to see what these trucks are running stock yet Bring it down to cecil and put a driver behind the wheel and youll get your 12 second slip.Dont tell me some lightnings with 380hp can run low 13s and a 500 hp regardless of a little wieght issue cannot run high 12s.Specially with a 109 trap.thats a 12 second run in anything.I am a die hard lightning fan but thats reality.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Lightningquick, reading comprehension isn't a strong point for ya.......... huh???

If you will look at my post again, and actually read it, you will see that I said it should run a high 12 stock. What I was argueing with was the brainiac who thought it would run a 12.5 stock. Thus, you are argueing the exact same thing I said.

BTW, the current time by an actual owner was at sea level, at around 53 degrees with good track prep. He ran a 13.5 at 106. Please show me all of the 109 trap speeds, because I sure haven't seen them.

PS. Concentrating on hp only with a truck is not the smartest thing to do. It is torque that moves mass. What I was showing is that the actual torque of the two is about equal, when you take weight into account. If you choose to ignore that fact, thats your choice.

Hmmmm, wonder what a twin turbo set-up runs for a Viper V10???

Old 01-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thing I wanna see is an srt-10 launching at 3000 rpm and not spin like toe said. I really can't believe this *****wagon has caused all this rukus. Now the Lightning folks are turning against one another. If you feel like you might say something stupid, just step away from the computer, and go get a beer.

Old 01-23-2004, 11:10 PM
BTW, the current time by an actual owner was at sea level, at around 53 degrees with good track prep. He ran a 13.5 at 106. Please show me all of the 109 trap speeds, because I sure haven't seen them.
I think it was 13.5@104mph that the Ram SRT-10 ran.

Last edited by NTIMD8; 01-23-2004 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Just ran with an SRT10!