Lightning

Stock Pump vs. Cobra Pump (good/bad)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Technicaly, there are 2 "cobra pumps". Or I should describe them as being percieved by some aftermarket companies as cobra pumps.

The 96-98 version is actually the same as all the other e-fan 4.6L pumps. T-bird, crown vic, Town car, stang gt, ect....

The real "cobra pump" that uses significantly less power is the small 7 bladed one with a shroud welded to the top of the impeller blades.

Rich

Old 12-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM unit on my truck now,
(JDM has chosen a high performance water pump which maintains Ford factory cooling specs while decreasing parasitic losses, resulting in a 4-5 HP gain.)

This is the stock 99 water pump

Old 12-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Another shot

Old 12-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Based on what I have seen on my 96 cobra the water pump referred to as the "cobra" water pump is actually a "cobra R" water pump. The water pump on my 96 cobra looks allot like the 99-02 lightning pump (minus the fan connection shaft) that Speedin Bob has in his post, I cant get a good judgment of the size but it is definitely the same design. The pump that Bob refers to as the 4.6L (aka "Cobra”) is a "Cobra R" pump and is more efficient at pumping water than a regular Cobra water pump. I cannot comment on the power consumption differences of the two because the impellers are of different sizes. One has smaller enclosed impellers and the other has larger open impellers. I will say this, the 03 Lightning water pump looks like it would be the most efficient at pumping water (volume/revolution) but would cost the most power consumption.

Last edited by 03Lightning; 12-11-2003 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Tampa,

Interesting pic. The pump with the open impeller has an additional blade and different blade design than the image I borrowed and posted previously. Thank you for sharing, really.

However, the claim on JDM's website of
(JDM has chosen a high performance water pump which maintains Ford factory cooling specs while decreasing parasitic losses, resulting in a 4-5 HP gain.)
creates additional questions. What is/are Ford's factory cooling specs? I'd sure like to know. Hopefully it will be answered by those in the know.

03Lightning,

The part number I posted above is what most, if not all, Lightning/HD vendors are selling. I don't have the time or desire to check them all. They know who they are.

The same part might or might not have been used on the Cobra R. If it was the same part, marketing it as a Cobra R model is fine and dandy but does that make it a better piece? The answer based on my personal experience with the product is an emphatic NO.

If it wasn't used, then marketing it as a Cobra R unit is misleading potential customers and propogates MISinformation on the various forums in plague-like fashion. Clarification on the proper part number used on the Cobra R is warranted at this juncture.

Hopefully someone knows and/or is willing to share.

On a side note and with limited resources available, it appears Ford changed the design and/or part number for the 96-98 4.6L Mustang. Research thus far hasn't produced the associated part number for the years in question.

Bob

Old 12-11-2003, 10:29 PM
Does the 2003 really have a redesigned pump impeller?

Old 12-12-2003, 07:34 AM
RollinLimp,

While I haven't removed the water pump on my 03 HD, the second image I posted above was taken and provided by a member of NHTOC when he swapped water pumps.

Bob

Old 12-12-2003, 08:05 AM
edit

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 11-22-2005 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by wydopnthrtl
I'm frustrated with all the speculation about this subject.

Guys.

The "ford spec" = MY WORK
The "cobra pump" = MY WORK
The *percieved* "cobra R pump" = MY WORK
Every 4.6L, 5.4L, 6.8L pump was engineered by ME working with Ford.

I don't keep track of all the part numbers so don't ask.

Feel free to ask a specific question and I'll give a specific answer.

A water pump and it's matching volute/volutes are designed together to known quantitative values. When we stick something other than what has been design for in it's place? We get a compromise of some sort. Fortunately for this subject, I designed, tested, and tweaked ALL the modular pumps. So I know more than your average bear about it.

Ask away,

Rich
Then I'm sure you do not like the Mezier pump....Unless you had some design input with that...

Last edited by JeffsLightning; 12-12-2003 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:20 AM
Rich,

Like you, I'm frustrated also yet in no way, shape, or form is this intended to question your work or abilities. You input is greatly appreciated and well received.

Bob

Old 12-12-2003, 10:53 AM
wydopnthrtl......

Guys.

The "ford spec" = MY WORK
The "cobra pump" = MY WORK
The *percieved* "cobra R pump" = MY WORK
Every 4.6L, 5.4L, 6.8L pump was engineered by ME working with Ford.

So what you are saying is that you helped design these pumps, but you went ahead and replaced yours with an aftermarket pump????

I just want to see if i understand that right....if that is the case, you may have just sold me on one

Old 12-12-2003, 12:05 PM
How much more fluid does a stock 99L water pump (7 blade) moved compared to the JDM Cobra pump I am running now?

Old 12-12-2003, 01:09 PM
So what you are saying is that you helped design these pumps, but you went ahead and replaced yours with an aftermarket pump????
NO! I DID design, engineer, validate, prototype, and conducted the production run off of these pumps.

And NO I have not replaced my pump. Where did that question come from?

All these "aftermarket" pumps.... Well I can't tip my hand there. But I'll say that the quality of them is the same as the OEM :wink wink:

TampaBlack99,

There has never been a flow test done of the two in question. So I cannot answer that one.
I will say however that a cobra pump (either one) that's in a truck block will flow less than it would in a real cobra block. The distance between the "strippers" on the block & the impeller tips will have a much larger gap. Thus lowering the efficiency of the impeller moving the fluid.

There are only 2 real things gained by doing this. Virtually no cavitation will occur at high rpms & the pump will consume less power to turn.

Rich

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 12-12-2003 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Rich,

If I wanted to free up HP, which of the above pictured pumps would you recommend?

Old 12-12-2003, 02:20 PM
any pass car pump will free up hp. For a specific pump recommendation, I'd want to know how you use the truck.

Rich

Quick Reply: Stock Pump vs. Cobra Pump (good/bad)