Lightning

How can reducing the antifreeze reduce enging temp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can reducing the antifreeze reduce enging temp?

when the thermostat is what controls it? I know that reducing the amount of glycol (antifreeze) in the coolant makes it more efficient as far as tranferring heat, but won't the thermostat keep the actual engine temp the same regardless?

I can see a clear advantage in reducing the glycol in the intercooler since it is not thermostatically controlled.

I am just curoius as I just changed my stat and slightly reduced the glycol concentration.

Sammy

Old 09-25-2003, 12:03 PM
Cool

Antifreeze's purpose is to raise the boiling point, fight corrosion and lower the temperature at which the coolant freezes.

Water transfers heat better than antifreeze.

By lower the concentration of antifreeze your coolant transfers heat better. How much you can dilute your coolant depends on your location in the world.

Old 09-25-2003, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by LTNBOLT
Antifreeze's purpose is to raise the boiling point, fight corrosion and lower the temperature at which the coolant freezes.

Water transfers heat better than antifreeze.

By lower the concentration of antifreeze your coolant transfers heat better. How much you can dilute your coolant depends on your location in the world.
Right, but the question was not why does it work, the question is how can it work, given that the lower limit of the temperature is determined by the thermostat.

Old 09-25-2003, 06:06 PM
Cool

I guess I need to read more than the subject next time, LOL.

I answered what was in the subject line but the question in the thread is a little different.

In a perfect world your temp would always be right at where your thermostat opens. Idling and hard running can easily put your temp above the stats operating temp. The better you can transfer heat the closer you will stay to operating temp in extreme conditions.

I run a 70% water 30% antifreeze mix.

I've been doing this for 3 years now.

Old 09-25-2003, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the reply guys... now that I have read LTNBOLT's second post, it makes total sense to me now. I also run about a 70/30 ratio, which puts the freezing point right at 0 degrees F, more than enough for here in middle Georgia!

Later,
Sammy

Old 09-26-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 01Lightning
Thanks for the reply guys... now that I have read LTNBOLT's second post, it makes total sense to me now. I also run about a 70/30 ratio, which puts the freezing point right at 0 degrees F, more than enough for here in middle Georgia!

Later,
Sammy
Until you get one of those crazy snowstorms/freezes I see on the news!

...then POP! goes the block!

Quick Reply: How can reducing the antifreeze reduce enging temp?