Lightning

Another chip question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another chip question...

I’m Shane in Illinois and I have a 2000 Lightning with only a single program chip... This year (my first year owning the truck) I stored it winters, and wasn’t sure how it'd do in the snow... I think I’ve came to the conclusion I am going to TRY to drive it year round next year, if one or two days I cant drive it, I’ll get a ride. Better than 3-4 months without it like I did this winter... My concern is the program I have on my chip; I think the timing is set kind of high for a cold day here under 40 degrees or so. So I can either send the chip back to Johnny (its a Diablo) and have the timing reduced? And would that 1 chip work year round? pry not, I’ll need it raised in the summer right... the whole rich lean thing? Or no.
So I’ve been advised to get a dual program chip, if I cant get away with my single....
Here is where the advice comes in.
I can get a Flip chip super chip from the classified forums on one of these Lightning sites, and if it’s a good chip, all I’ll need is a re-burn, no problem now ill have 2 programs and a race/strip program and a safer either street or colder weather program...
I've also came across a Delta chip from Diablo with 2 programs, and the same concept for $200 or so... I have a single Diablo now and I guess I’m happy with it. My question is, I am buying the Factory Tech Valve body as soon as I get this chip situation taken care of, and when I buy that, most of the tuners I talked to offer a free re-burn. (With the purchase of that mod) So I need to know what chip to go with and then on top of that what tuner to go with for the re-burn and who I can order the Valve body from. Does that make sense?
Thank you, Shane McKenna

Old 01-28-2003, 05:28 PM
I don't have 'the' answer for you but my single-program chip didn't cause any detonation the other AM and it was 13*F. Now, I stay out of boost when it's that cold...........

TTT

Dan

Old 01-28-2003, 06:32 PM
I can just try to get a reburn from jl but i know it was detination, i just dont want to have to keep getting reburns, is there a safe program i can come across for uce in any weather in illinois?

Old 01-28-2003, 06:41 PM
your tuner can basically tune you a program for any condition. if you get a program tuned for very cold weather and use it in warmer wheater, it will not perform as well as a chip tuned for that weather, but it will still work. just not perform as well.

Old 01-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Here's my 2 cents...

I have a Super chip flip chip and I also am going to need a reburn cuz I just added a 4 lb. pulley. With the pulley and my chip in I was getting detination. However that could have been for 2 reasons, cold, or old program is not set for the 4 lb. pulley and I live in Michigan.

I removed my chip for now and am sending it out for reburn. I did find however, that with out the chip and with the 4 lb. pulley it seems to run fine.
Go figure!

I did get a little detination though. I added some pensoil octane booster and the detination went away. I raced a 6 speed trans-am with ram air. we started off at 50 mph and went to 100 mph. I jumped him by a car length and held it to 100mph. I have never beet one of those things at any speed and have raced 6 of them all 6 have won by 1 1/2 car length's.

Peace, Suavy

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just pull the chip when the cold weather hits

yeah right, I couldn't live without mine either

Old 01-28-2003, 06:54 PM
So leave the program where it is, and stay out of the throttle if its below 40 degrees? and use octane boost or racing gas?
i dont want to do that! i want to know if i NEED a dual program chip

if there is a safe program i can come across for use in any weather in illinois (and year round...) ? Is there A program i can use weather its 100 degrees or 30 degrees, or do i NEED a dual program chip for seasonal driving?

If theres not a program i can run on my single program chip, i dont wanna stay outa the boost, or use high octane fuel, or ad octane boost all the time... i'd rather spend extra money and get another chip with 2 programs. I want to know my program is safe no matter what weather condition im in. does that make sense? With that do you recomend a dual program chip?
Thanks, Shane

Old 01-28-2003, 07:05 PM
It's your truck do what makes you happy that's what matters.

I have concluded that I will run with out a chip and add octane booster in the winter.

As for my Super chip I'm going to get a every day driving program with a little extra for my 4 lb. pulley and on the other side I am going to get an aggresive drag strip program using my 4 lb. pulley.

Peace, Suavy

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-28-2003, 07:06 PM
One thing for sure, leave the off-the-shelf octane booster for someone else to buy.....It won't make enough difference to off-set the price, even if you stole it.......................

If I were you, I would pose your question to Johnny. He can answer any of your questions without the distraction of hearing ten opinions from ten different members who live in ten different states with differing climates. I also run a Diable chip and when the weather changed, I called Johnny for information. He answered all of my questions and was very happy to do so.

All of the tuners would hope you call them for advise, rather than relying on someone else telling you what they thought they heard when they were asking a friend in Texas what their tuner recommended...........Good luck.

Old 01-28-2003, 07:22 PM
Ouch,
"the man asked for some advice and we gave it!"
We are not tuners and would never begin to act like one. I do however live in michigan which is closer to him than CA.
As far as off the shelf octane booster, I don't make a dime for telling anyone what I use. I was mearly stating that this product made a diffrence in my truck.

Seeking advice from Johnny was great advice also he tuned my truck.

Peace, Suavy

Old 01-28-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Suavy
Ouch,
"the man asked for some advice and we gave it!"
We are not tuners and would never begin to act like one. I do however live in michigan which is closer to him than CA.
As far as off the shelf octane booster, I don't make a dime for telling anyone what I use. I was mearly stating that this product made a diffrence in my truck.

Seeking advice from Johnny was great advice also he tuned my truck.

Peace, Suavy

Sounds like you took the post personal, that was not the intent. He's asking for advise from the wrong people, that was all I was trying to say. As far as octane boost, if it works for you, then that's all that matters.

Old 01-28-2003, 08:16 PM
I guess I did take it wrong? Thanks for clearing that up

Suavy

Old 01-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Ok since you asked for my opinion I'm going to tell you flat out.

If you get a superchip there's two places that tune them decent. Mike troyer and JDM.

If you do a diablo chip then you can go with JL or REM.

Have them set your chip up for the FT shift kit and even if you don't have it installed yet the truck will run fine.

Picking which tuner you go with it a personal decision that you have to make.

Out of above people I would go with JL before anyone else in a heart beat.

Old 01-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Johnny if you can jump in here... i've been trying to get ahold of you for a little while now. i've asked a few questions in this post and im hoping you can help me with some of them...
I have a single program chip and i am in illinois a seasonal climate. I dont do a lot of driving at WOT on a 20 degree day, but i want to know that i have a safe program on my chip, and be able to drive it in any weather. Would reducing the timing and some advancing in the fuel be the cure for detination? Whatever you need to do, my concern is if i can continue using that program on my truck in the summer, on a 90 degree day? I've been told yes, it just wouldnt be AS aggresive? thats fine if i'd lose a 10th or so, 2 and most is fine, reliability comes b4 performance. Then in the summer if i want a dual program chip i'll go with one... But right now ive been happy with your tune, and service. thats why i dont want to pick up that Flip chip for $140...
If you can get back to me on reburning my single program chip to a milder program and with the line pressure in the trans brought back to stock, with the purchase of one of the new Valve bodies you got in stock, i'll take one. Thanks, Shane

Old 01-29-2003, 06:50 PM
The answer is real simple. Get a dual program chip and have it tuned for summer on one side...winter on the other....gwalla...problem solved.

Oh...and octane booster does work to help with that occasional "bad" tank of gas.

Rocks

Quick Reply: Another chip question...